Cybertronian Pre-war Society and Culture

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I always wondered what the daily life of a Cybertronian was like. What their political/economical system was like, religion, culture etc. do you think it was similar to human life here on Earth? Did they have television, news stations, churches, offices, hospitals, I'd love to read about it :D 

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe some of them were into toy collecting.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    ...but the toys were non-transforming flesh bags.

I would imagine that life on cybertron would be very similar to life on Earth, but only because these types of ideas and concepts are already developed with a very earth-like design in mind. To even assume that alien's would have something like a political system or a culture similar to humans would be assuming that these Human traits are universal across the Galaxy and considering that these traits are not even universal across the Earth, I highly doubt that a Alien civilization would be any thing similar.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    something ive always wondered myself-what was it like?

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I've always wondered what the Cybertronian masses were like, the millions of civilians that were caught between the conflict of the Autobots and the Decepticons. I never liked the idea that the two warring factions were the last remaining bots warring over a dead planet.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well Prewar i always envisioned an all mechanical world with everyone doing the job they were best equipped to do, such as Hoist and grapple doing construction and Prowl working as some sort law enforcement officer and etc. Those who one day would be come decepticons would be crooks, disgruntled manual laborers and perhaps some thrown out of the Cybertronian Military for various crimes and the worst migrated to Kaon where they could indulge in their more violent impulses. Basically your typical large nation capitalist society. With perhaps less stupid human leadership choices but then again there is plenty of evidence to show Cybertronians are as far from perfect as humans are.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Exactly this!

Myself, I always took many of the most familiar, Earth-like cultural behaviours taken up by many TFs to be sort of a by-product of their contact with Earth culture. Pipes' collector mentality, Rampage's obsession with television, Blaster's rock 'n roll attitude... these are all filtered through their exposure to Earth culture and whatever their interests might have been back home.

Obviously Transformers were highly anthropomorphized from the very beginning, but I do find it somehow tedious when current comic writers tend to envision Cybertronian daily life as being a bit too similar to a blatant Earth model. Megatron Origin and Spotlight Blurr bugged me this way in particular. It seems lazy... if you're writing stories about alien robots... then write stories about alien robots. Write stories that remind us that these beings are not just big metal humans, and that some aspects of their culture and outlook are still completely alien. I find this note of discord between the possibilities of mechanical life, and personalities that seem almost "human" to us, can be one of the most interesting aspects of telling a Transformer story (at least one that isn't intended for children, or to directly sell toys).

It's a tough balance to manage...

zmog

8. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

If you're looking at G1 cartoon continuity, then there was a brief glimpse of it in both War Dawn and the flashback Rodimus has in Five Faces of Darkness.

From the FFoD flashback it didn't seem like there was a large amount of time between when the Cybertronians rebelled against the Quints and when the Military Hardware decided to form the Decepticons.

"For a time, the Autobots lived in Harmony." Whatever that means.

9. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Well, it's fairly obvious that Cybertron had a thriving culture of scientists, inventors, and engineers. There's a surprisingly large number of them, in multiple disciplines, scattered throughout the ranks of both remaining factions.

I would imagine there would be symposia, large-scale projects, debates, competitions, and an underground culture of those pushing the boundaries with things like Ore-13 and the Pretender project...okay, Shockwave probably ran most of the nightmarish stuff by himself.

Considering the esteem most of them seem to be held in, generally speaking, it's likely that scientific achievement was lauded even pre-war. The scientists and engineers among the ranks seem, by and large, to be trusted, and to have fair bit of the limited resources funneled their way even for pure research. I can only imagine the leeway they were given before the Great War.

My impression is that it was pretty much "Just don't blow up the Amprodome when you go test it, Wheeljack." and they could do what they liked.

- Coeloptera

10. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I'm thinking of how Cybertron might have been governed here.

Has there always been a Council of Elders? If i remember correctly from "War Within", i think they were like spiritual leaders who announced new leaders for Cybertron.

I get the impression that, in the G1 era, there was always a supreme leader (a Prime) for Cybertron. It wasn't until the fall of Sentinel Prime that this law of leadership was challenged by the rising of the Decepticons. Hence when Optimus Prime rose to become a leader, he had to contend with Megatron's rebellion.

By the time of the BW era, i think Cybertron had scrapped the idea of single supreme leaders and began supporting the idea of councils and committees for governing the planet.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look at Cybertron in Animated. It seemed the Decepticons were not through of as a threat to the general populace. The Elite Guard were the ones doing the fighting on other planets (out of sight, out of mind). So while they were all Autobots, most were civilans.

12. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

13. SMOG

Not to mention the fact that most of the scientific TFs possess rather high rankings:
    Beachcomber (6)
    Perceptor (7)
    Grapple (7)
    Ratchet (7)
    Blaster (7)
    Skids (8!)
    Wheeljack (8)
    Soundwave (8)
    Shockwave (9)
    Jetfire (10!).

I guess the Autobots value an education. On the other hand, Scrapper is the top ranked Constructicon, with only 5, so the Cons might hold the sciences in somewhat lower regard.

Of course this might also reflect the fact that the Constructicons aren't considered "true" Decepticons due to their "turned" status as former civil engineers. Of course that might be reading too much into it as well. :) 

zmog

14. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Interesting, and that song is fresh . Limewire'd.

I think as the war began it looked more gritty and dirty, kinda like the scenery in Blade Runner. I love that dark futuristic look.

15. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've always imagined that pre-war Cybertron was divided by City-States, similar to ancient Greece, and it wasn't till the Decepticon rebellion that they were united, but not before the majority of them fell, leaving the Autobots and a few others that ended up joining the Autobots for safety.

16. SMOG

Yeah, I agree with this too... I'm not sure, but in the old Marvel comics, were Cybertronian cities sometimes even referred to as "city-states"? It sounds familiar.

zmog

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks wise I'd go with a cross between blade runner, 5th element and tron.

politics I'd go with a republic with a strict caste system judging from what's been shown in comics and cartoons. It would be quite easy to move up and down the ranks but changing career would mean a huge change in how you live your life (kinda like that movie Brazil)

If I really wanted to over think it I actually think they would police themselves close to us. Regardless of how many light years they are away we know that they can think for themselves and have human like emotions so they might share a desire to have some sort of freedom of choice and because of that they would chose a government that has at least some freedom of choice in it (if they had their own way but oppressive government's could very well still exist)

Economy wise its hard to say. If they did live in a strict cast system then it would not surprise me if a large part of the population worked for the state with many choosing to work as traders or for other company's that subcontracted work from the state or sold goods to it.

Now as for the main focus of their government I'd say resource's. We know that transformers have fusion down so energy is not a big issue but basic materials would be a hard thing to get in a world that's really just constantly building upon itself like layers on an onion. So raw materials would be hard to find on cybertron itself but I could see their being a huge industry in space mines in say meteor belts or on other worlds

18. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think they were.

19. SMOG

I like these thinks. :thumbs2: 

zmog