Cybertron to DVD = Cool. But where's G1 ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Greenspan, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    Now that TVShowsonDVD.com has announced that the whole Cybertron run will be coming on DVD in July I was wondering : WHERE IS G1 ?!?!?

The Rhino sets has added sound FX that just bugs the hell out of me. Plus they're out of print and were expensive to begin with.

There is the chinese (or is it japanese) set, but I hear it's mainly the Rhino transfer with some bonuses.

All I want is the 98 episode G1 run, un-altered, no sugar added, no messing with the sound FX or imagery. Just the bare bones as it aired in the 80s with the cool Victor Caroli voice intro and ad bumpers.

I just don't care about re-mastered this and that, if I had them on VHS I'd be just as happy.

Is that too much to ask ?

Who's with me ?

Godspeed
    -Greenspan

P.S. Come to think of it would it be too much to have the bare bones G.I. Joe sets as well ? Hasbro's 2 biggest franchises (who started it all) are not readily available on DVD in 2008. Baffling.

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Rights limbo, I believe. Kickback would be better equipped to explain it, but if I recall correctly, the rights are in limbo since Sony closed their Sony Wonder division (which released the 20th Anniversary DVD of the original animated movie back in 2006.)

Elsewhere the rights are held by TV Loonland, who own Sunbow's properties (including the Japanese G1 series).

Currently there are only two official G1 DVD sets still shipping, Metrodome's (UK) and Madman's (Australia).

3. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Seems to me Sony would still have the rights. Just because they aren't doing anything with them, doesn't mean they don't have them. It's a real shame that they didn't get to the G1 release as I'm sure it would have been better than Rhino's. Really though, minor complaints aside, I'm pretty content with the Rhino sets. Surely they are better than not having G1 at all on DVD. What I'd get behind is a Blu-ray release of G1. Go back to the film stock and give us an HD Transformers that would make our heads explode.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The problem was that Sony BMG had the license for G1 to release through Sony Wonder. No other division of Sony had the rights to release them. When Sony BMG closed Sony Wonder, the rights defaulted back to Hasbro.

Make no mistake, Sony Wonder was closed, employees given notice or outright fired. A few months after the closing of Sony Wonder, Sony Pictures had decided to absorb the Sony Wonder name, however few of the shows they had rights to moved with them because of the nature of their licensing agreements. Shows licensed to Sony BMG could not necessarily be moved to Sony Pictures unless specifically allowed by their individual agreements.

Note:
    This info was from last year. I have no clue how long Sony BMG was signed to hold the rights for originally.

5. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

You don't seem to have a problem with the Chinese tin, buy that. We're lucky those haven't dried up or no one has had a complaint... and they get pulled.

Maybe someday we'll get a reissue by Sony or someone else... but I wouldn't keep waiting.

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I used to think the same but I checked some of my old bought TF video tapes from the 80's and I noticed that some of the sound effects arent really added but enhanced due to better stereo and audio technology.

I say some because I dont have all 98 episodes on original bought tapes but I do have a good number and in each that I compared to the Rino set the FX sounds are the same but much less dominate in the original tapes.

7. perceptor2.0

perceptor2.0 artist

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    To the OP:

I know what you mean, but in all honesty, I can't for the life of me see why anyone can literally hate the Rhino releases. When they were originally released, everyone ate them up. When it was announced they weren't "perfect", everyone bitched. Same went for the Dreamwave comics. Everyone loved it at first, now tons hate it because of Pat Lee's screw-ups.

I guess I'm the only one just happy that they did ANYTHING new with the G1 Transformers after all these years. I own the complete Rhino set, I own all the Dreamwave comics, and I own all since then (IDW). I understand people wanting something better, but why can't everyone be content with what they have? I'll continue to say it......we're lucky as hell to still have this franchise going and I'm happy to see how well the live-action movie did because it will continue to keep Transformers in the mainstream.

With that said, I'd like to see them release the old school originals as they aired back in the 80's. I doubt I'd buy them though and I'm happy with what I've got. I've watched the Rhino sets from front to back and they don't bother me in the least (that's my opinion though). I enjoy cranking the series on my home theater system with the "better" sound. Call me crazy, but I don't recall every little sound that was made on the old 80's TF cartoon--I watched it religiously, but I'm not about to complain about any sound differences and shit. It's a cartoon. Just love what we have and be happy.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The sounds FX bugged me at first too, but I got used to it quickly. I'm just happy to have the complete G1 series on DVD...even if it's hard for me to watch most of the episodes because they're so crappy.

10. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

THe sound effects were always there but some of the sounds came out louder on the Rhino DVD sets then the VHS tapes which in a lot of cases wasn't so great. As far as who owns the rights, that's something you guys whom are going to Botcon NEED to ask! Also ask when Energon will be released too.

I think its awesome that Cybertron is getting released. The tail end of Energon bored me but Cybertron was much better once it got rolling.

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I would love a G1 set on Blu-Ray. That would be all kinds of awesome.

12. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's hard to say what has happened to the North American rights.

Either the rights followed Sony Wonder to Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, or they were relinquished back to TV Loonland. If they were given up, I'm guessing no other company has acquired them yet.

13. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I agree. I'd like to know when Energon will be released, since Cybertron is finally getting a proper one.

14. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just want them to be re-released in some mainstream capacity at a decent price here in the US. I miss having my full series box sets on my shelves.

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Not sure what the point would be for a HD set for Transformers, given there isn't very much at all to work with.

The masters Rhino used, full of errors as they were, are the clearest we currently have. The broadcast masters (what we saw on TV) are not in very good condition, it's blurry and the colours are faded.

16. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

High definition animation errors?

I have Rhino's sets, which give me the English dialogue I love so much but with the production version's plethora of errors. Then I have Pioneer's sets, which give me the Japanese dub which I'm not so fond of, but the broadcast version's slightly less frequent plethora of errors.

So I'm not too excited to buy the series a third time. Now, what would get me to triple dip would be a version that *fixes* all the animation errors. Such a thing would be incredibly costly and is thus entirely unlikely, but that's about what it would take.

17. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

What's neat about HD with traditinal animation is just how much detail you can really get. I was blown away when I watched TFTM on Blu-ray. You could see the dirt and dust on the cels. The line clarity was amazing.. it gave you the true sense that you were looking at hand painted work. Not to mention no more pixelation during momments of chaotic movement.

Just this last year I watched an HD presentation of Frosty the Snowman that really shows off just how good any cel animation can look. You could even make out the layers of cels, and see the shadows given off by the cels them selves.

18. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Yeah we need G1 on dvd forgot crappy old cybertron!

19. perceptor2.0

perceptor2.0 artist

g1 is on dvd seasons 1-4 plus the japanese seasons

20. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

I never liked Armada or Cybertron so I'm not looking forward to this. I do have a question though. I want to (eventually) buy the original G1 Transformers series. Would the Rhino releases be the best choice to look for?