Cybertronian Economics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Apr 9, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Albeit Tranformers is fiction, and thus pondering about it is a bit pointless. However... I have been neverendingly curious about how exactly their economy works...

For instance, they have credits. Fair enough. But, what is the point in having credits when it is only applibacle on Cybertron, a planet that is war-torn...and is fighting over supplies, yet somehow credits are still applicable?

Really, it makes me wonder what Cybertron is really like, because for the most part we only see it from two aspects.

That of a zealous society that worships the acient artifacts from their past. Like archaelogists, that are after power.

The other is that of warriors, and science. A war-torn cybertron tearing apart their brothers just to earn a victory...

But, somehow in the middle of it all...

Credits, and Energon somehow are there forming some form of Economy...

Thoughts?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's an economy in terms of credits (or energon/energy as a commodity) probably because both sides engage in commerce (if only with themselves and outside parties) either as a leftover from the days of peace, or because they've found it's the quickest/easiest/most efficient way to assign scarce resources.

There must be some purpose for it, either vestigal or ongoing, if characters like Ratbat were programmed as accountants.

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everything always depends on which continuity of course.

Other than credits we've also seen them use energon and "energon chips" and something called "Shanix" as money, off the top of my head.

Really we've almost never seen a Cybertron that's had it's stuff together to have a real economy. Which is why the conversation explicitly about trying to form a new Cybertron economy post-war in the last issue of Robots in Disguise was quite interesting and a neat bit to have in there.

-ZacWilliam, it is quite fun to speculate about Cybertron society as if it were a real thing. There are SOOO many holes in our info in pretty much every universe...

4. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

In a very limited focus in terms of the whole Transformers franchise, Hearts of Steel issue 2 had a quick scene in which the Decepticons are somewhat curious by Tobias' mention of currency. (Granted, they are evil, so maybe that was a bit of deceit on their part - and they were led by Starscream in that story.)

5. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

They're exclusive for Swindle's weapons shop!

6. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    It could be they were more intrigued by the idea of a system of trade not based on an object without intrinsic use. Paper money and "precious" metals wouldn't make nearly as much sense to the cybertronians as trading in the substance that sustains them.

But yeah, more likely just another example of cross-continuity inconsistency.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I have always seen the Cybertronian economy as being extremely Energon-based, using Energon [both food and fuel] like money around so society can follow.

On the economy itself, I figure it is extremely mining-based, focused on taking every single inch of Energon of the ground [so in a sense, Energon works for them like gold worked for us ages ago], other than that, I figure some manufacturers must be around [after all, those massive Warships, Mining Machines and starships they sometimes use don't build themselves], so it's like early 19th Century Society: Based on mining and manufacting [of course, my knowledge in history is a bit rusty on that era], also, there must be people to refine Energon to be used in multiple tasks.

So in my vision, Mining and Vehicle-Manufacturing would be the main things, very early 19th century like, eh?

And of course, in outworld areas, "exiled" from the Government [like Kaon], the main thing must be mining [of course], scavening, theft [in a Pirate-esque edge] and Gladiator Fights for amusement of the cruel.

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    We never ate gold or used it for much of anything other than jewellery, ornamentation, and as a placeholder for value. It's not really the same as energon. Oil would be something closer, but only when looked at from a market, as opposed to an individual consumer perspective.

19th century society was not based on mining, especially not of gold. While there were gold rushes in the 19th century, and gold was valuable then in the same way it is considered today, the main commodities of trade that economies were based on were, oddly enough, things like sugar, tea, textiles, slaves (in some regions), and at the very end of the century, industrialized goods.

From what we see, the cybertronian economies in most continuities follow a system more akin to the feudal era, or even the second world war, where most resources flow to the military or war effort, and the overall population basically deals with shortages, often being unable to acquire, refine, or manufacture what they actually want, but trading and bartering what scraps they have left.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Of course, we only saw War-era Cybertron with its economy, I was referring to Pre-War Cybertron and its economy, after, then everything turned into WWII.

Yes, yes, I recall about the whole spices thing, I did say my knowledge there was a bit rusty. On the other hand, it's still on the same spectrum [take things away from the ground to use it].

Of course, oil would be fitting as well, I just link more to gold because we never used oil as a coin of exchange [as far as I'm aware].

But you got my meaning, I'm quite sure.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I see it as Transformers storing credits on a chip somewhere in their bodies to represent they're wealth. They may exchange coins and other physical representations of wealth on some exchanges, and they clearly have some degree of knowledge of money, as Smokescreen is a gambler, and they buy drinks at the various Energon and Oil bars on Cybertron.

11. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Transformer economics Link