Cyberverse Commanders - oversized legends or downsized scouts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by videriant, Feb 16, 2012.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally got around to opening more then just a few Commanders and to me they really seem like oversized legends. Kinda sucks that they are at the old scout price point. And unfortunately, at $8 I can retailers trying to bump the price of the normal legends to $6 soon.

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Oversized Legends, to me.

I miss my scouts....

3. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would say downsized scouts. They are too big to be an oversized legend imo. Either way some of these molds are amazing.

Seems that Target raised their commander price lately. I saw them for 8.99 and I thought they were 7.99 in the past.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I consider them downsized Scouts as well seeing as how they essentially have a basic sized bot's articulation (mostly).

5. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    They clearly are designed as Legends toys, however they sport a level of complexity on par with a lot of scouts. So I'd say a little mix of both.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I see them as smallish scouts with the proportions of larger toys.

7. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say it depends on the figure. If you look at the DoTM cyberverse stuff, I'd argue that Powerglide, Optimus, Sentinel Prime, Guzzle, and maybe Hatchet were on par with some of the scouts we've seen in recent years. I'd argue Megatron and Ironhide were glorified legends. Slightly better than legends, but not much.

The mistake is this: Don't compare anything at the small scale to Breacher. He's far and away better than anything else you'll get at the Scout/Legend/Commander/Legion size. In some ways he's better than most deluxes. Heck, he'd have made a good voyager. Next to him everything at those price points look like crap.

8. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    It depends on who you bought. Some are more or less bigger legends/legions, but some are basically scouts.

9. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I like Sunspot much more than Breacher, but that's neither here nor there. To me, the Commanders are bigger, somewhat more articulated Legends. But that's fine, since they're ALL meant to work together (their weapons, anyway)and with the various playsets, and thus there's even more incentive to buy them than being the cheap versions of some of the characters.

Though Zellers sell Legends for about $10 (Legion for $9) so not quite so cheap...

10. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    even the best of cyberverse is not as good as rotf scouts

I have to blame the same economic changes affecting deluxes more then the scout to commander conversion

11. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hubcap, from RotF, isn't much better than any of the commanders in DoTM and he's considered one of the better Scouts.

I think this topic happened because there were one or two really spectacular RoTF scouts combined with the down sizing. Most of the Commander class stuff I've seen is fairly good. What's really awesome is they often seem to be in scale with the legends classes.

12. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

this.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Upsized Legends.

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Some of them are like downsized scouts, and others are like oversized legends. A lot of them are really nice, and remind me of the scout class glory days. Others are just... disappointing... and just remind me of inflated legends with the same engineering.

I'd still prefer a nice scout any day of the week.

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No one is making any effort to determine the definitions of "Legends" and "Scout," lol.

I think that they are noticeably smaller than Scouts in general. Their articulation is Legend-ish. However on average their transformations actually seem more complex than Scouts. Some are really ambitious and impressive, so even with less articulation I can't fault the complexity.

Though for the size they do feel overpriced.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Right now- right this minute- at my local Wal Mart, DOTM Deluxes are only a few cents more than the Cyberverse Commanders.

17. AMG

AMG Old School

They feel more like smaller scouts to me.

18. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Legends are not worth $6.00 / £5.00 I try to pay no more than £4.50 and ideally a lot less.

Cyberverse commanders like DOTM Megatron are best described as oversized legions. The Prime ones are marginally more complex and come close to being true scouts.

That said Powerglide & Guzzle are reasonable toys and Hatchet is so much of a Scout I half wondered if he a leftover part of a cancelled DOTM scout subline.

Cyberverse Commanders are on average a bit smaller than some Scouts/PCCs/HA basics. But they seem to match up well in size terms to smaller things like Machine Wars Flipchangers, Axcelerators, Skyscorchers, Triggerbots, Rotorbots, and Cyberjets.

So Hatchet is much better value for money than Sentinel Prime is for example.

And they are actually bigger than a Sparkabot or G1 Minibot though.

19. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't bought many but they seem more like upsized Legends to me. Less complex, fewer parts, less personality.