3D Artwork: D/L's 3D Scanning/3D Printing Project Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by destrongerlupus, Mar 16, 2012.

1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Update:

I've got a nice clean scan of the Aelita bust, and now I'm working on turning the head into a part for BotCon Aelita 1

[​IMG]

I've been a HUGE fan of the rapid-prototyping "3D Printing" revolution for years now, and have been THRILLED to see the explosion of Shapeways based products in this community! I've purchased a ton of models from artists on these boards, and even commissioned a few original designs ('cause ya' know Radicon Patron and all ;) )

But as amazing as all that has been, I'm SO enamored with DIY 3D, I'm taking it to the next level, and am in the process of getting my own 3D ABS printer for my own workshop.

But, of course, I need models to print :)  I've got a few that I've commissioned, as mentioned above, and I've started teaching myself a bit of Sketch-Up modelling (see WIP Red Alert below)

[​IMG]

But what's got me REALLY excited about the possibilities of the DIY future is that 3D-scanning is becoming available to the hobbiest as well.

I'm still trying to find the best work-flow, and I've already got a rig picked out that I can print, once I get my printer, which should produce even better results, but just toying around for a few weeks now is starting to produce some exciting results:

[​IMG]

I think BotCon Aelita may finally be getting herself a proper head in the next few months (not to mention a different custom I've been working on that will be more in scale with Faith Leader :) )

I've definitely got some skilling-up to do to get these models cleaned up (though the new rig looks like it will get MUCH cleaner results...), but it's proving to be a very fun and exciting project already!

D/L

Attached Files:

2. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    How much do they cost?

3. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    My Printer is costing me about 2 grand USD, the scanning-rig I have now, as well as the improved one I'm going to build, is cobbled together from off-the-shelf-parts, experimental software, lots of research, and ridiculous amounts of patience, so...that's a little harder to price out.

Last I checked real scanners cost somewhere in the 100k (maybe multiple 100's) range, and even renting time on one (assuming you have a facility near you) was like $100/hr or something ridiculous. That was a few years ago though, so they might have come down a little since then, but I don't think by much.

D/L

4. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Spent some time building out First Aid's helmet today.

I suspect I'm going to end up scrapping him and starting over before all is said and done, but we'll see how he prints out, it's likely that the imperfections won't be noticeable at the small-scale.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Update:

I've got a nice clean scan of the Aelita bust, and now I'm working on turning the head into a part for BotCon Aelita 1

[​IMG]