Damn overpriced Macross figures.....

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Evan Goldsborough, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

I've been trying to find a decent-priced yet good-sized Veritech figure for a while now. I mean, I don't have any cash at the moment, but I'm still looking....

It seems that every store I go to have the figures at BRUTALLY high prices. I don't blame the stores as much as I do the makers, but it still seems like FAR too much money for one of these things. I look at the Bandai transformable ones, and $100+. Yamato's are $100+. And on and on.

I have found some Gundam-style kits at fair prices (snap-kit with polycaps), but those are permamently in robot mode. In a similar vein, I've found fair priced jet-mode kits, but they stay in jet mode.

The only ones I can consider getting are these ( http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TOY10093&mode=retail ), and even then, I'd like something a bit bigger......

So, most of that was a rant, but I do have one question: Why are these things so much money, anyway?

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno. I REALLY want a low viz Valk with super parts, but I never have $160 laying around. :( 

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been following new Macross products for the last couple of years, with the intent of eventually picking up a few... but it dawned on me the other day that I've never seen one I like as much as the Jetfire mold & deco.

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And you can pick up a decent condition Jetfire for way less than the price of the current Valks.

5. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

If you want a Low Viz you're gonna have to shell out alot more than $160. I think you may be referring to the Stealth.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Oops, you are right. I meant the new stealth model.

7. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Beats me, i'd love a nice sized YF-19 from Macross Plus but not for 100 bucks heh.

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i already got jetfire, so the only one i am interested in are the toyami small ones, and i want one of those armored ones, 1/42th scale or what ever they are. other then that. macross really does not interest me that much, because everything is so expensive. it's crazy. even the macross thing coming out is $200 some, and that's a lot for one toy/model.

9. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I have series two of those little guys (Hikaru, Max, Milia.. showtypes) and they are nice little figures. But nothing compared to my 1/60 VF-0A. I shelled out a lot of money for him, and he's mostly worth it. I also am waiting for my Stealth VF-1J. Those are all i have so far... I love them, but my God they are way too expensive. I want the upcoming SV-51, but people are suggesting that it may retail for over $200, then the usual import mark-ups...

Crap.

10. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    There is a series of 1/72 scale transforming valks that Bandai did some time ago. They also did 1/100 transforming ones but they did not transform anything like the current toys.

I still have a few of the 1/72 scale ones around in the store for sale. They run about $35 each. They are the brown VF-1A tho. They have die cast pieces in them like the landing gear and some of the joints. They have to be painted to make them look any good so you need some experience.

Spencer.

11. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

See, that's another thing I noticed. The VF-1As are ALWAYS cheaper. The reason's pretty obvious (head sculpt), but it still bugs me.

If it wasn't the A model, I'd be interested, though. I've always liked the more realistically colored mecha....

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

They may be ridiculously expensive... but they're sooooo worth it. I started out last year with a 1/48 VF-1A Mass Production (aka "cannon fodder"). Got it for about $150 shipped, which is about as good as it gets for the 1/48 line. I think the cheapest I've ever got one was my VF-1J Hikaru for $147 shipped. But I have to say, once you've been bitten by the Yammy bug there's no going back. I've got 10 1/48 VF-1 figures, two 1/60 VF-0A figures, got two 1/60 YF-19 figures en route, and two 1/60 VF-0A w/ghost boosters on pre-order. I'm an addict I tells ya. An addict!

13. Dolza_Khyron

i don't know if they're worth it, i mean, i can get sonic galaxy convoy gift set, for the same price, which is not 1 transforming toy, but 3.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Now that would become an issue of quantity over quality. The 1/48 VF-1s are better engineered, more detailed, looks realistic (for a fictional mecha), and has a nice amount of articulation.

I think the reason that Macross figures are so expensive is because there just isn't as gigantic a market for it as Gundam, or Transformers. All the figures are aimed at the older collector crowd that will pay more for premium figures than dinky little ones.

Now the Toynami 1/100 scales aren't bad especially for what you get at the price. You get an almost perfect transformation Valkyrie (only requiring a hand swap and heat shield swap), a display stand, plenty of missiles and landing gears. They've also got some pretty good articulation. Downsides are the joints on Series 1 aren't as tight as series 2. The VF-1S head looks too thin. The skull on the heat shield is bubbly and molded (seriously, why?). These are ideal though if you want something around $20.

Unfortunately with Macross there's no middle ground. You can either get the expensive but awesome figures or the cheaper and smaller figures. I've got 4 1/48s and they're awesome. My Max and Millia are 2 of my most favorite pieces in my toy collection.

15. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The 1/100s are made of cheap plastic (well at least the ones I got were [series 2]) but are otherwise great display pieces. The tailfin backpack compnent of my Milia Valk snapped off within a day so thats just sitting in its box now... the other two are on display and they look nice enough.

But yeah the 1/100s plastic cheap (EAPECIALLY compared with tf plastic)

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

17. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Well. If Harmony Gold wouldn't put the kiebash on Yamato products in the US I wouldn't have to pay importing fees.

..and there's no way I'd touch a Toynami product with a twenty foot clown poll.

18. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

Yamato 1/48s are not overpriced. Compare any of them to say MP-03 Stargreen and you'll feel like you've just been blessed. And these guys are big and solid, 11" tall, over 12" with fast packs.

You have to see these things up close and play with them, these are true masterpieces. They define balance between robot and alt modes, and perfect transformation. None of the 3 modes have any real problems functionallly or aesthetically. Unlike MP-01 with the weaker alt mode, and MP-03 with......well, a few problems.
    The only thing that could be better is one in diecast.

Oh man your killin me, SKULL-1 is the one and only in my book. One of the first big items in my collection and still catches my eye all the time. Jetfire is very cool, but he's just a modified Hikaru paint scheme, a copy, not original. The 1/48 VF-1S SKULL-1 is a must for any big collection, you'll never regret it.

[​IMG]

19. Dolza_Khyron

i was thinking more of that fun value, over quality, myself.

with the 1/48's being basically just a bigger, more detailed and more possible jetfire. i really don't see that being a whole lot more fun then any of the 1/100 scale stuff from toynami. except with toynami one's you can actually afford to get more then one of them, and display them together, for the price of just one 1/48, you can get the 6 toynami ones, which will actually allow you to have some sort of display with them. and the booster packs for the yamato one's are like $60-130, just for the attactments. to me that's just crazy and possibly even insane.

while i agree quality is better then quantity, being fun, is what is really important, and if you can not afford to buy more then 1 of a toy in a series, then what is the fun in owning one at all? i mean it's like owning a Luke with out a Vader, Superman with out a villian is just not as fun, what is he going to beat up spiderman?

oh and that's my thing with macross too. with all the valkeries, no matter which one it is, it is basically all the same thing, being released over and over and over again. where is the 1/48th scale battle pods to go with the valkeries? there is just nothing for it to be displayed with... but other valkeries. that or just have it be all by it self.

20. Dolza_Khyron

well until it breaks :lol 

then you cry.