"Damn! We're in a tight spot"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TFPrime, May 10, 2012.

1. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

So after a few posts about getting to brag, and seeing some awesoem recent hauls from like TJ and Wing Sabre and all--seeing all the cash floating around and amazing purchases on here it made me think..

Something happens. We'll say serious. To the point where you need to get your hands on cash like QUICK. You've gotta sell your collection..as in ALL OF IT. Not hanging on to a single figure. Nothing.

Now the question is...how much? You HAVE to sell them off, all at once, one lump sum. But (realistically) how much would you WANT and how much would you (realistically) let it go for..in that you again, HAVE to get rid of them to get cash in...

What's your price to cash out?

PS--Feel free to link to pics of your collection if you'd like and maybe people can weigh in on what they'd pay for yours.

Mines here.
    Collection

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol  interesting thread topic! I'll bite, but I'm going to take the Pawn Stars approach to make this realistic.

For one lump sum, I'd drop my collection for no less than $5,000. It's worth wayyyyyy more than that, but if I need cash quick and this is the real world, I couldn't see a buyer paying any more than that.

3. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe a $150 for mine though in a pinch I might only get a hundred. :( 

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am going to go with I'd want 15K, and I would settle at roughly 10K. Considering I have almost all of the classics, a bunch of G1s, a bunch of MP, etc, etc. 10K would probably break me even. At 15K that person would still be getting a deal.

5. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Sold my original collection in 2004 for around $8,000. Rebuilt, sold most of it again in 07 for about $3,500, bought the car I have now with that cash. Currently in the process of rebuilding, though as the OP stated all figs, there's some I just won't part with no matter what, like my first TF.

6. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, if I was the Pater Familias and had to sell my humble TF collection...I'd sell for about $1000. Of course I feel a bit deluded for thinking I'd get that much money for it :lol .

7. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome SearchmanDS..Perfect.

8. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Even though most of my collection is fairly recent, I'd ask for about $6,000, but I'd settle for no less than $4,000. Almost everything in my collection except for the TFs I owned prior to 2007 are in excellent condition. All out of box, of course, but they've been used almost entirely for display.

Realistically, I'd never sell off the whole thing in one giant sum. Too risky. :lol  There would be a few figures in my collection I'd never part with - chief among them RID Optimus, RID Ultra Magnus, and RID Scourge.

9. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Question makes no sense to me - if I had to sell my collection because I needed the money, then the assumption is that all of my other savings and money sources were not enough to cover it, so it would depend on how much more I really needed.

There's also the same old black market rule: you can sell it for a lot or you can sell it fast, pick which one.

The collection isn't built as an emergency funding source for precisely that reason - it wouldn't sell in a hurry, not even at half or a quarter of the value. If I couldn't sell something to make what I needed at the time, then there's no point in selling it. There are better and easier ways of raising emergency money.

10. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I absolutely need the cash I would let it go for a bare minimum of $1000. Now I've probably put $3-4K into my collection, but as others are saying, if you had to get rid of it fast that's how much I think I could get within a week (most classics, most good movie toys ie all the leaders and HAs, some G1 and unique pieces like G1 shockwave in excellent condition, some masterpieces).

I know I could probably get more as there's some things that are $100+ (leader brawl, MP megatron, Leader prime+jetfire combo, City commander) but again, this is about speed, not maximizing profit lol. Keep in mind I hope it would NEVER come to that

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i abhor selling things- i actually hate the idea of selling something that isn't mint to someone because of the risk they won't like it.

so, even if i was Ramen broke, i'd do other things long before i even bothered selling them,

but a ballpark figure, i think i could get $3,000.
    (Fort Max ain't cheap, fellas. it adds to the value.)

12. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Hmm well with the stuff that I have, I could probably get about $2500 for it all. At the least.

13. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    For me, my brother once asked me how much I could get for my collection, and looking around I told him 2K, a lot of my collection is things that the B/S/T forum are flush with, but I have my 2006 botcon Maximals. Japanese MP Grimlock, original City commander, Shadow scyther, energon Magnus , sealed classics Devastator....a few things, that I think 2K would be a reasonable amount to reach in a reasonable amount of time.

14. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it's too complicated for you to go with, just don't bother then. Much easier for you this way.

15. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    ... what in the fuck....

As for the thread... man, especially being married and all that now, there's a lot more than me to take into priority, so it's a "my family's broke" instead of "I'm broke", so then it stops being a matter of what I think it's worth, and becomes whatever I can get. I can starve, but I'll be damned if the Mrs. will.

16. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    This. Keeping it all in perspective. They are, after all, just TOYS. They can (for the most part) be replaced.

17. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I'm just teasing you man,

It's a comment on how your collection went from Zero to The standard of a huge collection worth being noted of in the OP post in the span of a year. and how you're here so much if someone names you in a post I know you'll have seen it and responded within 15 minutes regardless of where they put it.

18. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    ... Did I respond to this thread within 15 minutes? And, even if what you said WAS accurate, what business of yours or what relevance to this thread does the amount of time i spend in this site factor in? And, I'd even go as far as to say that you spend a fair amount of time on here yourself if you're able to conduct your business AND keep tabs on me.

Pointless jabs aside, this is a pretty good thread: its nice to have subtle reminders to everyone as a whole that these toys really aren't a priority outside of luxury.

19. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

3.5K and I'd sell. That is over 500 toys.

20. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

hrm i'm not sure, maybe around 1500 i hope?

didn't someone a while post a thread about a collector having a room full of transformers and he was trying to sell it for 20,000 or something?