Heavy/Scratch: DairyCon Convoy (Pretender Prime)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ALPHAMAGNUS, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS Sector70: Reformatting... Veteran

Here's a custom I've had at 99% completion for quite some time.

I wanted to do a version of Optimus as a Pretender, but was lacking a direction, then I simply searched "pretender Optimus" and found Dairycon, a Wisconsin TF convention. Needless to say I was hooked.

[​IMG]

I found this clear Halo figure that I thought would work, so I painted the body gray, but I really liked the clear aspect so I used translucent blue and red to make his armor.

His gun is from Samurai Man-at-arms, and the inner bot is an unmodified RTS legends prime.

So I had the bulk of this done, and I was searching for a good head for him. As you can see the DCConvoy looks like Burt Reynolds, but I guess they never made toys for The Bandit (they did but they are rare and awful looking) So I was screwed. I then scoured the internets for a decent figure that had a cowboy, nothing until I found Macho Man Randy Savage's toy a few months ago, unfortunately he died before I could find that figure, so it's not easy to find cheap now.

Fast forward to a couple days ago and I found a cheap Terry Funk toy (which never appeared on my searches) BINGO! cowboy hat and facial hair! so I chiseled the extra face hair off and slapped the head on!

I based this off the fantastic work or Aprim (Primo's Customs) as I really wanted a genuine pretender prime.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. SwerveGears

SwerveGears The King of Victory

News Credits:
    Cool!

3. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

pretender prime looks like peter cullen

4. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol, thats pretty damn cool. Nice work.

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Nice

6. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    from shoulder and up I think it sucks.... but the body is sssssoooooooooo PREFECT!!! :D 

7. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    That's a little harsh :gen069:  I thought we were supposed to be civil 'round these parts.

Those Dairy Con concepts are always super charming, and I think you did a gine job of scrounging up the parts to make this work as a "Classics" version in the Aprim style. RTS Micro-Prime really WANTS to be a Pretender after all :) 

Thanks for sharing!

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm pretty sure you could've come up with a more constructive way of stating this...

Anyway, I think this is interesting and different. It reminds me very much of that Liam Neeson/ROTF Leader Prime someone did 2 years ago.

9. G60Force

Ebay:
    Ok ok.... but I just realy realy don't like it.... (the head I mean)
    better this way, sorry but since the second part was +++ I though a -- would still make it + ;) 

10. Satomiblood

Nope, that's not how it works.

Anyway, I'm really interested in the gun as well. I'll have to google "Samurai Man-at-arms".

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    His pretender shell looks like Geoffrey Rush.

12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Somebody's really feeling themselves huh..I guess we can start saying what sucks in your threads instead of posting CC or no comment at all.

Great Work Alpha, love that the truck fits inside this guy!

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Dude epic. the head looks like captain barbosa. lol. I really like how the little prime attaches.

14. Satomiblood

Ha! I just realized how much the head on the original DairyCon shell reminds me of a young Burt Reynolds.

Were they basing it on Peter Cullen or just a generic cowboy?

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like this custom overall. I don't think that the head works all that well, though. The neck area is what bothers me a bit more. I do enjoy the approach and concept with this, and I like the body of the Pretender "shell". I also really like the choice and application of the translucent parts - I think that's a pretty neat take on this piece. It's clearly inspired by aprim's customs, as noted (and as noted, they're really cool as well - I certainly admit his work inspires me, as does ALPHAMAGNUS').

If someone doesn't like something, they don't like something. People are free to post what they think about artwork here. Keep the board rules in mind when you post, though. Radicons has always (and will always) encourage constructive criticism. Keep in mind that artists are submitting their work to share with others, but also to get genuine feedback from other artists. Saying something "sucks" without an explanation doesn't help anyone. If you don't like something, fine, but it's not helpful if you don't say "why" respectfully. Also . . . .

. . . . No, I don't wanna see this either, in the sense that just because one person says something other feel like they have free reign to troll and attack. By all means (like I said above), post your thoughts whether they be positive or negative. However, no one person needs to be singled out while everyone else gets their egos stroked.

In regards to critique, I'll even go so far to say that I've seen quite a bit that some artists tend to feel like their eBay sales are gonna take a dive if something negative is said. Art is a brutal, cut-throat world, and especially if one is doing something of a professional status one needs to have a thick skin and welcome a professional level critique. Those that are doing this for a hobby often want the same level of critique, and tend to get it far more often than those making a buck. That's just a little bit of my own observations, folks.

Personally, whether someone is making customs for a "hobby" or for profit, I wish the artist the very best regardless. Also, I simply enjoy seeing really well-made customs that are clearly inspired by the toys and the media (e.g., being a true fan of the fiction).

Whatever the case, remember to keep it civil, ladies and gents. :) 

16. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

That is really cool. What wrestler did you get the head from? It looks familiar.

17. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Pretender Convoy's Page on Dairycon's site.

I'm floored to see someone using a Dairycon character as inspiration for a custom! I've attended the show since 2008, and have had the opportunity to hold a Pretender Convoy in my hands! Neat figure that was...
    I believe the original shell was that of Pretender Jazz's, with the cowboy hat and mustache! Yes, Peter Cullen was the inspiration for the original Dairycon Pretender Shell's design. In fact, the Pretender Shell itself is called "Pete" in the fanfics!

As for your custom, I love how the figure attaches to the shell, I LOVE the use of colors; though I'm not a big fan of the head. I think it looks too 'high' on the shoulders. The helmet of the original armor sits lower on the figure, right?
    Did the neck have to be adapted so that the Prime figure would fit inside the armor? Would it be possible to just swap the head with the original helmet, keeping the look of the armor in the new figure?

18. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS Sector70: Reformatting... Veteran

What the hell happened in this thread , I'll agree the neck still bugs me but it's hard to get the rts prime inside him other wise

I may look into another neck or maybe just give him a collar ( I kinda settled on this after it was a wip for too long) constructive criticism drives me to do better. Thanks guys.

19. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Yo G60, show the love, man! Point out the good and bad points, then offer tips on how some areas could be fixed, if anything. I agree, that was a bit harsh, but I'm sure you don't mean anything harsh by it. It's just your personal preference on the head.

Now Toby, this sucker is AWESOME! I think the head is sitting just tad bit high, but it still fits in and looks great (better than the concept on it, which looks eerily like Burt Reynolds--now it looks like Peter Cullen!). Now what was used for the body? It looks almost dead on to the concept!

20. G60Force

Ebay:
    agreed, wasn't meant like that ;) 

yup hope you can find a way of fixing it :D  let us know when V2 is ready!