Cybertronians should fear Humans

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Plainsjumper, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

Argument: Cybertronians should fear humans because their technical progress in such a short time should be astounding to them.

Assumptions

Average human natural life-span: 86 yrs

Average Cybertronian natural life-span: 2 million years minimum
    (They were at war for millions of years on Cybertron before arriving on earth)

Technical progress on Cybertron has remained generally stagnant during the war.

Fact: Humans have progressed from living in caves to posessing nuclear weapons in the space of 6000 years.

6000 years as a percent of estimated natural life-span of a Cybertronian:

6,000/2,000,000 * X/86 X= 0.258 Just over a quarter of a year.

Human comparison: Some kind of tool using higher primate going from caves to nukes in just over four months.

This should be scary to them I think.

2. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

it should be scary but cybertronians tend to think of us as "stupid monkeys", decepticons especially

3. bungalox

bungalox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good critical thinking.
    Another question to add is why anyone would follow Megatron and Optimus for millions of years and not got impatient over not winning the war yet?

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

But there is also reasons for the distaste:

1 - You think 'Cons will bother digging up our history? They'll look and say "LOLZ, THEY'RE NOT MADE OF METAL, BUGS!", they're space Nazis, research is not their forte [nor is humility].

2 - Most of our proggress [except maybe nukes] are really nothing to their heavy-duty SCI-FI tech, to them, we are monkeys who managed to build a little tool made of bamboo.

3 - Regardless of our achievements, we are still little, fragile, short-lived, unneducated [in their eyes] animals to them, they basically see us as super-evolved ants.

Theoricatically, we should fear rats, they carry very deadly diseases, can grow to an abnormal sizes [to the point of eating babies], reproduce fast and can sneak into places without being seen. Yet we just see them as pesky little annoyances to be dealt with.

Though on this case, I figured a Nazi-Jews comparison would make more sense :confused2 

5. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

Well some people scream at the sight of them, heh.

But rats have been the same 'ol rats for as long as humans have been keeping track of them. There's no scary technical growth there.

6. ahunmaster

ahunmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good argument and they probably should fear us humans.

However if they ever saw us as a threat, they would be able to take us out easily... or at least make us take ourselves out easily. They're smart enough to trick us into attacking each other.

I thinking something like the scenario in Wargames where the US military thought the Soviet Union was attacking when it was just a high school kid that hacked their computer to play a game against it.

7. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

You have a point with them not researching but I think you're missing the point. In their life span, it won't take us very long to overtake them in technology.

8. Worlder

Worlder Well-Known Member

I have yet to see what them little shaped charges deliver via shoulder fired rockets launchers can do to a Cybertronian.

A jet of molten metal...

9. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Is it really fair to compare our technical growth to Cybertronians when they've been locked in a war that spanned galaxies? Wouldn't it be more logical to compare technological growth to when Cybertronians themselves were developing their technologies rather than during the war?

Besides, Megatron created a plague that could ravage a Prime. If he made a virus that could attack humans, and the fact he has a lovely ship to seed countries the world over and disappear into space without a trace, we'd be pretty screwed.

10. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

In TF: Prime certainly a few transformers do know to fear humanity.
    Especially anyone who has direct contact with MECH.

The rat analogy is pretty apt. In comparative lifespans, the human cybertronian
    divide is immense. It would be like all of a sudden we discovered a race of mice
    who are not only sentient but also have a talent for industry and art. What would
    we do? All of a sudden we had on our hands a species that is so fragile and short
    lived but just as self-aware as we.

The implications are pretty mind boggling. Would we swear to protect them and
    sponsor them to ever greater accomplishments? Or simply consider them merely
    a novelty at best or an irritating pest. I imagine these options sound familiar.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I blame Michael Bay for the creation of this thread. He and his 'humans being able to kill Decepticons' bullshit. Bah.

12. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Not this shit again...

13. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Maybe that's why the Decepticons aren't showing themselves freely. Besides, if humans as a whole find out Cybertronians exist, it's possible that they'd say that all the problems of humanity came from the Cybertronians. Leaders would probably use their existence as a way to unite rival parties. Nations may end up collaborating to take out theri 'mutual' enemy.

In Star Craft, the discovery of aliens changed the earth profoundly. And united various factions under one banner. Transformers Prime's earth could end up in a similar manner. All earth's countries suddenly saying they've got something bigger to deal with and unite themselves under a singular government dedicated to earth's 'protection'.

As for comparative lifespans. I think I've posted research previously that states that limited life spans are actually quite beneficial to a species. For one, it allows the quick adaptation of the species to changes in the environment, transferring resources and power from one generation to the newer generation which might introduce something new to the species.

Here it is: http://io9.com/5844172/computer-model-reveals-what-would-happen-if-humans-became-immortal

Rodents are adaptable. But maybe they're so adaptable because they live and die so quickly that the species as a whole is able to rapidly adapt to changes in th environment.

14. Snarl_2289

Snarl_2289 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Yeah Terry Pratchet has a quote about that, the relevant part is "Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green".

Which I think was Ozymandias's plan in Watchman.........

.......oh shit.

16. Quirriff

Quirriff Well-Known Member

Maybe cybertronians should fear humans, they are the spawn of Unicron after all.

Megatron probabbly thinks open/total war like on cybertron will only ruin the planet making it un-usable like cybertron. Humans are technologically advanced enough to do significant damage to the planet at the very least.

It's never explained why Earth is/was being used as hiding ground for advanced trinkets and energon (which only occurs naturally on cybertron).

17. Deltus

Deltus 異種

Well to be fair humans have always been at war since we were in caves . Yet we still managed to advance in 6000 years while Cybertronians have been at war for millions of years and started out high tech and look at them barely advanced

18. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the Cybertronians however lost everything due to the war. They lost their cities, the most brilliant minds are scattered across the stars. Their economy is in tatters. They lost their technology. They have nothing to trade and no resources to rebuild. They don't have anything to go back to.

While humans are still able to maintain working cities filled with people. We still have universities and companies doing research. Many nations still have stable governments. And we have a working global economy. We have a planet providing us with our needs. Our knowledge is kept and shared throughout the planet, through the internet, through books etc. Cybertronians have almost totally none of these.

Them being in a war may be too simple an explanation. I think it would be more accurate to say that the war decimated their entire civilization. Everything they had was taken from them. They faced their apocalypse, their nuclear holocaust, their armaggedon...And they lost.

Also if Exodus is to taken into account; the Cybertronian civilizatin started dying long before the war. The war itself just finished it off.

19. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Humans - in our current form - have been around for at least roughly 200,000 years. And unless we uncover evidence of some kind of lost civilization (which, to me at least, doesn't seem all that unlikely, given the amount of time we're talking about - but I'm not all the familiar with the archaeological evidence), we can safely assume that we didn't even begin WRITING until 6000 years or so ago. So there's a pretty long period of stagnancy there, too.

I'm not saying your argument is invalid - I think you bring up a really interesting point, to be quite honest. Obviously we've progressed a lot in 6000 years, but as you say, that's not very long compared to a Transformer's lifespan, so I can see both sides. Some might be impressed that we advanced so much in so little time. On the other hand, others (Decepticons, presumably) might not be, since we've only just gotten our act together.

And for all we know, the ability to split the atom, etc - is no more impressive than using a sharp stick, in the grand scheme of things.

20. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    I'd like to bring my vision here, but I think, it would be too antagonistic, I suppose.