Cybertron Vector Prime vs Galaxy Force Vector Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Chaos Incarnate, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Well, yeah, but we've been fooled before by protos and samples that have appeared both online and at conventions. If he really does end up exactly the same... well, I'm not sure. Kitbashing is not a route I feel like taking, so maybe I'd actually import a mainline TF for once.

Either way, there are still other Cybertron figures I hold in higher priority, namely Scourge. Mmm, Ghidorah-y.

2. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

I picked up CVP today and just wanted to add a tiny detail (probably already known by everyone)... the planet key is completely clear blue and has no gold/silver paint like the GF version.

I felt this was worth mentioning since when you attach the key to his chest in robot mode it detracts a lot from his overall look.

I'll probably just end up adding the missing paint apps myself, or if I get too upset while doing it, just get the GF version when I get the cash :D 

3. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I have the Cybertron version. At first I thought that the GF version looked better, but now I'm glad I got the Cybertron version. I think the white makes him seem more regal or something.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up the Cybertron version today, and damn, you guys are just a bunch of whiners. All the issues people have about him are all overblown. Yes, he doesn't look quite as good as the GF version, but viewing him as a stand-alone figure, without taking the other version into consideration, he's still impressive, and he doesn't feel like anything's missing, with the exception of the red orbs on his shoulders. Additionally the soft plastic wings and sword are a godsend, IMO. If they were stiff, I can see them being brittle as all hell, and I'd be afraid to play with him at all. It's strong enough to not flop for no reason whatsoever, but it's pliable enough that I won't be scared to drop him.

That said, I'll still be adding paint details of my own, to fill in what's missing. And the darker brown shades on him I think are going to make an awesome undercoat to a more show accurate red layer. I'm very happy with him.

5. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

After having him on display for a while, I am getting the same vibe from the bright white... he demands respect or something...

I'm thinking that after I add the missing paint apps, he'll look like a "new" GF vector prime :D 

6. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I agree that the criticisms are a bit overblown, and the difference is probably not worth paying $40-50.

I would be perfectly happy with the Cyb version if not for the wings. I just find it incredibly irritating that the wing tips point in opposite directions. Since I was able to find a GF Prime on eBay for a total of $32 (including S&H), I went for it (my Cyb VP was damaged in a cat related incident, while I was trying to fix the wings).

7. DVD

DVD Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention in my previous post, that my VP needs some time in a CR chamber as well. I just noticed that Safeguard's minicon post broke off inside the minicon port on VP's left arm. So there you go, another reason for me to order the GF version.

8. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I wasn't whining, I just stated facts, and then my opinion. Can't wait till the 2-pack comes out. I think I'll dry brush some of the details on him.

9. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Now that I have both figures, I have to say its a bit of a toss up. The only missing paint app that bothers me about CVP is the wing trim, and I definately prefer the extra gold paint he has on his torso. That more than makes up for the missing dollops on the arms and legs.

As for colors, I definately am preferring the stronger contrasts found in CVP. The problem is that the details are harder to see. The gray of GFVP is darker than I thought it would be, and not enough of a contrast with the medium brown. I think there must be some happy medium - maybe a bone or ivory that allows the contast but also shows off some detail.

As for construction, the joint which connects the wing to the body is loos on GFVP, but as I've stated before, the soft plastic has warped the wing panels of CVP.

All in all I think its a draw.

10. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    That reminds me. There's a joint on the black wing binder of VP, a hinge, partway between the wing and the body. Anyone know what it is for?

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had a chance yesterday to see GFVP in person, and :puke: .

While the extra paint details are nice and all, the red is...eww. It's not the dark, rich red of the anime. It's this bizarre, faded rust colour that doesn't look very nice at all, especially with its lower contrast to the grey/silver plastic.

I've started to hand paint the details on my Cybertron VP, and already it's looking much, much nicer.

[edit] how is that puking smiley supposed to work?

12. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    It's weird, but here in Australia the price difference is negligible. I picked up the Galaxy Force version for $50 (Australian) around 3 months ago. Now the Cybertron version is retailing for around $45.
    (Gazes up smugly at mega-detailed VP) :D 

13. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    As usual, I'm months behind everyone else in picking up figures. I've been saying for awhile now that I'd like to have Vector Prime, based on his biography mainly, though the figure looked good. Then he started disappearing from shelves, but a few have turned up recently, so I bit the bullet and put down the $20 for him.

Nice looking figure. So, here are my thoughts.

- The spaceship looks good, but the teal 'wings' are made from pretty soft plastic. As is the sword, which is a bit warped. No paint applications on the wings. I've read the original, very thorough review and it does seem that the US version cut costs a bit more than I'd like by limiting the paint. But it's still a nice deco job.

- I like the color scheme all around. The white, teal/metallic teal, gold and brown make for a distinctive deco.

- Rather (disappointingly) simple transformation scheme. However, the figure is very stylized to look like a knight in armor, so this seems to have been a case where the 'look' was more important than the transformation, and that's alright from time to time.

- I love the cogs and gears all over the ship. Really, the concept for Vector Prime as a mix of medieval knight/spaceship/older tech transformer is very well executed.

- Safeguard is a bonus. Nothing too remarkable, but a functional little mini-con, who seems to have much the same transformation as Vector Prime.

- Unique cyber planet key is nice. And he can wear it!

Overall: I'm very pleased with this figure. A bit simple, but makes up for it with a great bio and a nicely thought out concept behind his appearance.

14. Hot-Shot!!!

Hot-Shot!!! Transform and rise up!

Ebay:
    I still haven't got one of these yet but I will definitely get the GF version. I can't stand that brown at all on the Cybertron version and am too busy to do anymore repaints :/