Cyberverse a group review.

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Thewatcher88, Oct 14, 2018.

1. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Simple fun, little bit of an edge. Can surprise.

Uncomplicated

• Like Like x 2
  2. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After the tedious drudgery of Prime and the general mediocrity of RID2015, I had very low expectations. CV is short, so I came back to it when I was bored and I was pleasantly surprised by it. By the episode with Megatron and the one with Velocitron, I was definitely invested in the story. Episode 10 sealed it. Bumblebee is definitely a lot less 4chan on a sugar binge in later episodes. Especially when he is plugged in to the computer and talking normally.

Writing is easily the best we have had since Animated. Yeah. I said it. I meant it. People hated that show and gave up on it quick too. Their loss.

I'm warming up to the animation. The bits on Cybertron definitely has an early Samurai Jack vibe. We already know that they are expanding the present day cast to include the Ark's crew before the end of the season. It's really a shame that the season is over the halfway mark. Only 8 more left this season.

• Like Like x 4
  3. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The mouth animation reminds me of Transformers: Cybertron. Not a complaint, more a nostalgia factor.

4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I don't think we've had worse production for a cartoon since Cybertron. I can see glimmers of a potentially good show, but the entire thing just feels so amateurish. You can tell the people who are working on this are either fans of previous Transformers fiction, or are at least passionate about doing their research in order to make something to appease the fans. But at the end of the day it really is just a conglomeration of previous concepts and ideas that are meant to appease the fanbase, as if that's enough. I feel like maybe they're being rushed or something, although if they are, they are handling it worse than Prime did. I don't think this show has the capacity to surprise in a good way, and I think because of that it won't be able to compete with any of its predecessors.

• Like Like x 3
  5. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

That's the problem of 10 minutes. But what they failed to go into details, I pieced them back in my head. It all depends whether you choose to like it or not. Compared to Rescue Bots Academy which has a luxurious plan of 102 episodes at the very start, Cyberverse hasn't failed to impress.

6. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

I've only seen...five I think...eps at this point *watching them when they are uploaded to YT*, but so far it is far more tolerable than RiD2015 (I couldn't make it past the second ep of that one....). One thing so far I can't stand is the transformation sequences (the 'anime magical-girl transformation-ish' ones). I hated them in RiD...I hate them here. I get why they use them, but I find them freaking cheesy and out of place for TF show.

Other nitpick is that I feel Thundercracker sounds too 'young'. That's likely a combo of remembering his voice in G1 and my own headcanon preference on he sounds....

• Like Like x 2
  7. maurice

maurice Well-Known Member

I think Thundercracker and Nova Storm are meant to sound young as their the scouts of Slipstream :)  I like it.

The show so far and the plot and how it's pandering only to people who like Autobots is pretty bad. And it feels kinda like a mess at times.

8. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animation: Its not terrible, but its nowhere near great. RiD did it better. Much better.
    Voice-acting: It is literally the worst aspect of the show. The performances feel wooden and like a middle school theater performance, its as if this cast has no previous experiance to acting in general.
    Dialogue: On par with its terrible voice acting. Sounds like something a middle schooler came up with.
    Action: Lazy and poorly coordinated.
    Story: Its the only upside to this show, and definitely beats RiD's generic and unchanging "villain of the week" and "lets re-learn the same morality lessons every week for 3 full seasons" formulas, although it still suffers greatly. A show thats trying to give us these types of stories, like how the war started and such, can't really do it in 10 minute runtime slots. It just can't, otherwise it comes off as rushed. It also would be best told in real time as opposed to via memory, which, mind you, is not even being presented in chronological order.

An example would be the latest episode on Velocitron.
    Lasts about 10 minutes.
    Voice acting and dialogue: Generic "dude-talk", and all three characters sound the like the same person.
    Story: Felt rushed. Didn't get to really know any of these characters. Could have benefited from being a 22 minute episode, leaves a lot more room. Only thing I took from it was "dude-talk" and Blurr's
    death is very rushed and left me not really caring since he hasn't really done much aside from wanting to stay on Velocitron and racing

I'd rather watch Transformers: Cybertron.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, that hurt my brain. I literally felt thousands of brain cells die from just reading that.

I've seen better writing in dogshi-, I mean, Energon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. maurice

maurice Well-Known Member

I guess this is the only thing you have seen since animated?

11. darkspellmaster

darkspellmaster Well-Known Member

Compared to RiD2015, this flows better. One of my issues with RiD2015 was the feeling that they were trying to be hip, and BB felt more like Hot Rod. Should have been hot rod with BB playing a role, but not BB leading.

Cyberverse is a nice chang of pace for me.

12. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Bronze Bomber

Probably, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross.

13. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Bronze Bomber

Also why is the runtime so short?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

Mixed opinions for me at the moment. Stuff I like include the character designs and this version of Megatron (so far at least, that can change).

I also like intelligent Grimlock. I don't mind jerkass Grimlock or the caveman-speak but this is a nice change of pace.

For negatives I'd say the voice acting overall is "meh" to "bad" (some exceptions like with Megatron) and the shorter run time of episodes.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Stryyder

Stryyder Just another soldier

It seems like they are building something, but from what I've read (haven't watched it yet) the majority of the series so far have been flashbacks. Is there really anything of substance that required them to start in media res on earth, aside from needing the "human/earth connection" for the viewer? Couldn't they have just let it progress as is? The whole memory thing just seems way gimmicky.

16. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Mopey Sea Urchin

Ebay:
    My guess? Following trends. Int he last 5 years or so, many popular kids' shows have all been sporting the 15 minute runtime, i.e. Steven Universe, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Teen Titans Go!, Wander over Yonder, etc.

I think Season 1 is a table setting exercise. Here's a blip of a plot! Here's a blip of Cybertronian life! Wash, rinse, repeat. It's pretty mechanical, but ideally this is supposed to get all the groundwork in before they move forward with anything substantial. I mean, they could always drop the ball hard but I prefer to be positive.

17. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    Anyone else feel like whoever storyboards this just doesn’t know how to do action scenes? So many of the bot fights are just wide shots of two bots smacking each other around, it’s not dynamic AT ALL.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    This show is unbalanced in its quality. What it does well, is done very well. What it does poorly, sucks donkey ass. The fact that it manages both in every episode is kind of annoying.

I like it, I'll watch it, parts of it are very enjoyable, but it's got a bunch of flaws and inconsistencies that drag it down.

19. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

It's entertaining so I will give it that and it gets better because the first two episodes are painful but besides I can enjoy it and look forward to seeing what happens next unlike RID2015 which was a chore to watch and when I did I was only paying half attention to it. This show I actually can sit down and enjoy because it does somethings interesting like "Maccadam's" which was an awesome episode and even "Termminal Velocity" has awesome ideas but as others said the problems in this show is only having 10 minute episodes, bland voice acting, and it being Bumblebee memories makes it feel disjointed and all over. Even with that though it is entertaining. Hopefully this season like a learning curve and they can improve next year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

What human connection? There hasn't been one single human in this series yet which does make me question why even have it on Earth if there are no humans. We have seen some man made structures which look like they've been abandoned and not even a mention of humans. I'm wandering if they've been completely wiped out by the Decepticons on Earth. It seems weird not to have any humans in a series set during a time when human made structures clearly exist. It made sense for Beast Wars being set in prehistoric times but modern day Earth being completely devoid of humans seems a little ominous.

The memory thing is very gimmicky and I'd rather just see everything happen in chronological order, set the series on Cybertron and don't even show Earth. But maybe there will be some kind of pay off by the end of the season, like finding where the rest of the Ark crew are or the AllSpark as that is their over all goal here.