Cybertron Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Weirdwolf, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone else got this guy yet? I picked him up last night at Walmart while my wife was getting some groceries, and admittedly, he's not bad now that I've seen him in person. Great homage, IMO. :thumb 

2. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    i know my opinion on this mold isn't popular but man was i ever underwhelmed. he's got a floppy arm and sloppy paint on his bomb door/chest. otherwise bot mode looks ok but he's just kinda meh. like i already wanted the next thing after i opened him.

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was thinking about getting him because he has the con symbol on his chest, but now that I see all the silver paint is missing I'll just stick with my GF Soundwave.

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I passed Cyb Soundwave at WM cuz I thought TRU will have it and I can get it as part of sale ($9.99 fig free with purchase) but predictably TRU has nada once again and someone snatched it by the time I returned the next day. Now I can't find it anywhere but I've been thinking about getting GF Soundwave or Soundblaster instead because of the complaints on the paint job. I'll wait and see if I can find it again.

5. ErikB

ErikB TF Master

for me the figure looks killer in robot and jet mode, break it down to the details there are a YON of stupid design flaws, so that bummed me out. However, that Laserbeak made it for me. for such a tiny bugger, his articulation is off the chart. I demand repaints like buzzsaw and stuff!!!!

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Soundblaster's worth it on his own. As for Soundwave, the Cyb version does have some nice points from what I've seen- the chest logo, and the blue is a much brighter shade. Less G1 that way, but it looks better. And for about $2.50 at Walmart you could get silver paint and brush and apply the missing apps yourself. Might be worth thinking about before importing.

7. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

I was the first one in Wisconsin to find him and I think he is a really good figure, as for the missing silver paint on his head and the gold (I'm assuming gold chrome from pics) on his wings in bot mode I went and painted them in myself, he looks even better now.

8. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I am in the minority I think with this guy. I got him today after following my promise to myself that I'd get him on first site.

I got him open and the first thing I noticed was that the jet held together quite poorly. After getting him into bot mode I found his arms and legs to be extremely fickle. I haven't found a way to pose him that even looks decent.

I am pretty bummed too because Soundwave has always been my favorite bot, and after opening him up I kinda wished I saved my $20 to use towards a BT or SOC.

Aside from me thinking the mold has some bigtime issues I think if is a good homage, and Laserbeak is fantastic. In fact I think I like him WAY more than S-Wave.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    For all you guys wanting GF Soundwave - you'd be risking getting one with a crooked hinge.

The upper and lower torso is held together by a hinged swing bar. On a considerable number of Galaxy Force Soundwaves (including my own), Takara's factories pinned the hinge crookedly, so that it is practically impossible to transform Soundwave into fighter mode correctly (the hips that make up the rear of the jet's fuselage top will look like he's impersonating Elvis). Robot mode is fine.

I'm told by some friends in HK that this problem was so widespread that many dealers and retailers stopped carrying Soundwave because of the numbers of returns.

However, so far we haven't heard or seen of such problems from Cyb Soundwave owners, and Galaxy Force Soundblaster (along with Takara Primus) are apparently being assembled in Hasbro's factories, so hopefully Hasbro fixed this issue, like they fixed Chromia's face.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Hey it's FFn! Hav'nt seen you around in awhile.

Yeah that hinge thing was (IS ) pretty common.
    Mine's even like that.

Must pick up the C version anyways, it's a good price, especially after paying 50+ for the flawed GF version.

11. Dio

Dio Scrapper

I did the cheek painting thing on mine, but I also touched up Lazerbeak to match the GF version... then I decided to make some improvements :D 

[​IMG]

12. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Yeah, I only just came back here about 2 months ago after a hiatus.

I'm going to pick up Cyb Soundwave so I can have one in vehicle mode. His transformation (broken or not) is abit too fiddly for me.

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I got the gf version and love it. Dont know about the hinge issue and i keep mine in bot mode anyway. I didnt want one with the decepticon logo cuz he isnt one and two i wanted the trading card that came with him.

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mine has that damned hinge issue...

15. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Just picked it up tonight. Just love the presence that he has in 'bot mode. Might add some silver highlights at some point. I love the added laserbeak:rock 

16. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

That looks sweeeeet! I'll have to do that to mine too, did you use silver paint like with SW's cheeks or gray paint?

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All of you with the GF Soundwave crooked hinge: do the hinges look crooked even if you don't lock anything into place? If it's not apparent until you fully transform the jet mode, then it's a transformation issue, not a misassembly.

I'm still kinda wondering if the problem's as widespread as people say, or if's mostly to do with Takara's screwed-up instructions. If it's really that bad, then I got lucky, because my Soundwave was perfect.

18. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    One side of the hinge swing bar is higher than the other, so its crooked. Problem was first reported on the japanese TF image board, I believe.

The fact that so many people in the west have that problem is pretty strong evidence that its a widespread issue on GF Soundwave.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where are the new head pics? And did you use silver paint or a marker?