Cybertron: Thundercracker

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Bertson, Jun 20, 2005.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only issue I had with Thundercracker is that the hinge that supports his left cannon arm was a bit loose. So I popped it off its pivot (it's designed to be able to do so), applied a good amount of superglue around the peg, and popped the arm back into place. Keep using that joint for the next minute or so, because you don't want the glue to lock it up on you. Once it's done, the friction should be sufficient enough to keep the arm up.

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I did the samething, but I let the glue dry, before I put him back together. Nice and tight, now.

3. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine was tight right out of the package. While I would have liked a normal arm as opposed to the cannon from hell, he's a pretty decent figure, IMO. Decent poseability, good looking alt mode, overall a fairly decent figure. Certainly not the awesomeness that is Landmine, but quite decent in his own right.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    out of nowhere, thundercracker's little rubber wings on his legs are starting to tear. beware!

5. FordPrefect

FordPrefect nicely inconspicuous

So could you please clarify for me...
    Cybertron Thundercracker is identicle to Galixy Force (Normal right arm and BFG left arm) and it's just that the picture on the back of Cyb. TC's box was reversed.
    When I saw the back of the box, I had my hopes up for a kitbash. Couldn't get a clear view of the toy inside to confirm, though.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the box photo is inversed. A lot of companies do that, when the photos they have don't work with the layout they've decided on. Just so happens that in this case, the figure's asymmetrical.

And not quite identical, as the Decepticon sigil on his cannon/back of the plane is non-existent on the GF version.

7. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

After having bought and played with Thundercracker, I have concocted a list:

THINGS I WOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY
    1. No cannon arm. Regular arm. Have the chip gimmick be back-mounted in robot mode, like a Strike Valkyrie FAST Pack.
    2. Put a rod in the back so that the main wings could flip and become G1-like. Also, it would ideally move them back out of the way of the arms a bit better.
    3. Fold up the rear wings somehow in robot mode to improve freedom of leg articulation. Heck, for more G1 style, move them onto the legs.
    4. Bigger feet for better stability. There's room for another half-centimeter or so in there. Or just keep them on the outside like E.Starscream.
    5. Pegs, pegs, pegs. After also having gone the superglue route, I can't help but feel bad for the kids who buy toys and expect to be able to play with them straight out of the packaging.
    6. Smaller head. Personal preference on this one. It just seems a little too big for the scrawniness of the limbs.

I think it's not a bad toy overall. It's just that it could have been leaps and bounds better than it is with a few relatively minor alterations. I really need to learn how to kitbash.

8. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got him last week, and except for the cannon arm, I am quite happy.

And thanks to all the people who commented on the arm, I expected it to be loose.
    That superglue trick sounds very good and simple enough for me to try. I'll give it a go as I am quite fond of that cannon. :) 

It's just he looks rahter flimsy for $25 (AU, mind) figure compare to a figure such as E Starscream. I wonder why.

9. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I don't mind the concept of a cannon arm, but this particular one is terribly unweildy. I'd have prefered a more useful design.

Absolute no brainers. Just doing these two things would have dramatically improved the entire package.

10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If it wasn't for my wanting to have all the first wave, I'd have sent this guy back right after I opened it. It's primarily a 2uped Cyberjet. The transformation works for something Basic sized, but not Deluxe sized.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I had an extra $10 this week and finally caved into the temptation and bought Thundercracker against my better judgement.

I have to say it's not near as bad as I thought it was going to be....granted, there are some big problems that could have been easily fixed (that damn shoulder for the gun arm!)

The alt mode really is awesome, I don't have anything negative to say about it. I thought the neon orange would be distracting but when i took it out of the package I didn't mind it too much.

I LOVE the G2 Cyberjets (some of my favorite TFs ever made) so the transformation was fun to see. My biggest complaint, like mant others, is the massive obtrusive cannon arm and the shoulder that doesn't stay connected to the body in robot mode.

I'm glad I got Thundercracker, but a good toy could have been a great toy with some minor adjustments.

Thundercracker gets a C

12. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I got him today after wanting to complete a seeker trio. I dont know what all the fuss is about, he looks good in both modes, isnt too floppy (no more than other figs), and his transformation is nice and quick.

13. Mister D

There are minor issues which all together nag me too much, and could be readily improved with an extra tab or two. He is by no means on the level of Armada Sideswipe or Energon Grimlock/Swoop, which are just fundamentally flawed from the top down.

14. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I got him yesterday and I must say that I like him, even though I doubt he'll ever make it out of SU-37 Super Flanker mode (my favorite aircraft barnone). I have him sitting with my EE Starscream and Universe Skywarp and he looks really good there.

15. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

not a very impressive figure nice jet mode though

16. wreckage

wreckage Sweet biscuits!

News Credits:
    I strated off not liking him but in time he grew on me and I love the giant canon arm Cons+big guns=fun.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't know about you guys, but my Thundercracker is great! his arm is not floppy, the key function works perfect in both modes, he stands flawless, and is the perfect transformer to me. There was however, an incident: I had left Thundercracker on the couch and my big cat came along and sat, no, flopped down on him popping a rubber wing off, but a little glue and some patience and he's good as new! He was also my first cybertron figure and gave me faith in this line and future lines. Final verdic on T.C.: 10/10

18. Mister D

Split lip - if you love Thundercracker, your head will probably explode with some of the other Cybertron toys.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    How do you know it hasn't :peoples:  . But seriously, all I'm sayin is, my cybertron guys seem flawless while poeple are complaing about the same figures left, right and center! Just so ya know, I have a gut feeling that this lines gonna pull through in the end and be one of the best lines yet!

20. Mister D

I think most of us feel this is the strongest line in a long time, if not ever. Still doesn't keep some figures from having serious flaws - notably Overhaul, Backstop, and, yes, Thundercracker. Aside from these three the only real bitching I hear is about the quality of Cyb Vector Prime vs GF Vector Prime