Cyberverse Ultra and Ultimate packaging stock photos

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Apr 15, 2018.

1. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And you're in every Walmart/Target/whatever every second it's open all year round recording who buys a TF and for whom? I think not. You have beyond anecdotal evidence of who buys what and for whom. You are speaking for yourself, and only for yourself. Toys are a year round seasonal product, paradoxically. A few will trickle out all year, or maybe a bump at easter, or when summer starts. But they mostly sell at Chrsitmas.

My personal anecdotal evidence is that Wal-Marts locally are mostly bare of toys by December 24th. And stay that way until February.

And this ignores that some kids think robots are stupid and a car that turns into one is more stupid.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Galva Prime

Galva Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See that makes no sense to me. If the toys we're getting now were what I wanted in the 80's I'd have never bothered with what we did get. Honestly, for me Transformers were cool just because they could Transform. Other gimmicks like combiners and headmasters also helped, but really they had playability and that's all that concerned me when I was interested in toys as a child. Now, of course, my priorities are different and I want something that is an accurate representation of the character in the given media, that I can display in decent poses. But the closest I got to that when I was under 10 was to wonder what the hell was going on with Ratchet and Ironhide. The kids I know play with toys having adventures, telling stories, having battles and basically bashing them together; if they can fire missiles at each other or have shooting sounds they're happy. As long as the arms move they don't seem too bothered about them being well articulated. I dunno, maybe a lot of adult collectors were just precocious as children, but these cyberverse toys would've been great fun to me just as much as any of the Prime Wars stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  3. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    While aimed at kids and that's fine they look cheap and thats bad...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I remember being able to buy better looking Transformers toys than this at six years old. And shortcomings caused by lack of paint were covered up by having cool looking stickers. The new toys lack both paint and stickers.

You know, thinking about it, if the G1 toys didn't have stickers and the unstickered toy was all you got, I'd probably have lost interest even as a six year old. Sure they had a habit of being difficult to apply and some of them ended up peeling off, but they sure did look better with them and crappy without.

I think Hasbro should have given these toys the aesthetic of Generations but kept the same simplistic transformation. To use an analogy, Hasbro are giving Duplo equivalent toys to kids who should have grown out of Duplo and moved on to proper Lego.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Loving the artwork of the characters on the boxes. I truly wish we'd get better figures of these awesome designs. I'm fully aware these are for kids, but I think kids should get better than this.

6. CopperPuppet

CopperPuppet Probably a Robot

Honestly I don't think they're too bad for what they are really. Granted I'm no 80s kid, but they don't really seem largely any different from the toys from Armada, Energon and Cybertron that I did grow up with. At the time they were awesome sure, but nowadays I'm not sure I'd have picked most of them up myself.

Same goes for these, not sure I'm gonna pick most of them up. I don't hate them, I think the complaints are a bit absurd, but not a fan of them either. I like Grimlock and Megatron's design to an extent at least, though Bumblebee's is kind of... uncanny to me.
    Cyberverse does seem like a missed opportunity though, going for G1 designs again... If there's one thing I liked about the Unicron Trilogy stuff, it was seeing new designs for the characters. (Is it bad I kind of prefer the design of Armada Optimus to G1 Optimus? I hope that's not too sacrilegious.)

Well, either way the images released a while ago had renders of a Shockwave, and regardless of quality I'll probably pick him up anyway, just to have another Shockwave on my shelf. (Plus the render made him look really grumpy and I hope that wasn't just the angle of the image and the actual toy looks the same way.)

• Like Like x 2
  7. ToaDraco

ToaDraco Lightning Strike Coalition Force

Ebay:
    I quite like the bot mode designs for these guys, except Bumblebee what a mess. I do like his cartoon design, they just did an awful job of translating it to the toys for some reason. I get that these are for kids but that shouldn\'t be an excuse to skimp on making a decent figure. Compared to the other Cyberverse toys coimng out these Ultra class seem to be the best we\'re going to get which is kind of unfortunate. If the show is good though I\'m sure a lot of us might break down and get one or 2 of these.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Disposal

The only 1st Party figures that have my eye right now are Studio Series Grimlock, MasterPiece Star Saber, and Titans Return Trypticon. Probably, though, I’ll just get MasterMade’s Diabolus Rex, last shreds of stock permitting.

Generally, I tend to think that 3rd Party Legends have about the same paint apps and features as 1st Party CHUG, @SMOG, but 3PL looks more impressive because there’s more paint on less plastic. So, for me, that makes them especially More Than Meets the Eye :p 

But, space is as much a constraint as funds for me, so that also leads me back to 3PL, excepting those Transformers that I adore and would like in various sizes and styles like Grimlock and Slipstream, for examples

And, since Evergreen Grimlock doesn’t look that different than IDW Grimlock, it’s still down to Planet X’s Vulcan and Master Mind Creations’ Trux, for me.

Most of all, I really I hope Hasbroke finds something better to call these designs than Evergreen :oops: 

That’s, like, some shitty app moentization speak.

Hell, if we’re making botany references, Perennials would be a much less venal phrasing.

9. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    And yet GI Joe died as a line and cannot maintain market strength except in a movie year.
    Plus, since you brought that example up, isn't the day-glo colors and more exactly what they did with classic ARAH to save it and make it last longer? Including water cannon features later too? Same to Transformers really. And we did have younger kid versions of bots too(they made at least 3 iirc I only had 2 of them in the 80s though). Rubber tires also did fade out in G1 in favor of plastic ones by season 3 of the original toon. Much of that was carryovers from diaclone which were kind of a blend of more adult-centered toys. You also have to consider what toys were like back then though. Comparing engineering limitations of then to now. You see it most pronounced in sentai toys and other giant robot toys from the 70s to now. With only the most recent starting to backtrack a little in simplicity for cost effectiveness. But the intricacies of engineering over previous are there now as opposed to back in the 70s/early 80s. So it's a give and take as technologies improve but costs vary.

Missile launchers are still a thing too. Other lines have them. Even modern GI Joe did a whole theme around them. Budget lines still use them too.
    Generations still exists, this isn't replacing it. All it's doing is bringing more revenue in to the brand, which modern hasbro must be doing something right passing the 4 billion mark and doing better still each passing year.

Modern toys by comparison do seem like a much more serious effort by comparison. They aren't simply buying another line and rebranding it. They have actual articulation and effort put into them. If you want to compare hasbro of then to hasbro now. Compare original Rodimus Prime/Hot Rod, Kup, and the ones that were Hasbro originals. Not rebranded and renamed from other line figures.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Aspie :)

News Credits:
    That Bumblebee beats TF Prime 'bee for ugliest headsculpt. Why do they insist on giving Bumblebee big anime eyes? It's creepy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:

gi joe died because they made the figures too expensive and the world changed since the 9/11, you have to support the military to be a real American otherwise you're a terrorist, mindset was. War isn't cool anymore, therefore, Human based war toys aren't popular.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    Yeah but I also rember when we only had one line to pick from and Transformers sales were low.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G.I. Joe lasted for 25+ years straight. People weren't feeling the movie era toys. They were feeling G.I. Joe 25th, which they stopped to make the movie stuff, IIRC.

Those gimmicky elements were still branches of the same toyline. And those gimmicks ran their course eventually.

Which were sold to kids. That's my point when people point to G1 as a whole and think that it's the same as the lines coming out now. We didn't have toddler toylines. A small child would have to buy TFs from the only line out there.

Those were new characters back in the 80's. Now 30 years later, most of the people who had those toys back then are designing much closer versions of those same characters now--for the most part. But I'm not talking about Generations, which improves upon the older toys. I'm talking about Cyberverse, Rescue Bots and the whole "It's for kids" argument.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    So what is the Collector's line running alongside the kid's line Cyberverse?

15. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a child of the 80's I can say these figures look like they'll be more fun to play with then 90% of the figures I had when I was a kid.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron looks fine, and I would say the same of Prime if it wasn't for that damn kibble on the front of his fists. That really does ruin a look IMO.

17. Furnace

Furnace The original Starscream

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those gimmicks are what killed GI Joe. They tried to evolve, to maintain dominance, and they went with those gimmicks, which cancelled the 1995 line.

ARAH went from 82-94, when it was cancelled. A new scale/design was tried in 95 with GI Joe Extreme, which was an utter failure.
    GI Joe returned as a 15 year anniversary to TRU in 97 and 98. It then came back in 2000, with the 25th Anniversary/Modern Edition molds launching in 2007, until the Retaliation movie mishandling doomed it at retail, and delegated it to being a TRU exclusive Christmas-time line until 2014.
    Not quite a 25 year straight run, but rather a few starts and stop after it's 12-year run of (mostly) dominance in the 80s/early 90s, and a roughly 15 year run starting in 2000.

• Like Like x 4
  19. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Disposal

Yeah, it looks a touch too Moé, but maybe it’ll thrive in motion like Studio 4°C’s TF Animated.

And, @Bass X0, see War for Cybertron Trilogy - Transformers Wiki

Since I figure this might be part of the IDW Reboot, I’d like to see WfC2.0/IDW Phase 3 retain or eventually resume the Space Operatics of IDW Phase 2 with, instead, flourishing cybertronian outposts connected to various titans.

Nearest to Cybertron, Caminus would host the Central Cluster of Victory, Animated and Cyberverse characters.

Chela would oversee the Eukarian Expanse of colonies populated by Beast Wars/Machines characters.

Navitas would patrol Velocitronian Vectors of space where R1D and NuRID characters race.

Carcer would control the Outer Flows of Unicron Trilogy and Prime characters.

And, finally—for fun, let’s have Trypticon spinning about with the last surviving G2, Machine Wars, Kiss Players and all manners of misfit Mecha that I’m not recalling this moment :p 

• Like Like x 1
  20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think this is a fair point. At the time, the diversification of the lines was handled differently. Sure, there -were- simpler TFs that were more young kid-friendly, like the G1 minibots. But part of the appeal was also in the way that you had a very consistent approach to the branding and surrounding fiction. This worked phenomenonally well for Transformers and GIJOE.

It's not so nonsensical as that. Just because a figure isn't exactly what you want it to be, doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. But wishing they had a few more improvements, some joints here or there, wishing they were better toys... that's normal. That's what we do now, and that's how we felt when we were kids too. I didn't know a single kid in our neighborhood who didn't have opinions and preferences about their toys.

And of course, there were lots of shitty Transformers back in the 80s that I never wanted to own. Bricks that barely transform, figures ruined by gimmicks, ugly designs... Aesthetics and playability counted for something. Even the fact that Insecticons Chop Shop and Ransack couldn't raise their arms, for example, was a flat-out dealbreaker for me... even if they were pretty cool in other ways. Meanwhile, I loved the way figures like Insecticon Barrage and Shockwave actually had proper knees (on a related note, I used Convertors Morphus as my Ransack, because he actually had working elbows at least).

Nah. Kids have individual opinions about stuff. They are critical. They have preferences. They compare one toy to another. They'll play with whatever they have on-hand, but don't mistake that for indifference or complacency. It sounds to me like you've forgotten what it was like to talk among your friends about what toys are cool and which ones aren't. :) 

( fun fact: In Vancouver in the early 1980s, kid slang included the term "Ex!" to describe things that were EXcellent. As in, "Oh, wow, those snow walkers in Empire are so ex!" )

I doubt it. This is the difference between watching kids play, and remembering being a kid. Sure, imagination played a big role. And kids will make do with what they have. When I was a kid, my parents wouldn't buy me a toy gun, so I would just bite my toast into gun shapes and run around the house shooting stuff with it. But that doesn't mean all I ever wanted was toast. I wanted a goddamned cap-gun! :lol 

Probably not that Bumblebee.

zmog

• Like Like x 2