Minor/Repaint: D.E.R.T. Number #03 "Warhead" (W.I.P.)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Autobot Burnout, May 21, 2011.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

So, I've created my own little group of Decepticons; the "Decepticon Earth Recon Team" (D.E.R.T. for short), and while I've gotten the leader done (Mudflap), I've yet to get started on the other four.

Now, today I got lucky and found a clearanced-priced Iron Man Humvee crossover (The Captain Hummerica retool that was SUPPOSED to be Punisher, but got made into Stark instead). The original idea was that this was supposed to be my Metal Gear inspired D.E.R.T. member; Foxhound, but upon handling this guy he feels more like another D.E.R.T. member; Warhead, the heavy weapons guy. The fact the "Punisher" gun is also so rediculously huge even for Transformer standards also had something to do with it.

With the original concept for Warhead, he was supposed to be a repainted Recon Ironhide with a blockier head, the reasoning behind that idea being that he actually came with so many spare weapons. Another part of the concept was that he'd have these HUGE twin chain guns (another idea scrapped from the Foxhound concept) that could be equiped in both modes. I tried out the original concept with my 07 Voyager Ironhide, and even with considering the mold differences there was going to be some MAJOR mods needed in order to get the idea to work. But what about this new idea with Iron Hummerman?
    [​IMG]

And in vehicle mode:
    [​IMG]

What's beautiful is that these were acomplished with NO mods. The chainguns, which are from some Armored Core set, have what is supposed to be decorative giant rivets portruding from the bottoms (as seen in the vehicle mode pic, as there I use the original connecting pegs to hold the handles in place). As it turns out, these are JUST the right size to fit into the arm holes. I may need to do a little adding on of styrene to make it a solid fit, but in vehicle mode I don't need to make any such mods.

So, the only thing I'll need to work out is a different head, since if I just repaint the current head, I'm going to get something that looks like Jungle Camo War Machine in the end. Still, I'm excited to get this custom team of mine going again, and Mudflap won't be all alone anymore:
    [​IMG]

And yes, even though he's the second of the team to get made, Warhead is still going to be #03. Foxhound will still be #02, he's going to be from the ROTF Brawn mold (and because that mold has two pistols, that's why the chainguns were moved from Foxhound to Warhead)

Attached Files:

2. SwerveGears

SwerveGears The King of Victory

News Credits:
    Cool.

3. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

wow ,love this sculpt and really must get a few ,so many customs all looking so good but also seeing the Wolverine painted up looking great is just awesome

4. Autobot Burnout

Well, I think I got a bit carried away in how much I got done today, namely priming the entire figure and handpaining the camo pattern:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As can be seen, the paint seems to be providing enough friction as to keep the chainguns in place without any support...the left side, anyway. I'm still having issues with the right one for some reason, as that chain gun fell off within a minute of this photo being taken. Might need to try the super-glue barrier trick with that one. The left one is holding just fine, though, which is good.
    [​IMG]

I also needed to do something about the head, as like I stated earlier, I don't want Jungle Camo War Machine. Since I don't have any spare heads, I figured I might as well try to use the Iron Man head. Unlike Wolverine's head, which was more or less easy to do since there were a lot of flat surfaces for styrene bits and also could be easily genericized by removing Wolvy's color scheme, Iron Man's head was pretty much ALL curves and is pretty distinctive. I did manage to put in some "cheek plates" to cover the gaps just below the jaw and I also gave him a "nose" of sorts (this isn't a Transformers: Prime character, so he has to have a nose). The big feature is the "warning stripe goggles" I had to put in, which are critical as they were where I got the idea for Warhead in the first place(they actually were inspired by Megatron's helmet in IDW's "Megatron: Origins", which had warning stripes along the brow area).
    [​IMG]

He should be done by the week's end, provided I can get a fix for that stupid chaingun...

5. Autobot Burnout

Okay, after a long period of procrastination, I finally got Warhead to the point where he's almost done, just needs some of my "mud mix" to really make him look good (although not nearly as much as what I used on Mudflap:lol ). I also FINALLY got the other chain gun to stay in place. All I needed was a lot of profanity, some Styrene work, trial and error, and more profanity. I'll post pics later when I get the chance.