Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hthrun, Mar 16, 2012.
Everything will be in the prison chamber below the cockpit.
The other night I figured it would be best to solder some wires to the board and then solder those wires to the ones already connected to the LEDs. It'll make things easier and it should also allow better access to the batteries...
I've learned to let the Apoxie Sculpt harden on one connection before doing the other connection, so after I got done with the wires I started working on the wheels for the thrusters some more. I used drill bits to make the holes bigger. I have a little more to do, but my hands were hurting so I stopped short
All LEDs connected!
Last night I got the lights all wired together! I had to use yet another circuit board. I think the last one got wrecked when I took out the original LED on it and attached the wires. So this time I just left the LED, attached the wires to the pins on that LED, then cut off the LED with flush cutters. That ruined the LED, but the connections are much better!
Unfortunately it doesn't look this good in real life, the photo looks brighter. But I am very pleased with the real life effect, too. The HVAC tape creates a nice little glow.
I also finished drilling the holes in the wheels. Next I'll work on improving the look and stability of the interior...
Nice work man.
You should use candle flicker LEDs for the thrusters.
What are those?
wow this look amazing looking forward to see more
I bought one of these with the idea of customizing it, but it just ended up in storage. Also, I'm really surprised that we never saw very many Ark customs.
It'll be nice to see one done up properly. Great work so far!
I'm working on an Orange/G1 style repaint of mine now, and I have to say hthrun, you've given me some serious inspiration here! If I end up copying your idea (which I might, at least partially), you'll get full credit
Thanks! I'm not planning any painting at this time, so I'm almost done...
Thank you! Yeah, I'm surprised there haven't been many Cyberverse customs. I can only think of some paint jobs here and there. I bet several figures would be good to use for other characters...
Thanks! I'm glad I could help! That's why I post here
I attached the wires inside the cage to the wall with Apoxie Sculpt as seen in the attached pic, but then the Ark wouldn't close all the way. Last night I tried dremeling away at the bulge that's blocking the cannon when it's closing, but I couldn't get enough of it off without fear of wrecking the wires inside. I think next I'll try just cutting that part loose and putting it on the other side or below the other bulge...
Last night I fixed a wire that had broken. The inside has been fixed so it now opens and closes fine, and hopefully the wire is more secure. I had to let the apoxie sculpt cure, so next time I plan on adding some liquid green stuff in the openings by the wires to further improve the hold...
I used my leftover time to work on the wheels a little more. I've got one that I believe is finished! The others should be simple...
That wire broke out again, so I tried something different this time. I took the other wire shown and stripped away some of the insulation in the middle of it. Then I connected the wire from the outside LED to that one. Now it seems better, I just have to fold those wires in place for transformation...
Also did a little more cutting on the wheels. Assuming nothing else breaks, I should be able to work on the circuit board door next...
Wow, you really got those thrusters nailed down nicely.
Thanks! It's fun holding it in front of me as I walk down a dark hallway
I've decided not too get very elaborate with the circuit storage since it'll be concealed and the only time I'll ever take it off is when I change batteries. It was hard to take a photo while holding the doors open .
I just glued down the bottom Lego piece on each side. Next I'll use some Apoxie Sculpt to give it a tight fit against the circuit and batteries. I'll also paint the Legos black so they're not as visible.
After that I plan on wrapping up the thruster exteriors and putting this project on more of a back burner. At that point the most important parts will be done. I'll probably bring it into my job and do some interior decorating here and there when I get time...
I'm really excited about seeing a full gallery of this one completely finished
I really like all of the progress updates.
Thanks Allen! I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to cut the magnifying lenses that I plan to put over the boosters. If it is, though, I'll just go with some thin clear plastic...
Looking pretty good.
I've got the apoxie sculpting pretty much done on the battery cover and the switch. I have to shave some away next time I work on it...
I started dremeling a magnifying lens to use on the thrusters. The thrusters are a little smaller than a quarter, so I taped one to the middle of the lens and am dremeling around it.
I spent a lot of time on it and still didn't get finished. I tried using my flush cutter to see if I could cut it quicker, but that caused the corner to crack off, so I'll just have to take my time.
Also, dremeling this thing STINKS!
Separate names with a comma.