Cybertronian Law

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by unchained5150, Aug 8, 2011.

1. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear. TFW2005 Supporter

I've been reading through all of the IDW comics lately and was curious if any of the various codes and laws have ever been expressly written out or if all that's been alluded to are certain sections, accords, sub-sections and the like?

I've always been curious about their governing body as Prowl has always referenced sections of this law or Ultra Magnus states another. It would be neat if someone in an official capacity could write them out if they haven't been already.

2. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having only read a little bit of the comics, I can't speak on the matter with any authority.

That said, on a personal note, I'd rather the law be kept vague and only alluded to when the plot requires. The law is incredibly complex, especially to laymen. Given how it would be safe to assume most comic writers aren't trained lawyers, I fear any attempt to canonize cybertronian law would just result in an overly simplistic, if nonsensical and contradictory legal system.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The only law is kill or be killed. The law of the JUNGLE!

Or is that in Beast Wars?

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know too much about the usage in the IDW comics, but most other media I've seen, "Cybertron law" was plot-talk for forcing someone to do something without putting a gun to their head. :) 

5. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Yup. Writers need to have Prime do something ridiculous and stupid? Cybertron Law!

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Things seem to get made up as the plot requires.

7. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    It did show up in the cartoons too. One specific instance where Optimus Prime challenged Megatron to a fight and won. Starscream has brought it up on occassion, but Megatron never seemed to follow through with it.

8. unchained5150

Ah, very true. I'd forgotten about Heavy Metal War.

The ones who don't want their laws expressly written out: why exactly? Apart from the apparent (lack of) knowledge of the writers on law and the like, why don't you want to know about how their law system works? There are those that want the writers to delve more into the culture and religion but, why not the law? Isn't that a fundamental cornerstone of them as a race as well?

9. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I think its more of a code of honor than actual societal law. Especially since they are at war. There wouldn't be laws that would effect both factions.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Can't really say I'm into Transformers for their court room dramas.

11. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

In answer to the OP's question, in the IDW G1 comics, the Autobot-Decepticon conflict is essentially being governed by the Code of Interplanetary Conflict of which the Tyrest Accord might or might not be a part of.

I don't think any aspects of it have ever actually been written down but the gist is that the conflict would involve native populations of foreign planets as little as possible.

12. unchained5150

That's not exactly what I meant. I'm just interested in the governing body because, before the war -and even during- each side has followed a pretty strict code. Though, they differ from each other, they both have them. The Autobots are more honor bound and have been shown in flashbacks to have things like the High Counsil and what not.

To be honest, I'm just interested in all of the aspects of Cybertron that make them the living species they are. Sure, they're at war and have been for eons but, there's more to them than -the war-, ya know? It's never really touched on.

Exactly what I'm talking about! These are just passages of the greater whole, though. Sections of the agreed upon treaties during the war. It would be nice to have them expanded, to know exactly what they say. Exactly what the terms of the war actually are.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  13. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly that. As a lawyer, I must say that the law is difficult enough to understand for those schooled in, and practicing it, how could one expect comic book writers to have a firm enough grasp on the subject to write a fictional legal system that makes sense?

Furthermore, to create a legal system out of nothing is a herculean task. The law didn't just appear overnight; the common law for example, has developed over hundreds of years. A single piece of legislation could comprise of hundreds of pages. To create a fictional legal system that isn't just a copy of a real life equivalent would be far too much work for very little reward. Really, the only option available for a writer would be to have incredibly simplistic, one sentence laws, which would look pretty silly for a race that has supposedly existed for millennia.

Personally, I'd rather space law just be kept as a plot device.

14. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

This.

If something has no bearing on the story, then it is ultimately unimportant. And why would the writers waste time on something not only not used, but would constrain their own activity and bind the writers as well?

It's a plot device, used to make smart characters do dumb things. No more or less.