Dai Atlas C-348 & C-888 Differences

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Th0r4z1n3, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I recently won an auction for the C-888 Dai Atlas KO, and was wondering if there were any differences between it and the original Dai Atlas release. Just to be clear, the one I'm talking about is the one with the Autobot logos on it, I already own the KO with the Batman logos and there are some pretty obvious paint differences on that one.

Comparison pics between the two would be awesome. Given the "Holy Grail" nature of Dai Atlas to most collectors, I certainly understand that the odds of someone having both the original and KO of this figure are already pretty thin, compound that with the fact that the said individual would have to "just happen" to stumble across this thread, and be inclined enough to take some pics and post them... I completely understand that this is a long shot. :D 

2. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

You bastard! You won that one!
    JK.

It was a little out of my range right now (my plastic-crack addiction has run thousands of dollars recently), but I saw that one.

Oddly, even it is rare these days. I had that one before, and it is just slightly better than the knockoff (bat symbols) of the knockoff, IIRC. Still, the motor will work (sort of....and loudly) and the casting and paint are better, so that's a good buy, IMO.

I can't really help with comparing it to the real thing - I'm sorry. It's damn rare outside of Japan.

3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    There seems to be a general perception that the KO *with* the Autobot logos is better quality.
    I've found otherwise in the form of electrics that make plenty of noise, but do little else.

YMMV and all that.

4. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yup that was me. XD It ended a bit higher than the one I was trying to snipe last week, but what the heck. I have the Batman one, and am actually completely happy with the quality on it so if this on is supposed to be better than that one...AWESOME! Really, the only reason I've been gunning for this one is because my Batman one has started to yellow pretty badly and doesn't have any of it's accessories; now that I've got the room, I'd like to display all my city-formers in base-mode.

I seems that every listing and thread I've come across over the years say that there are slight differences between the Autobot KO and the official Dia Atlas...but nobody ever points out what the differences are. LOL. I'm mainly looking to appease my curiosity, but ya never know when that bit of knowledge may come in handy.

5. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Dai Atlas with the Autobot logos was released several years before the one with the batman symbols, and from reviews waaaaay back i remember the only issue it had compared to the real thing, was the micromaster

6. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Wasn't the handle for the shield like way too loose too?

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I got the KO version earlier this fall as well and I can confirm the shield handle is pretty loose. From what I can tell in pictures, the head sculpts might be slighty different as well? And of course the Micromaster. Other than that, I was pleasently surprised with the quality of it, being a KO and all.

8. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

I think I wrote with too much authority.

I should say that the last time I had the Autobot symbol version was about 10 years ago. My recollections/comparisons are that:

-Both have crap motors. Really.
    -The micromaster is a pile of crumbly, loose dookie on both. I don't think it's actually Speeder, but an all gray, bad, bad copy of Detour. I've looked at pictures of Speeder and he looks different (and is supposed to be a prototype-model 'Vette.
    -The paint applications are...more accurate, if nothing else, compared to the Bat-Symbol KO.
    -The head on the Batsymbol version, is not only painted wrong, but looks like it might be a different (goofier) sculpt.

Really wish somebody would do a HQ KO....I guess know that KOtoys is kaput, that ain't gonna happen.

Anyone ever do a knockoff of Roadfire or Sonic Bomber?

9. CzarAlex

CzarAlex 2005 Oldie...kinda.

I have the Autobot symbol KO version and may have some info..sadly, without much reference.

First, both the sticker sheets and instructions are Takara branded and have C-348 on them. The Autobot symbols are indeed Autobot symbols. I was rather active on here years and years and years ago (like...1999-2001) and remember someone talking about a possibility that unsold Dai Atlas units were sold to the KO company and repackaged for sale but some things don't support that, like the lack of a Takara brand on the toy itself. Like some have mentioned, the micromaster is a piece of crap. Utter crap. It doesn't even transform right since the arms appear backwards (pics available upon request).

I've had other knock off toys in the past but this one is VERY solid and compares to other TF toys of the time period.

With the backstories that were floating around in the last 90s, early 00's, the very solid construction of the unit itself, and the legit branded instruction sheet and sticker sheet with actual Autobot symbold and Takara branding (and c-348), I consider this a mysterious toy that may have a legit non-KO history.

In my eyes, given the above info, I consider it one of my most prized TFs..right next to my Lio Convoy and Beast Wars II (Second) Galvatron. Heh and the G1 TFs I still have from when I was a kid.

10. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

The lnockoff has gone up in price as well lol, The Original has as well. Back around 2002 BBTS got a hold of a case of these guys at Botcon " warehouse find", I was lucky enough to get real sealed minty one for $200. I believe there are 2 knockoff versions and the Brave Recolored one.

11. CzarAlex

Nice! Glad I got mine for $25 on Ebay back in 2000!

12. combaticon164

The knockoff's box tends to fall apart easily, and I know that the Micromaster is grey compared to the original white. I don't know about the quality of the plastic since I never held the original or the knockoff. I think a knockoff sold for $175-180 the other day and it was stated that it was a knockoff.

13. CzarAlex

Ill post some detailed pics later/tomorrow of Dai Atlas and the micro master.

14. combaticon164

Cool I would like to see them.

15. Th0r4z1n3

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Four years later I'm looking to replace my KO with a real one. :)  I was looking for some information about how to tell the difference... and came across this thread. :D 

Pics of the head on a legit Dai atlas would come in handy right now *hint* *hint*