Dairycon - Fond du Lac, WI - March 29th, 2008

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Super_Megatron, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Linky no worky. :( 

3. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Sites overloaded.

Is this con open to non-residents of Wisconsin?

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, you can go as long as you register. Heck If it weren't so close to BotCon, I might go.
    They also usually have a cool convention exclusive.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  5. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Awesome. I'll be there again with my son this year.

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:

Indeed, I want those Spychangers!!

7. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    can anyone who is going get me the exclusives?

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Crap, would love to go someday but this year it's too close to the Botcon.

9. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I'd love to go but according to Mapquest its an 11+ hour drive, now if it were half that I'd so be there.

10. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Exclusives are made by the number of people who pre-register. If people who register don't show up, the extras are raffled away. So there may be a chance to get one, but probably not.

11. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Collector of Transformers

Ebay:
    Right on my birthday! Didn't make it this year but will try to go next year 2008.

12. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Its times like these that I wish I had a better paying job so I could go to these events. :drool: 

13. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    With this being the closest Transformer-related convention to me, I know I've really wanted to go to this over the last few years. I have really enjoyed the story behind all the Con Exclusive figures and CBFF has really talked it up whenever I talk to him about it!

I think I'll be attending this year, I just need to wait a little longer before I commit to it. Money's been tight again since the holidays (again), and I have to see if we'll be able to afford the trip out to Fon du Lac, food expenses, etc... *But I'm definitely hopeful!*

14. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Hopefully you'll be able to attend. My son and I have been going for the past few years, and it's always been a blast. :) 

15. Methusalen

News Credits:
    I've seen CBFF's pics from last year's 'con (the gallery at Seibs anyways), but don't think I've gotten that good of a description of the actual event... The pictures provided are mostly of the custom-figure contest & the Dealer room...

Don't mind my asking (again), but I've got a few questions...
    1) How many attendees did Dairycon get last year/the year before? -I see that the Ramada Inn's website says the Ballroom (which I assume is what is rented for the 'con) accomodates 400 people, not including the 6 private meeting rooms -which I'd guess would be where the dealer room(s) would be?
    2) This would be my first 'con, but am leery about it being worth my time driving the 5 hours & 300 miles (one way)?
    3) How's the parking situation? What options do I have?
    4) How many entrants were there in the art competition last year? -Assuming I get my "Kitty Truck" finished, I plan on entering it. Do I have any luck against the competition?
    5) What were your thoughts on the con in general? Favorite part/Least favorite? Pretty cool? Did you spend ALL DAY there? -If I can make it, I plan on staying the whole day, will I get bored? What's there to do besides the listed activities?
    6) What are the events like? How many people participate in them at a time? What's your favorite? etc etc...
    7) What all goes on that the DTF DOESN'T mention on the Dairycon site? I understand the schedule...
    But is there anything else I should plan for? Anything that goes on that they 'forgot' to mention? -Do some of us from Seibs/TFW2005/other TF-related sites get together for breakfast/lunch/dinner somewhere?

and finally...
    8) Anyone have any idea what the exclusive is going to be this year? The website still says "TBA" & won't share it's secret with me... All I have to say is that PM's are wonderful things... *shifty eyes*

Anyways, sorry for my rambling, and I guess I could have PM'd this all to cbff, but thought I'd get someone else's opinion on Dairycon as well... Some of you who may've gone in the past, and anyone out there that travels as far as (or farther) than I'd have to!

Thanks a lot for your time,
    Methusalen out...

16. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Actually, in previous years, it's been one of the private rooms. Although, I think this year, Fred has upgraded us to the ballroom. I don't know for sure though, so I'd have to ask him.
    I've done that before (Madison, WI to Ashland, WI). Difference being, you get freeway 90% of the way. :lol 
    FREE PARKING There is a parking ramp connected to the Ramada.
    I think there were between 7 and 12 (individuals, not works)
    It's pretty fun. Plenty of stuff to buy, very nice people to talk to. There's not really a least favorite part I can single out.
    I've spent the whole day there the past couple years. I may leave earlier this year if I carpool with others or not. Eating at Ole Country Buffet after the con is a nice way to wrap things up though.
    Well, look around for stuff to buy and talk with others about TF's. That's the best part, actually being able to have face to face conversations with people about TF's.
    A lot of people participated in the Jumpstarter races and the assemble your own TF contest. Both were fun to participate in.
    I guess you'll have to come to find out! :D 

That's the best part about Dairycon, there are NO site boundaries. People who spend the majority of their time on one site will talk with others and won't single anyone out for not being a part of the online group.

It's a mystery (to most of us) every year. Don't expect something like a repaint of movie prime either though. Expect a repaint of either minicons, scouts, spychangers, and possibly deluxes (Fred usually makes a "Lucky Draw" Dairycon exclusive that only a few people end up owning each year).

Oh sure, I answer everything and see that, LOL.

17. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Nah, thanks again for answering my questions again! I was just looking to ask get another's opinion on the 'con, since I've spoken to you about it before! I really do want to go this year! I only have three real concerns that may keep me from going...
    1) Can we afford to go?
    2) Do we have anyone that'd like to go with us?
    3) Can I trust my car to make the trip, or can I borrow someone else's for it?

So, if it looks like we can afford it, and find someone to go with (or someone's car to borrow), we'll be going... I figure I've got about a month to figure everything out, and I'm already kinda making plans regarding the trip!

18. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, about 1 and a half months (registration closes March 1st). I would try snooping around the sightings threads on the sites and try to find someone else who is going to save on gas. I'm pretty sure that some Minnesotans were there last year. Hope you can make it!

19. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be seeing you chumps tomorrow.

20. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I'll be a little late again this year. My sister's car has brake issues, so she's using mine. She works from 3-8/9 AM, so depending on what time she gets done affects when I can get on the road and make the 1.5 hour journey. :(