Cybertron VS Galaxy Force

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pravus Prime, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Last week I had a friend over who's a fellow TF fan (though not very hardcore) and he noticed for the first time going through my DVD's that I had the last volume of Galaxy Force that had come with Mass Production Noisemaze and asked about the series. Long story short, I've never actually watched either Cybertron nor Galaxy Force all the way through and decided I should probably do so.

Since both are available to watch online, which would you recommend? Way back when, I had watched the first few episodes of Galaxy Force, but the source that I was watching them dropped the series around episode 9 and I hadn't discovered the pirate resources and TV-Nihon and all that back then. When Hasbro's website viewer put up Cybertron episodes, I watched maybe 3 episodes.

I know that Cybertron mashed to hell the opening of the series, cutting up the first two episodes of Galaxy Force into their first episode.

I also read that Cybertron was more polished and accessable, even if it does try to shoehorn itself into the Unicron Trilogy while Galaxy Force stood alone (despite Takara's later retcon saying the same).

This leads me to think that perhaps I should watch the first two episodes of Galaxy Force, then switch over and watch episodes 2-51 of Cybertron. For a little bit of background, I rather enjoyed Superlink but found Energon unwatchable (like pretty much everyone else).

So, which should I watch?

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Watch Galaxy Force.

Terrible voice work and suffering from so much lost in translation does not make it worth while to watch Cybertron. Seriously.

Galaxy Force FTW

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Cybertron or Galaxy Force, it really does not matter. It starts very slow so the edited opening of the first two episodes makes no difference (the rest of the story was, ironically, edited together for the final episode).

I personally watched Galaxy Force and found it watchable enough, though I've heard Cybertron does a better job of livening up the script and injecting some wit into the otherwise samey stock footage sequences.

Neither version unfortunately fixes the fact the series takes so long on the racing in the first part that the plot feels rushed at the end. The finale of the series is great and the final two episodes in my opinion are the perfect endcap to what was then five years of Transformers continuity, with a great showdown and an epilogue episode to conclude the whole thing nicely, but leaving enough points to convey the message of exploration and that the story continues. It's the Giant Planet / Gigalonia arc that suffers the most, a lot of plot points feel condensed not least a certain Decepticon from Planet X's entire part in the story.

Whichever you pick to watch, it is worth viewing. I'd honestly suggest Cybertron simply because I found that little bit more charm in the English script than the Japanese one.

4. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah its 6 of one half dozen of the other. Its not like some other shows where the sub is great and dub is unwatchable. Cybertron is easier to watch if you an english speaker obviously, so just go with that.

and when your done watch your japanese version DVD and see how they compare. you always rewatch the other series then if you enjoy it.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It doesn't really matter what version you'll watch.

Personally I love Cybertron/Galaxy Force to death. After BW, G1 and Animated it's my favourite series. I prefer and watched the Cybertron English dub (Which BTW isn't that bad folks and it had a very polished and entertaining dub) however Galaxy Force is epic as well but it at times can be just a tad bit boring when you see the repat use of stock footage. It really just comes down to do you like subs or dubs?

After going through Cybertron/Galaxy Force your going to start loving your Cybertron/Galaxy Force figures a lot more.

My rating of the series is 8/10. Though that's biased due to the fact I didn't know about Galaxy Force and i had gotten into Transformers around the time Cybertron was released.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This has always made me want to watch Cybertron. I was watching Galaxy Force when the fan subs were released. I know I'll still prefer the Japanese voices more than most of the US cast, but I can certainly see how that the translation/rewrite can be better.

The voice for Starscream in GF is really cool, I've always thought. :) 

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Galaxy Force better, but probably because I saw it first.

Galaxy Force still has the best transformers theme song ever! (Ignition!)

8. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'll basically echo Sol Fury. That mashed-up first episode isn't great, but after that, it's all pretty much-of-a-muchness. The Cybertron dub doesn't have any of the chronic mistranslations and general cock-uppery that made the English versions of the previously two shows so bad - but it is also a lot wittier and funnier to watch than the oftentimes VERY po-faced Galaxy Force. Next to nothing is removed in translation - indeed, there are times when you can see that Cybertron is really working hard to make MORE sense than Galaxy Force (there are more than a few moments of really silly "magic" glowing-power-of-the-heart crap in the show, and Cybertron adds technical explanations and stuff, and reasons for hte kids to be around after their usefulness has logically expired, stuff like that). The idea of it being made part of the Unicron Trilogy is true - but all it actually amounts to is that the say Unicron's name a few times. They don't cram it with callbacks or try to explain what's happened in the intervening years, they just carry on as Galaxy Force did, mentioning the Big U on occasion. That's it - and it makes the explanation of where the black hole came from make MORE SENSE in Cybertron, when in Galaxy Force, they have to serve up a really vague explanation about an "evil god" being trapped by "an object like the Matrix".

So I'd say go with Cybertron. Unless you're one of those people who believes that "character speaking with accent = bad voice acting".

9. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

Galaxy Force, if only because Megatron's voice actor is awesome.

10. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

As with most stuff its better to watch it in it's original format/language. However as may have pointed out it was a pretty terrible show both sides of the pacific.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I got up to the racing stuff in Cybertron taping it off the telly but then a pal gave me all of Galaxy Force he'd downloaded and I got as far as the racing stuff in that and then just gave up. Really must get back to it sometime.
    So, in conclusion, they're about the same to me. The racing planet sucks. :p 
    I think it might just swing slightly to Cybertron for me just because I wouldn't need to follow subtitles.

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I watched and like Galaxy Force. But it can drag when everyone's going 'Force Chip - Ignition!' every few seconds. I believe Cybertron negates this problem somewhat by adding lines in when this animation takes place.

13. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    I'll admit that Galaxy Force is quite intriguing for the taste buds, but when it comes to certain points, the whole thing can be a letdown with whole "Force Chip - Ignition" thing or saying "Transform" every ten seconds. Cybertron takes that away and adds humourous dialogue that makes you want to repeat it over and over again.

So, for one thing, I'd say that Cybertron is more preferrable, even if the racing series seemed to drag on to most people. I for one enjoy the racing moments because it gets your adrenaline going and your spine tingling every corner they turn.

14. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Well, for the racing bits, you only have to watch, like 4 episodes to get the general gist of what's going on, what happened, and who's on who's side. Then continue on with the rest of the series...
    I'd say Cybertron, because Galaxy Force tended to get a little boring during the episodes with large fights. As stated before, it's all "Force Chip" this and "Transform!" that. Cybertron decided to include some banter (be it witty or not depends on the viewer) or explain a little of whats going on.

15. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Galaxy Force. I personally think any show/movie is best enjoyed in the language it was originally written for. I am typically not a fan of dubs. Cybertron's dub was painful to me where as Galaxy Force is my favorite of the Japan originated TF series. Starscream and Guardshell in particular stood out as being incredibly well voiced in Japan where as Guardshell's Landmine dub made him sound like an uneducated hick.

16. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I might be the only person in the world who LOVES the race arc.

17. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I liked the racing arc too but it did drag on and because of that they squeezed a lot into the last few episodes and would've benefitted if a few episodes were freed up if the racing arc had been condensed.

18. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Galaxy Force, like Recall said. It's so awesome to hear Galaxy Convoy yell "GALAXY CANNON! FULL BURST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Also, I strongly suggest watching it on Youtube. There's some great channels out there with High Quality Galaxy Force at your fingertips.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Couldn't stand Cybertron with the stupid accents and characters that never shut up.

Watched Galaxy Force all the way through, but I probably couldn't do it again.

20. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I liked it too. Also, all I've seen is Galaxy Force, tried to watch an episode of Cybertron or two, it just wasn't the same for me. So, my opinion is a little biased in this debate.