Heavy/Scratch: Cybertronian Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by megamus, Oct 18, 2007.

1. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Well I could not afford the Cybcon one so I made one myself. I still need to paint the inside of the arms and back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kipco

kipco Cybertronian Relastate

looks pretty rough dude.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    be nice, it looks like he made all the custom parts from clay or putty, so not bad.

4. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

He's right, but you'd be amazed what some sandpaper and water could do to that. Start at 60-grit, then 100, then 150, and finish with 220 and some water, and it'll look like smooth plastic.

5. megamus

News Credits:
    In what way? I am always open to comments but please explain. I am not completely satisfied with the arms but I did not want to make them come off and I could not figiure out a way to make them fold. Yet.

6. megamus

News Credits:
    Super sculpy. I have hear others use something better but I couldnot find anything. I sanded it down and it came off in chuncks in some parts. Anyone???

7. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not bad at all, I agree- some sanding and the alt form will look spot on. nice job.

8. kipco

I didnt mean to come across as a dick. sorry. It does need some serious sanding though. Right now it looks as if it were made out of play-doh. Smoothing out the wings and repainting it would be a great improvement. Remember, sometimes its better to make it 10%-5% bigger than you wanted it so then you have room to play with when it comes to sanding.

9. megamus

News Credits:
    Is there any other product other than sculpy? Like I said when I sand it, it comes off in chucks. I don't understand why but it does.

10. kipco

Sculpy usually needs reinforced. It needs something in it that you build it around. Aluminum foil rolled or folded mutiple times (a lot) is a good, easy, and cheap trick. (haha, not the band!) Google "sculpy tricks" and you will find quite a bit.

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Apoxie Scupt. go to Aves.com they're the makers of it. not easy to find in local stores and if you do, its most likely going to be marked way up. besides they're friendly as hell, family business. the stuff is awesome. when you use it, keep a small glass with water in it nearby, dip your fingers in it occassionally to keep them wet, or do the same with a putty knife if you're using one, it makes it infinitely easier to work with.

12. megamus

News Credits:
    Does it need to be backed like sculpy?

13. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Miicrofill over some stryene may give you some good results.

14. REDLINE

News Credits:
    no it doesn't HAVE to be.

15. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

Ah. Because sculpey is rubbish. It's toxic, and oily, and crumbly, and it refuses to set evenly, so it's either underdone in the center, or burnt and cracked on the outside. Sculpey is only good if you're at summer camp and you want to make a planter or a bowl. And it can't even do that properly, because it'll kill your plant and give you cancer if you actually try to use it. :p 

You need air-drying apoxy, like Aves, as Redline has suggested. You sculpt the shape as close as you can, smooth is a tad with a few drop of water, then let it set for about two hours. After that, you could hammer nails with the damn thing and the stuff wouldn't give. You can sand Aves to a mirror finish, too. Just use the method I described, and hit it with a polishing pad after..

The only trouble is that it only comes in $30 containers. But you could sculpt a new 'Bee every day for twelve months with that much, so it's worth it.

16. Roadster

Roadster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe you could just take out the parts you sculpted and instead, add in other parts from unwanted toys.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's actually not too bad, but yeah, those parts need to be smooth and the wings need to fold back.

It's definitely worth improving.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Any chance of finding some parts for the arms to kitbash instead? I think that would have been my first approach. If you revisit the arms, I'd think that would at least be worth looking into.

Anyways, nice work! :) 

19. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    What TFS did you use to make it? As it looks good but just needs some more finishing to make it look a little smother,But great job :) 

20. WheelJacksWrkShp

WheelJacksWrkShp Here goes nothin'

Just a thought, and excuse me if this doesn't work but I have building r/c aircraft for the past year or so and I do a lot of scratch building of parts. The method I would suggest is if you can measure and design the parts you want accurately via computer or hand drafting tools, try snatching a piece of pink foam (Extruded Polystyrene) from a construction site scrap heap and transfer the design to the foam.

Cut away the excess stuff and with some light sanding to shape and filling with light weight spackle you could have the parts you need in perfect dimension with each other. you can paint and coat them in minwax polycryl to suit you finishing and durability needs.

Now I know that you said that you didn't want the wing to detach, but if you are willing to go the extra mile then I would suggest getting a bionicle figure and use some of the attachment pieces to make them detach from the arms and re-attach together and make a shield or a hover board or whatever you can think of.

Then if that suits you then you could be really cool and mold the parts and cast bits for all of use to buy. I have a process thought out in my head as to parts and stuff but if you thought this post was long...well you get the idea.:D