Cyberverse Shockwave Fusion Tank

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Noideaforaname, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    "Shockwave stealthily tears through the earth in order to avoid detection by the Autobots and their human allies. His ability to emerge from the ground and attack anywhere has put the Autobots on alert! Where will he strike next?" - Box Bio

Shockwave makes his Cyberverse debut with a "fusion tank" contraption instead of the Driller or a burrowing machine of any description.
    Bot Mode:
    [​IMG]
    Shocky is Commander-sized, his ribs, gun hose, and leg spikes are made of rubber, and unlike Action Set Megatron and Optimus, comes with bonus accessories: his gun and sword, which are both removable.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Shockwave has a nice range of articulation, and is one of too few Cyberverse figures to have some form of a neck joint:
    [​IMG]
    His arms are well articulated, ball joints on both the shoulder and elbows and a swivel on the upper arm.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, the weapons plug in above the elbow, and lose a lot of posability, especially the gun. Worse, the hose restricts movement even more.
    [​IMG]
    You'd think this length would give you nice range, but the rubber just yanks the whole arm back.
    [​IMG]
    The gun and sword can be placed on either arm, but due to how the hose works you can't use that while the gun's on Shockwave's left arm.
    The sword is basically just a shrunken version of the Voyager's, including that odd clip at around the middle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A very different shade of purple compared to the Voyager.

Transformation is a lot like the Voyager's, though obviously simplified. The legs are a tad tricky to get straight, as there are 4 connection points on each.

Tank Mode:
    Once again we get a Cybertronian tank that's more like an actual vehicle than past Movie Cybertronian modes. The front cylinders and a pair of small wheels in the back treads allow it to roll.
    [​IMG]
    The arms have pegs that are meant to plug into the sides (which were the legs), however this leaves an unsightly gap in the back and ruins the boxy shape.
    [​IMG]
    I personally keep the arms unplugged (the arms are then closer to each other and cover the back gap better) and that's how it'll look for the rest of the review.
    [​IMG]
    Like the Voyager, the weapons attach to the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fusion Tank:
    First off, by itself.
    [​IMG]
    The silver cannon can launch missiles (one was included, totally forgot about photographing it; sorry) and can have up to 3 weapons peg onto it.
    [​IMG]
    The back has sculpted thrusters.
    [​IMG]
    Visually, a seamless extension of Shockwave. However connecting this thing was a headache. The fusion tank's "arms" force Shockwave's into the center, where it doesn't get much room thanks to the main cannon.
    There's also the annoying habit of popping the sides off it's pegs (underside shot):
    [​IMG]
    Let's just forget this mode...

Battle Base:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An autonomous turret, I assume. No way for Shockwave to interact with it. The cannon can move up and down for about 135 degrees, and has a few added ports: 5mm on the gray "feet" (which can also connect to other Bases) and 3mm on the back panel. Top heavy and the "feet" don't lock in any way, though it should keep balance if the "neck" is straight up as opposed to angled out.
    Also:
    [​IMG]
    Although not the beast itself, this mode in particular draws some influence from the Driller.

Ground Weapon:
    [​IMG]
    Finally we get this mode, which Shockwave can man... except his hands can't quite both reach the controls, which have odd fins making it even harder to do so. Bah.
    [​IMG]
    The package's photo on the back is mirrored. Shockwave's arm gun can only attach to the right side, no the left.
    All three modes of this thing are basically alternate cannons, which is a huge letdown compared to other Action Sets. There should have at least been some kind of drill and/or tunneler, if not the Driller itself.

Overall, I'm mixed on this set. Shockwave himself is awesome, but his vehicle is boring. Waiting for a version of Shockwave sans the action set may be a good idea. Shockwave is worth getting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been waiting for this review for awhile, good job.

I was SO stoked about getting this one...overall, pretty underwhelmed.

Shockwave looks good, Colors are a bit...too...Mardi Gras for me, but still not horrible.

The tank thing is a pretty big let down. Just does not work as well as the others in this series. I really thought this was gunna be the best. I will still buy it, as my son and me love playing with the cyberverse stuff, and making bases and such.

Ratchet looks like the crown jewel so far

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    He almost looks like a Robot Hero figure. Something rather cartoony about him. Not that that's such a bad thing.

And is it just me or does this look like Shockwave is violating some kind of Cybertronian horse?

[​IMG]
    It's probably just me seeing that. :p 

Anyways, loving the set and it's definitely on my 'to buy' list.

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    still want it!

5. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

That hose goes in the wrong place :p 

6. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great pics. The set is a good idea.

Tank mold looks better than voyager class. But lilac looks kinda gay...

SW has some decent articulation for a little guy... Ball joints are nice...

But his body looks like its made of macaroni shapes... Wagon wheels and such...

I realize they design those pockets and holes to save money and wieght in the figure. I think it looks aweful with the small movie designs. Which are already "piecemealy"...

Its nice of them to put in some design ques of the driller. But the colors are all wrong...

SW actually comes out of the driller which was all silver, right?

Neat and fun for kids. But absolute pass for me...

7. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a thought,

In the "battle base mode" you say SW cannot interact with it.

Can you rotate the grey legs hanging down back to give him "handles" so he could stand on that platform? that would be real cool..

EDIT, it even looks like there are molded handles halfway up for him to grab

8. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Every fiber of my being is telling me to wait for the inevitable single release Shockwave, but I know as soon as I see this, I won't be able to resist. At least it's small, so it'll be easy to paint if I wish to :lol .

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I think I'll still get this. The tank mode is decent enough where it warrants a purchase for me.

10. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    @Snake_eyes1975 - Only one of the spindly legs (it's left, counting the cannon as it's front) can rotate back --full 360 degree rotation, actually. The other one (it's right) only has about 90 degrees of rotation, i.e. forward and down.
    The leg is nearly eye-level with Shockwave, who can only grab the tip not the peg.
    EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    Shocky's better off using the panel as a table.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  11. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    ROFL! That's perfect!!

12. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow dude...thanks for checkin that out.

And thanks for the laugh....GREAT pic...SIG WORTHY

13. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Thanks for the great review! In Battle Base mode, can the hole on Shocky's back plug into the peg inside the base, so that he's standing enclosed by the gun emplacement?

14. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love this pic and thank you for the great review. I hope to see this set in person soon!

15. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Shockie will be a welcome addition to my Cyberverse collection! Thanks for the review.

16. Noideaforaname

News Credits:
    It can, and Shockwave can comfortably stand on the purple floor, but the turret has to point up to allow room for him.
    [​IMG]
    Actually, that isn't half bad. Kind of an echo of Optimus's trailer-armor.
    Thanks to the wheels on the bottom it can roll.

Don't think I mentioned this but the pegs on Shockwave's gun and sword are incredibly short, making it difficult for him to hold them in his hands.

17. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

That looks like it should be an official mode of the toy, it just works.

18. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THATS..pretty cool. I dig it more now

19. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Great review ! Imo, this looks a lot better than the voyager version.
    Especially the way the arms look, fit the Shockwave character better imo.

20. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    The gun mode of the platform reminds me of some sort of pinball machine.

or maybe an air hockey table lol