Cybertron's atmoshpere

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Idon, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Idon

Idon Well-Known Member

Cybertron has an atmoshpere in almost every Transformers series out there, my question is why? It serves no actual purpose but to keep various flames burning and corrode and rust Cybertronians.

For a sentient metal planet you'd think it would avoid wrapping itself in an atmosphere that does a lot more harm then good, or that its inhabitants would get rid of it in the millions and millions of years they lived on Cybertron, especially since it appears to be an atmoshpere rich with oxygen, in some cases being even identical to the one on Earth.

2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

According to the G1 toon Transformers are rust-proof, minus cosmic rust.

Anyway, some continuities posit that Cybertron has at different points supported organic life, so having an atmosphere works out there, I guess[/retcon]

3. Idon

Idon Well-Known Member

But that still doesn't cover all the continuities.
    WFC/Exodus and Animated, for example, had an atmoshpere and there is absolutely no reason for them to have one.

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I think most planets end up naturally forming atmospheres of some kind regardless of any other conditions (such as actually being a mechanical god). Gravity would draw some in, and certain planetary forces/reactions (including an advanced civilization living upon it) would produce some form of gases that could form an atmosphere.

Removing said atmosphere would probably take considerable effort. If it wasn't directly harming them, I doubt the Transformers would bother doing anything about it. After all, they've got wars to deal with.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The simple answer is convenience for storytelling.

Or if you want to get into science - all machinery generates heat. In a vacuum, this heat just sits there dispersing very slowly, causing machinery to overheat. It's been a major challenge in space exploration apparently. In any event, sentient robots can seemingly overheat like other machinery, so Cybertron having an atmosphere aids them in functioning.

Granted, we see TFs functioning in space all the time, but I dunno, maybe it drains their reserves faster to operate in a vacuum than it does in an atmosphere where the heat can disperse more readily.

That's not even factoring in machinery, like power plants, that very possibly couldn't function properly in a vacuum.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

The other side of the coin is how did the atmosphere even GET there? What sustains it? Where does all that breathable content come from?

zmog

7. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

It's rather simple, imo. I'm almost pretty sure that all planets that have significant mass have an atmosphere (that is, if they're close enough to a star or have significant internal heat enough that gasses don't freeze). I know that in several of the universal streams, Cybertron is a big planet, so it makes sense for it to have an atmosphere.

Why don't they get rid of the atomosphere? Well, there are several reasons, I think. First of all, it'd be too much damn work. After all, in a lot of continuities, the only thing that can rust out Transformers is Cosmic Rust, so there's no harm in keeping an atmosphere. The second reason is that surface temperatures on planets without atmospheres can vary widely between day and nighttime. At the equator of Earth's moon, for example, the lowest temperature recorded was 100K, and the highest temperature is 390K. In a lot of continuities, TFs are sensitive to extreme cold and/or extreme heat.

Anyhow, my :2c: .

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Also to allow combustion.

9. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Well this is interesting, why is each time we see humans go to Cybertron they don't sufficate? do they have a breathing atmosphere like Earth?

10. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

That's funny, 'cause I distintly remember in G1 that humans were floating around in space without spacesuits in a few episodes. I could be wrong, 'cause I haven't watched G1 in a while, but I swear I remember it.

11. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

In the episodes Divide and Conquer, The Ultimate Doom and Desortion of the Dinots we see Spike, Carly, Chip and Sparkplug walking around as if their on Earth

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Oxygen is still a pretty useful compound, for the problems it creates for metallic life.

13. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    well in G1 cybertron was a business planet for selling the automatic robot line. so i supose to have more clients an atmosphere was welcome to have the living beings who needed to breathe come and do business. then later we find out it had an organic core. so possibly it had atmospshere prior to being "onioned" into a mechanical planet.

as far as other timelines/universes go ... well, being robots i doubt they even really noticed it. they dont breath, so why would they notice. or care.

14. Idon

Idon Well-Known Member

Heat is a byproduct of the engine of a machine not being able to utilize 100% of the invested energy, it not being a perpetum mobile.
    Considering that Cybertronians run on a really small amount of Energon, mass wise, I'm gonna say that they are really cost effective and that the heat is not the problem.

Whether or not a planet has an atmoshphere, depends on its material composition, distance of the sun, the heat of the sun, the density and the site of the nebula it was created from..etc.
    It being there just because it is a big planet doesn't make sense, especially since Cybertron is rich with both oxygen and various metals that are highly reactive with each other, making it impossible for the oxygen not to be used up creating molecules with them over the years.

Also they fly through space without protection.

They don't have combustible engines, if they had the Seekers wouldn't be able to fly in space with just energon as fuel.