Cybertron Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by payres, Jun 20, 2006.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pics at Remy's http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act408/ - his not mine !

Ordered late Thursday night off eBay. Arrived Tuesday morning.

This new incarnation of the chaos bringer is a sci fi style tank. Looking at it - with the claws at the front and the off centre cannon I'm put in mind of the original (and very good) Mega Tankorr. I'll cover the action features - he's got a cannon which can swivel to the sides - somewhat limited in tank mode - and raise via a pivot above it's connection to the tank. Effective range is about 2m. There's a key slot at his rear - key is identical to Sideways - which opens a "Unicron planet mouth" like detail on the chest to reveal a tri barrelled cannon. One of the halves of the covering is a little reluctant to move to the sides on mine. There's an additional smaller non functioning weapon that's ball jointed into the tank on the opposite side to the missile launching cannon - between them is set a radar dish behind which is the robot head - not terribly well hidden, yes you can flip the robot head up in tank mode. 2 spikes are mounted on each of the sides of the tank - these pop off and are attached by a very shallow standard width post - so yes you could replace them with Requiem Blasters to really tool him up. 2 Claws are at the front of the tank but all they do is rotate - not open and close but it's a reasonable simulation that varies the distance between the tips. Big wheels at the back, small wheels at the front under some tank treads.. Absolutely minimal clearance from the ground though. The entire arrangement is dependant on several very small pegs towards the front of the vehicle and can come apart during handling.

Before transformation turn him over and take note of the arrangement underneath. There's a pic at Remy's should you forget ! http://tfkenkon.com/g/?mode=view&album=Collection/act408&pic=c_unicron05.jpg&dispsize=1000&start=0 Remove the side spikes - they'll fall off at some pt, save the toy the trouble and save you the trouble of having to find them. Pull the side of the tank away and then fold them back with the entire pelvis assembly under the tank. Unpeg the tank tracks at the front and fold back so the long piece of grey plastic they're attached to is flat against the base of the tank - the peg sticking down has a groove for it to fit in. Pull the treads out to the sides and lock the shoulders in place. Fold the claws back and flip the hands out. Fold the tank sides back, concertina the connecting bits of plastic over the bit connecting the arms and rotate at the waist ! Fold tank front down to cover the lower chest and pelvis. Fold the feet out. Fold the head down and rotate at neck. Replace spikes on leg shields or use as hand weapons.

Posability is excellent - ankle, knee, ball joint at hip with bicep swivel beneath it, waist - somewhat limited by pelvis armour, neck, shoulder fore & aft, and to the sides, bicep just above the elbow and forewords at the elbow. Cannon is freed up in this mode a little, key gimmick still works. Robot looks like Unicron - head, shoulders, lots of orange, spikes, which is the point of the toy, the only addition I could have made would have been holes for the spikes on his back so they stuck over his shoulders. Lovely orange lightpipe eyes ! The robot somewhat puts me in mind of Cybertron Megatron which makes me think how much better he'd have been as a deluxe toy.

With the exception of the clearance and the potential to separate a bit if you hold him wrong this is a very good toy - a sci-fi tank - and they've done they're sci fi toys well in GF/Cybertron and an update to a classic character. Doesn't matter what I say as you'll get him cos he's Unicron.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Cool, thanks for the first impressions! I'm looking forward to this one, glad to hear he does the guy justice.

3. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Just bought this guy yesterday.

One word: Floppy.

His leg shells are a pain in the ass, because they won't sit firmly or lock in place, and if you put the blades on him before you transform, they'll come off, and by having to put them back on, you pop the shells loose again. Not a major hassle, but obnoxious.

Legs are loosie goosie. He can be posed, but he'll drop it like it's hot in an instant.

His look is fantastic, love both the tank and robot modes (haven't been able to put him down!) but there are a few things I'd have double checked in the QC department before shippin' his ass off to the public.

All in all, he's a solid B- figure.

Great range of posability for a Deluxe, vehicle and robot modes look fantastic, and he's a cool figure even with all of his shortcomings.

the small problems that make him a pain in the ass aren't dastardly, so he's still worth buying, but don't expect a Masterpiece type figure.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    sounds to me like he's right up there with sideways/noisemaze then... just put some polish or glue on his balljoints to tighten everything up... damnit I want him realllly bad.

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's funny, he reminded me of that as well. Just the look of the hip joints even. He is kinda floppy and standing him up so far has been way more of a chore than you'd expect for a deluxe. I'm dying to get another one though, I want to do a repaint. :ev: 

6. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Two gripes with the mold.

* Floppy floppy floppy floppy.

* The head is the least-hidden thing in the entire universe in tank mode.

Otherwise, great toy. Very cool seeing all those Unicron features shoe-horned onto a tank. Even the chomper teeth are amusing (if a little cheesy).

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dunno. ive passed on him a couple'a times. just not feeling him.

that said, i still dont have amd unicron.

8. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I hope the looseness can be tightened up. hm. i wonder if i should get one now.

9. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What! You fool! You'll destroy us all!

Egad, man! Get one STAT.

10. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Unicron is one of the coolest Deluxes in robot mode. He looks fantastic.

11. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Just noticed an interesting bit of trivia...

Unicron looks like the only Cybertron mold that doesn't have a stupid little arrow molded near the Cyber Key slot.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

What!? NOOO! How will I know where to plug his key in?

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Seriously.

*repeatedly shoves key into Unicron's armpit. Gets nowhere*

14. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

*tries the backdoor and is promptly destroyed*

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    fergawdsake's man, its a cyber key, not a roll-on.

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

i just got one yesterday, want to get another : ) I like him a lot and mine doesn't seem to be as loose as everyone else is talking about. He stands fine.

17. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I think the award for "The-least-hidden-thing-in-the-entire-universe" still belongs to Energon Ironhide...at least Unicron's head flips around and blends into his alt. mode.

Oh, and nail polish + ball joint = :thumb 

18. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

I just wished his face was not skull-like because there's going to be a repaint of Unicron as Bludgeon

19. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Mine is quite tight. I can say there are quite a few things wrong with the paint. Few specs here and there and a small circle near his head.

20. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just played with him a bit and he's a really great toy! Love the sculpt and all the little details that they put on him. The tank mode is so cool and sci-fi looking.Robot mode is very nice with weapons everywhere! Some minor complaints: His head flips up and down in robot mode and i wish it would secure better. Also the hip joints are too loose as previously mentioned. Also mine came with orange paint spilled onto the face but I managed to scrape it off fairly well with a blade. His cyber gimmick is pretty cool in that his chest opens up to reveal a weapon like his supreme version did. Very highly recommended piece! :thumb