Cyberverse Commander Blackout

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shin Densetsu, May 11, 2011.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cyberverse Commander Blackout Review
    [​IMG]

I lucked out and found Cyberverse Blackout With Scorponok recently. This was the Cyberverse figure I was looking forward to the most. His reveal at Toy Fair 2011 shocked me and up until recently, we hadn't had a decent movie Blackout figure(the 1st movie voyager looked awesome but was the worst voyager in the line in my opinion; a lemon).

Blackout was a character I definitely wanted a figure of, so an all new figure, in the Cyberverse line, had me excited. Cyberverse has great potential, and so far I've been happy with what I've bought.

With high expectations, and taking into account that I was letdown by the 1st movie Blackout figure, how does the Cyberverse version stack up? Read on..

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Alt Mode(MH-53 Pave Low)

Blackout's alt mode is a MH-53 Pave Low helicopter. The alt mode translates rather well in this small scale, without much robot kibble showing. The exception being the hands, they stick out near the tail fin. However, they aren't too detracting from the overall silhouette, and at this scale, I don't mind them.

Despite being a rather small toy, Blackout still features an impressive amount of detail, with scribed panel lines and other unique details. This isn't like previous Legends figures or minicons, which featured substantially less detail. Robot mode parts are hidden quite well.

Scorponok can attach via c-clip below the tail rotor.

Attached Files:

3. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Scorponok

Scorponok returns, paired with Blackout yet again. For a tiny figure, he has quite a lot of detail, impressive for the size. With that said, he doesn't do much. Not much articulation, and honestly if the legs were movable, they'd probably break off extremely easy, Scorponok is very small. The only moving parts are the tail, which has 2 points of articulation, and the gun, which swivels. Swiveling gun? Yes..more on that later..

Attached Files:

4. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Transformation

Transformation is rather easy. It's pleasant without feeling dumbed down or overly simplified. As a matter of fact, this figure is much more fun to transform than the movie 1 voyager. Most collectors should have no problem transforming this figure without instructions. It's got a few more steps than a Legends figure but enough to keep me satisfied. The way that the legs transform, and are disguised in alt mode is rather neat, brilliant even. I was not expecting anything like that on something so small. Shown below is a step by step transformation sequence from Pave Low to robot mode.

Attached Files:

5. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Robot Mode

Robot mode is the mode that Blackout comes packaged in. Good amount of detail, with silver paint apps, tampo marks, et al, put to good use. Blackout is substantially more detailed in robot mode than in his Pave Low alt mode.

This is a very articulated figure. Articulation is as follows:
    • Ball jointed shoulders
    • Hinged elbows
    • Forearm swivels
    • Ball jointed hips
    • Hinged knees
    • Lower leg swivels
    • Foot and heel joints
    My only nitpick in this mode, is that some of the joints are looser than I'd like. Not rag-doll loose, but noticeable nonetheless, and I'd be remiss to overlook that.

The cool thing is that Blackout's tail rotor can be swiveled forward on a hinge, then swiveled to aim downward. So it becomes a weapon, just like how he attacked Lennox and co. in the city, during the 1st movie. This was something the voyager predecessor could not do(sure it could use the main rotor...but it's not the same, and looks different, plus it could only be used sideways).

As cool as that is, there's more than meets the eyes with this robot in disguise..

Attached Files:

6. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Targetmaster Blackout

With Scorponok, Cyberverse Blackout is essentially the very 1st Cyberverse Targetmaster! Scorponok turns into a gun for Blackout to wield, in either hand. This single aspect skyrocketed playability for me. It's small things like this that pay off in adding substantially more fun to a figure.

For those of you who hated Scorponok, finally there's something useful for him to do aside from sitting in a crate. Gun mode is easy to transform Scorponok into. Simply unfold the barrel, and fold the tail all the way down, both parts connect via a peg.

Attached Files:

7. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Conclusion

Cyberverse Commander Blackout with Scorponok is one of the top Cyberverse Commander sets thus far. Very fun to pose, and proof that there's great potential in the Cyberverse Commander scale. Hell I'll admit, I like this a lot better than the 1st movie voyager Blackout. Whereas Blackout(in my opinion) was the worst voyager in the 1st movie line, Blackout in the Cyberverse line is one of the very best Commander figures. Funny how things worked out, considering how much smaller this one is.

Up until this figure was revealed at Toy Fair, I don't think anyone was expecting a Targetmaster in Cybverse scale. So Blackout was a pleasant surprise and is hopefully a sign of things to come. I'd love to see Cyberverse go beyond the movieverse and expand to other continuities. Tons of potential at a small scale.

Blackout and Scorponok is $7.96 at Walmart, and perhaps a similar price at other retailers. $8+tax is a bit steep for a figure that is smaller than a scout, but for Blackout and Scorponok, I think the price is worth it. So in conclusion, Cyberverse Blackout and Scorponok are worth picking up.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    this guy looks really good. Would have considered buying it just for the targetmaster scorp, glad to know the figure he comes with is great. I'll prob pick him up when I see him.

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    great review, very detailed.

The figure itself looks awesome except that his torso feels way undersized compared to the rest of his limbs

10. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Lil'Blackout looks extremely desirable. Perfect for pocket sized raids on armymen bases.

11. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing that kills this line for me is the lack of neck articulation. If they could have given every Cyberverse commander the minimum of head, shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee articulation, I would have been happy.

12. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks pretty good, but I'm not looking into getting a lot of Cyberverse guys outside of the ones that I don't think will get a bigger figure.

I really disagree about the original voyager, I still think its one of the better molds from that line.

13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    For voyagers, I felt that Ratchet was the best, Starscream wasn't that bad(hated him initially), Prime was decent, as was Ironhide. Torso connection, bad hit/miss automorph, lack of good connections in bot mode left me disappointed with Blackout.

The fact that this Cyberverse one is able to have a good alt mode, retain a lot of articulation, is a targetmaster and use his tail rotor weapon like he did in the movie, that leaves me VERY happy with this figure.

14. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Wow. Put this new guy next to the original Legends Blackout and have a chuckle.

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Kickass review for a kickass figure. Bought!

16. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I cant get over just how awesome the small lil guys are.

GREAT review, Thanks Shen.

I had ALOT of TFs as a kid. When I think of transformers as a kid, for somereason I think of Huffer, Windcharger, Brawn...I LOVED the lil ones as a kid. I played with em with my matchbox cars, and 72nd scale army guys.

I think Hasbro is hitting these out of the park. I have bought Legends for my son to play with, and whenever I checked em out, they just kinda sucked. It always seemed like it was just an afterthought to make a few bucks on a tiny chunk of plastic.
    All of these are WELL thought out, and instead of being the worthless subline in the TFsection of toys, these seem to have become thier own, and are more "Action Figure" than tiny little TF turd...WAY better than legends.
    Some scouts are hard to beat....Breacher..Sunspot..Those are great, but with these all having similar scale and articulation, and can hold guns and shit...wow...superior.

Like I said...I will buy more cyberverse stuff than deluxes for sure. With so many repaints that will come, and boxed sets...just seems like a good idea to hold off on those, and these will give me and the boy stuff to mess with...and I love the lil playsets

GREAT review..

17. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really hope they do every movie character in this cyberverse scale. I think they;ll be the only toys i'll buy :O

18. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great review, Shin! This thing looks like yet another fantastic entry in the Cyberverse line, and like Ironhide it looks like it will be my favorite toy of the character. Can't wait to find one.

19. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

I hope we find out who designed this figure, because Targetmaster Scorponok makes me want to buy them a drink.

20. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    first im jealous, i want this guy really bad.

and great review, love the scorponok gun feature.

deff one of the best out of the cyberverse line.