Minor/Repaint: Cyclonus, the warrior . . . and his Armada!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey guys, I've been piddling around with this one for just a little while. Believe it or not, but this is a holdover from me using the Nightstick from a Universe 2.0 Cyclonus which was repurposed for Alternators Ricochet.

Many moons ago, I had purchased a pack of metallic acrylic paint pens made by RoseArt from Wal*mart. I finally finished this up this week, as I had only half painted it and put it on the shelf moving on to other things.

I hope you enjoy it! :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    that's some nice work for pens man....I love that shade of purple. He really looks great.

I wished the BiS Cyclonus looked this good....I'd have bought one by now.

3. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS I identify as an amalgamated Firetruck/Semi Veteran

News Credits:
    very nice, I like the metallic look. you can really see it pop against the official ones.

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

super slick allen! i agree, with the group shots, this guy blows the others out of the water.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That looks really nice; I love the metallic purple. I certainly wouldn't have guessed it was done with markers...

6. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Damn dude, paint pens?? That's fucking awesome! The shimmer on that purple just pops! Looks like I gotta hit the Walmart. Nice work mang!:thumb 

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I'd argue that the paint pens still leave some inconsistencies, where it's more pink than purple, but overall a very nice job SQ7.

You wouldn't have some spare nightsticks, now would you? :lol 

8. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

Beautiful is all I can say, except for the fact that it was done with paint pens and looks that crisp. That blows my mind!!

9. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Nice work Allen! Love the shade of purple. Did you ever show off the Ricochet with his target master?

10. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Very nice work, Allen! I love the metallic shine and it does look so much better than the ones we've seen released. I'm sure I had the same expression that most had here when we read paint pens......"wow, no way!". lol

Now I'll have to pick some up and test 'em out myself sometime. :) 

11. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

THAT is an awesome purple! And I'm echoing everyone else. PAINT PENS?! Wow, dude...

Great work. :) 

12. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey that's pretty sick man!

13. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Extremely impressive, Allen!

- Alty

14. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

My only knock against this is that you don't have a better camera. That's just a great looking Cyclonus. I mean, it looks like a straight up United release.

15. beigoma

beigoma Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

Shiny! It actually looks like Chameleon colors (blue to purple shift) in some of those pics but that may just be the lighting. Nice regardless. Is the silver/gray from paint pens as well? Have you had any flaking/rub issues when transforming? Yeah it definitely reminds me of a Henkei paint job just better!

Well done!

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey guys, thanks to all who posted; it's much appreciated!

A couple of things:

I'm not even sure if RoseArt makes those metallic markers any more. In fact, I used the Google machine to try to find em available somewhere and couldn't. I don't want to say that brand isn't important, as I've gotten others sets that are nearly identical that haven't done as well. Honestly, I feel it's a trial and error sort of thing. This is the closest I could find to what I bought nearly 4 years ago:

[​IMG]

The RoseArt markers I have are dual tipped, with a fine tip on one end and a larger tip on the other. When I first bought metallic markers, I bought a few different brands that were similar. Each brand will perform differently.

Honestly, I don't feel like these types of markers are the optimum option for someone wanting to repaint a figure. However, something I really enjoy is seeing someone who would otherwise never attempt such artwork get something they're a bit more familiar with and try things out. These markers are good for that sort of venture.

After talking with plowking last night, he really wanted to see this little project, so I shot this mini-gallery of photos in something like 10 minutes flat. I stick these figures on the kitchen counter, shot em, and edited them quickly. The photos aren't the worst, but just know it was a rush job :lol 

:) 

I really like this shade of purple too, and I really like the metallic sheen of it. It's not overkill, but it's there :) 

I still prefer my BiS Cyclonus over the two others I have, but I do enjoy the variety. I'm pretty satisfied how this came out, too :) 

Thanks for the props, bro :) 

Honestly, this was something I sorta wasn't expecting. As I said, I still prefer my BiS Cyclonus, but this custom really does kinda pop against the other two :lol 

vipera, thanks a lot for your comments, and I'm flattered you feel that way. Hehe, I wished those group shots came out just a little better, but they document hehe.

We still need to hang out sometime since you're pretty close, dude :wink: 

You're too kind! :)  Actually, in person, it's pretty obvious as the markers do streak. If one works the paint around while applying, that can be minimized, but not eliminated.

I hope you do! Make sure to try both Walmart and Target, as they tend to carry much the same things. Actually, the last time I advised someone with these was Mushroom Prime, and we were at Target :) 

If you do end up using a set, definitely keep me posted with your results!

I think the pink you're seeing is the light and the crummy photographs. The color is pretty consistent, but like I said earlier, the streaks the markers can leave can be minimized but not eliminated.

But yeah, another trick to these markers is trying to get the consistency right so that the area is generously covered the same way. Also, I'm pretty sure that I ended up coating everything three (3) times.

As for spare Nightsticks, that's why I ended up with the spare Cyclonuses :D  I'm still waiting for someone to comment on something around that topic here, but my photos may not have documented it all that well.

Yeah, in my opinion, I agree with you and will reiterate that I don't think that the paint markers are the best way to go with something. This little project was sort of me just goofing around with one of my favorite toys :D 

That being said, I think the results can be a bit surprising :) 

Thanks a lot, bud. As for Rico and his lil' buddy, I never got around to taking photos. What's funny is that I used a Universe 2.0 Nightstick, painted it, and then the BiS set comes out :lol 

Yeah man, I think they're worth buying a set for around $5 and trying em out on something. The thing with mediums is that I don't commit to just one and never use anything else. One of the fun things with creating artwork is using a multitude of mediums, whether it's paint or junk to use for kitbashing. :) 

Hehe, I'm glad I was able to "wow" ya with my results :D 

Thanks, bud! I really think that this purple looks nice on a Decepticon. I really enjoy the Decepticons that have a type of purple paint scheme the most. It's almost as if it reflects their allegiance. Oddly, I don't necessarily feel as strongly about "Autobot red". Oh well, I guess I'm evil :lol 

Thanks a lot, guys! :) 

Hopefully some of my above comments explained my less-than-stellar photography. Actually the same camera I used for all of my other galleries posted is the same one I used. My photos all need more light, and my tripod would have really helped as well. Also, I would have opted for a more neutral background (though I like the contrast of the green). Mainly, I just didn't want to dig out my photo set up and spend the time I normally do for photos.

If that's your only knock, then I'll be pretty happy about that :lol  Actually, some sharper photos would bring out the errors a bit more as well. This way, you can't seem them well! Mwahahaha! :ev: 

As for contrasting it that way to the United toys, I thank you very much; that's very kind :) 

There is just a very subtle color change depending on how the light strikes Cyclonus.

Yes, the silver is also done with the same paint markers. There's not a whole lot of paint rubbing, but just about any figure that has paint is going to exhibit some. In all honestly, I think I may cover the figure with one more coat, and then put a coat of Future on it to prevent some of that.

Thanks so much for the kind words! :) 

Attached Files:

17. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    That looks great! I love that purple. I'd like to see that on a Shockwave. :p 

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Oh wow, that looks awesome!

19. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, that does look great, Allen.
    It's like a perfect blend of Henkei & Classics Cyclonus's

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Way better than any of the official releases we've gotten thus far.