Damaged/lost molds

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SoundShock, Aug 10, 2009.

1. SoundShock

SoundShock Go home, Steve.

The only damaged/lost molds I know are Sunstreaker and Mirage. What else am I missing?

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I think the very first Frenzy/Rumble molds have been lost, but they have been reproduced by Hasbro and Takara since. I'm not an expert, but I think that's what happened.

Hasbro and Takara keep a lot of their molds, so they don't lsoe very many. I think the Combaticon molds are a bit damaged due to being used so much, hence the QC issues on the Encore release of them.

3. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Beast Wars Rattrap

I believe if I remember correctly that even though a K.O. version was released,the original mold for the figure was destroyed.

4. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Wheeljack, Dinobots, Constructicons are also lost/damaged.

Some other unusable molds are Shockwave and Jetfire because those two molds are not owned by Hasbro/Takara/Tomy.

5. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aren't the Car Robot Brothers from Car Robots/Robots in Disquise totally ruined and able to be reproduced?

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The cost of reverse engineering is coming down. As it stands now you could for $30000 USD buy two machines, a laser scanners, and a CnC milling machine that could reproduce a fully functional Rumble/Frenzy inside 30 minutes.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Soundwave [original design]
    Wheeljack
    Grimlock
    Slage
    Slude
    Snarl
    Swoop

just to name a few

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I believe Hasbro lost the molds for Leader BayFormers Blackout, Leader Animated Lugnut and Supreme Animated Omega Supreme. :p 
    I heard that too. Pity 'cos those are some of my favourite molds.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    but could it create a mold that of a high enough quality to survive making thousands of the figures without degradation?

we dont know exactly what it takes to make a mold up to hasbro and takara's standards.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I suppose after you scanned the parts of a disassembled figure the parts could be tweaked and assembled in a computer so they all fitted together snugly before new toolings were made.

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I don't think it could make a mold. It was a segment of Popular Mechanics Jay Leno's garage. They'd still have make a steel mold.

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    molds we know are gone for sure:
    wheeljack
    mirage
    the dinobots
    sunstreaker
    bw basics (terrorsaur, rattrap, that group)
    the original soundwave

there might be more, but those are for sure (hasbro has stated these are gone)

13. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

hound's was damaged but they retooled it a bit for the book style reissue (kinda surprised he hasn't hit encore to help recoup the costs)

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I thought it was just terrorsaur and rattrap? several of the basics were released in Robot Masters and they were fine.

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aren't a lot of the Armada Minicon molds damaged as well, given how many times some of them were released?

And, I don't know whether it's "officially" considered damaged, but the Classics Seeker mold is definitely breaking down as well.

16. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I'm kind of confused on how molds actually break. Is there just one specific mold they keep and then if that breaks the mold is gone for good?

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasn't the status of most of the combiners been up in the air (with the exception of Bruticus, though with the issues of the Encore release even that mold may not be in tip top shape)? I know Devastator's been written off (damn) but I thought Superion, Menasor, Defensor, Computron and Abominus were in the mix (I have no idea about Predaking and Piranacon since they got Japanese reissues but nothing from the main reissue lines). I hope I'm wrong and it's just Devastator (or even better, none), but I thought most of the combiners were in the mix too.

Does anyone know anything about Reflector, Springer and the '86 movie characters that haven't popped back up (Cyclonus, Scourge, Wreck-Gar, Blurr)?

18. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have always wondered about the combiners. It seems like their only reasons for never releasing them was that there were so many KOs available. Never heard whether the molds were gone or not.

19. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    It does seem strange that there would be only one mold for everything. Yeah, they're costly to produce but it would suck balls if a production run started and the mold broke an hour in for some reason. I hear the molds are shipped around different factories too, which is how some got lost.
    I would've thought for more recent molds that there would be some kind of computer copy of it that the toolings are made from, so if a mold did get worn out, broken or lost it doesn't mean it's gone forever.
    I used to work in the plastics industry but that was before computers were heavily used for designing everything.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    A lot.