Cybertron Quickmix w/ Stripmine Mini-Con

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by TSFC, Jul 16, 2006.

1. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Found this guy today and was instantly in a state of glee after a really crappy weekend.

Odd thing that got me was, out of the case of 4 Voyagers...they all sold...except him.

I excitedly opened him, carefully removed the twist-ties, and then...I grasped the final figure of the TransFormers Cybertron/Galaxy Force action figure line in my own two hands.

...it was then that I realized how much of a pain in the ass he is. A cool looking, and ultimately likable (once you get over his shortcomings) pain in the ass, but I digress...

First: His mixer/gimmick/right arm is an absolute mess. Whoever designed this elbow joint needs a good stiff kick to the nuts. Thank you, whoever you are for setting me through 20 minutes of frustration. (FYI...the actual elbow is molded differently than what's shown in the instructions, thus he does not have the exact same range of motion as his printed counterpart. This is where the initial confusion sets in.)

Second: His transformation (yes including the right arm, once you've gotten the hang of it) is insanely easy for a figure this size. I'm not asking for a DaVinci design, but wow...I've had Basics/Scouts be a tad more difficult than this guy. (This does help to detract from his coolness factor, but don't count him out entirely because of it.)

Third: His Mini-Con mode is probably one of the coolest I've seen. A Cement Truck with a BFG on board. See this guy comin'? Then you know you're gonna get blown to hell, he's gonna mash the rest of you into pieces with his weight (he's a Cement Truck! Duh! :p ) and then he's going to cover it up like you're the next Jimmy Hoffa. (this is where his construction expertise comes in. Hehe)

Fourth: His work mode is...apparently non existant. It's not listed on the box except in words, not a single picture exists. (No, not even in the instructions.)

Fifth: His transformation, while simple, needs to be explained better. Pulling down on his legs, and upward on his torso will put his arms and legs in their correct robot mode position. (They're on a slider, so if you don't do it correctly (which the instructions do not show) his shoulders will be up around his ears and his pelvis is nonexistant.) I'm guessing keeping his pelvis in/torso down (opposite of what I had mentioned in this little blurb) is his Brute/Work mode. I'm not sure seeing as his vehicular mode with the Mini-Con attached could also be viewed as a Brute/Work mode. I dunno. He's confusing without all the instructions being corrected.

Sixth: He looks cool in both modes, and so does his Mini-Con.

Seventh: Stripmine is pure love. 100% he is one of the coolest Mini-Con molds I've seen in quite some time.

Eighth: Unlike the other Giant Planet guys...no electronics. (I won't get into an issue of good/bad, it's all dependant on opinion, but I will say I find it odd considering his fellow natives carry them in one form or another...minus the Mini-Con team that is.)

Overall:
    I do recommend him, but warn you of:
    The wonky, yet very easy transformation.
    The mixer/right arm.
    The apparently non existant Brute/Work mode (I'm sure one of us will find an appropriate one.)
    The lacking instructions. (Steps are missing! Hello? Fix it!)

Grade: B-/C+

2. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    He's the only Giant planet TF with a REAL alternate mode, so I really want it.

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I haven't bought but a few Cybertron figures, but Quickmix sure looks cool.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not particularly pleased with mine, based on many of the same reasons TSFC mentioned above.

A very simple solution to the arm problem would have been to mold a normal arm and have the cement drum be a detachable component that fit on top of or over the arm. The pelvis/legs mechanism is also a little funky on mine, and the figure basically folds up whenever you try to manipulate the hip joint.

After having Menasor and Quickmix in hand for a while, I'm getting a feeling for why these might have been passed over in GF. I think they both look great in robot modes, but they're just too large to be so simple.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well considering Takara had as much a hand in designing these figures as Hasbro did, they should've just made them better instead of passing them over :p 

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    :useless 

7. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More words, still no pictures.

Phil's Cybertron Quickmix & Stripmine Review

Another buy off eBay, with approximately a fortnight's turnaround this time. Mine was one of the first Singapore release up for auction - the price inc shipping was the same as what BBTS wanted so I ordered. Since then he's hit the states in larger quantities. To date I can't find a decent gallery to link to.
    We'll start with his Minicon Stripmine. Like Megalo Convoy/Metroplex's minicon Horrible/Drill-Bit he resembles and original minicon - only in this case less so. Stripmine is essentially Buzzsaw from the Destruction Team in a dark blue with the circular digging wheel and waste carrier removed and replaced by a long thin barrel arrangement ending in a ridged black piece and a clear plastic piece so that the entire thing could be a drill or a laser cannon. Who knows ? I'm going for laser cannon cos there's a little pop up clear plastic sight on top of him. The very back of the cannon ends in a fold up & down plug. This has 2 unintentional uses - it's a Minicon post so, you can attach other minicons to him, and it can be used to hold the end of his vehicle mode as a gun. Stripmine's Minicon socket is somewhat awkwardly placed between his 2 treads in vehicle mode, but recessed on the main body of the toy. At a guess the only Minicon plugs that would reach it would be those mounted on a post - like those on Primus - lets check - hmmm, no Most of Primus' Minicon plugs are on a post that is too thick to go between the treads. The one on his backside just about works, but only just. The best fit I could find was on Menasor's drill and claw arm gimmick. So to attach him to a larger toy you'll have to bend his legs back first.

To TF Stripmine you straighten his legs back under the back of the toy. Rotate the entire barrel arrangement through 90 degrees via a plate on a swivel joint on the toy's back. Pull either end of the barrel down the sides of the body to for the arms - doesn't matter which way but the instruction have the front of the vehicle's cannon turning into *his* left arm.

A quick work about reversing the TF - unusual I know - but there's a great feature here where you bend the arm forming the back of the barrel back first, and then the arm forming the front. As the front arm comes into position an extension on the back arm forces the sight for the weapon up. It's a little thing but the little things sometime make an impression

The robot mode reveals some bright yellow at the shoulders and upper legs. He's got knees, hips, and shoulders that all move back and forth, plus the shoulders can swing to the sides thanks to the TF. There are some holes on the inside of each arm that look like they should fit the pegs on Armada Thrust's missile launchers, but I've not got one to hand to test and it's too hot today to get into the loft and find one. He has no hands as such - one arm ending in the cannon, the other in the Minicon post/handle which I suppose you could use to mount a Skyblast or Ransack on.

All in all a good Minicon. It looses points for the socket being a little inaccessible in vehicle mode, but the post/handle, the ability to be used as a weapon and the little pop up scope during TF make it a hit for me.

Onto Quickmix.

Quickmix is the fifth Transformer Cement Mixer to be released. The first was Mixmaster - and all his subsequent repaints, then Dual Targetmaster Quickmix, then Takedown the MM and finally back in the early 90s the Micromaster Sixbuild cement mixer which I can't find the name for - but it has in turn been repainted as the Micromaster Devastator Mixmaster. Compared to Cement Mixers, Bikes have got a good deal ! In addition there is a Brave Gao Gai Gar Cement mixer which ends up as a robot with a cannon for an arm.

Quickmix is a mainly Orange cement mixer with some grey and yellow detail, and a light grey and cream mixer drum. Broadly the colours are similar to Dual Targetmaster Quickmix. The drum does not turn, boo. There's a grey lump with a curved front sticking from the front of the vehicle. It looks a little odd but I can conceive that it might be a winch so we'll let it pass for now. There's a minicon port on the cab - the engine exhaust detail here puts me in mind of either Energon or Cybertron Landmine - and another on the rear of the vehicle mounted on what look like a pair of exhaust pipes. The front of the mixer drum rest in a groove at the behind the cab - can pop out if you lift the vehicle by the mixer drum. The back of the drum is pegged into a feeder arrangement for the drum - a box with a chute behind it., and both are connected to an arm the goes to the side of the toy.

If you fold up the top of back of the feeder bucket up and over the front, there's a hole exposed that the peg at the back of Stripmine fits into, enabling him to act as a weapon on the cement mixer. This will expose 2 small pegs. From here if you then fold the entire feeder bucket back you'll get a control panel that Stripmine's robot can stand at - the pegs fit the holes in Stripmine's arms, so it's quite possible that Armada Thrust's Minicon, Inferno, might also be able to operate it. Folding the console back has in turn exposed the key socket - but to use it you'll need to pull the mixer drum free from it's mount at the back of the cab and straighten the rear arm. If you then insert the key the 2 halves of the mixer drum pop apart revealing a missile launcher - a blue shaft ending in a yellow tip surrounded by clear plastic. The missile launcher is fired from a trigger in front of the key socket. The cannon can raise about 45 degrees and turn through 180 degrees - an excellent second vehicle mode.

To Tf to Robot Work Mode - and I'm guessing here somewhat as it's not on the instructions or box but given that the 2 other work modes are shorter forms of the main robot I think we can work it out - start with the cannon mode and fold down the rear wheels under the vehicle like Cybertron Mudflap. Unpeg the rear of the vehicle and fold out behind him. Bend that out to the side of the vehicle from on top, and bend the cannon to the other side unclipping the feeder mechanism/control console. Fold down the orange panel that is revealed. Then rotate the head that was under it. Separate the 2 halves of the front of the vehicle - the front of the cab is attached to one half, and the rear to the other. This will now rotate to form the robot's knees. Fold out the grey structure that might be a winch to form the feet - there's much more of this running inside the cab legs - but the red spots want to be at the rear. Position the arm and the cannon.

To TF from there to Robot Battle Mode pull down on the legs. Wasn't much difference was there ? So little that I'll skip talking about the work mode as all comments relate to the battle mode.

The robot mode is reminiscent of the cannon for the arm Gai Gai Gar toy I mentioned earlier so you're loosing an arm straight away. The body of the toy is grey with an orange chest plate, shoulders, left forearm and lower legs. His head is orange, with silver and grey detailing and a yellow ear piece and mike headset. He's got a lightpipe visor but it's the same clear plastic as the rest of the toy and not as effective as many other lightpipes.

We need to talk about the articulation. Obviously the cannon arm is going to be odd, but it's only limit is that it can't 100% straighten at the elbow, and that the control console hangs behind it - if you remove the key though you can fold & swing the control console under the cannon. The other arm is more of a worry. For not the first time recently the elbow bends oddly. For effectiveness arms should be able to bend so the arm forms an L shape with the fist upright. Here the arm bends and the fist is on the side of the L - for the fist to still be upright the arm would be folded over the front of the chest. A wrist or forearm swivel would have fixed that. Both arms have biceps swivels, swing out to the sides at the shoulders, and have shoulders that move forward and back. The neck turns. The hips bend to the sides, there's a swivel at the bottom of each thigh just above the knee, knees bend back and ankles fold to sides and swivel. Spot what was missing ? That's right the hips don't bend to the front or back. If you don't have that you can effectively forget about the knee joints being useful as well. The panels the hips are connected to are sloped to the sides but there's no reason at all the hips couldn't have been connected to a central piece that moved down through body like these sloped panels do. My only thought is they tried it with hips and the cannon proved too heavy for balance. But we'll not know unless someone asks the design team at Botcon.

The feet are by necessity very big at the front to support the robot with the cannon. However I can't see why they couldn't have made the feet fold up like Mudflap's thus eliminating the sting out bit at the front of the vehicle.

Minicon posts - the one from the top of the front of the cab is now on his right knee, and the one from the back of the vehicle is now on his left forearm. In addition there's now 2 on the chest plate - not a lot of use to anything other than maybe Ransack, or for a Madonna impersonation involving 2 Skyblasts ! (someone needs to take a photo of this)

So overall - Excellent minicon with a small problem with it's socket. OK but limited main vehicle mode - I want my mixer drums to turn ! Very good 2nd vehicle mode. Stunning integration of the minicon into both vehicle modes. Attractive robot mode but with some serious articulation issues. I like the toy, it's good, but a couple of tweaks here and there would have made it really quite excellent. Worth while getting but be aware of the issues.

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mine has a problem staying together in vehicle mode... Namely his arm in the rear, the front tip of the mixer drum, and his legs in front... In other words, the whole entire damned vehicle... I plan to go with a bottle of clear nail polish to tighten him up in those places...

9. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The front of mine is OK, though I've had difficulty aligning the cab bits at times. Agreed on the arm on the back and the mixer drum though !

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Damn, after hearing about the leg articulation problem, Im not so sure I want to get this guy anymore.
    I cant think of any toy in the Unicron-Trilogy, that has hips that cant swing forwards or backwards, I've liked.
    Suck a cool design, and they wreck it by making him a semi articualted statue, damn it, I'll just stick to hunting Menasor + Metroplex.

11. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The dept of corrections would like the following to be registered:

1) The mixer drum does turn - you just need the feeder to be disconnected first. The feeder will then try and turn with it though.

2) The hips do move forwards and back in a walking motion. Excessive force is needed to get them to move. If RID Ultra Magnus had had hip joints this tight then Omega Prime would have had a chance of standing up.

Both these improve the toys standing somewhat.

12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Is it just me or am I legit in fearing the frailty of the clip that connects the drum to the feeder???

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    please figure everything out before I get my hands on mine, thanks :D 

Ron, take a pic of his "supposed work mode" please?

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Tomorrow...

15. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Is the work mode the one hes in all through his Cybertron appearences.
    Where his legs are up high, and the shoulders level with his ear, if he had ears.

16. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, that looks like how I had him.

The clip seems ok, just a bit flexible.

17. Jetblast

Jetblast Powered by Honda

Great review payres!

I have him, and I was really hoping the cement mixer would turn. He does lack the hip articulation, but he is very stable in robot mode. The vehicle mode on mine is pretty stable too. My favorite part is the multiple ways you can place/use the minicon on him. Plus I found others I didn't realize until I read your guys' reviews. I also think the clear light piping is a refreshing diversion from the usual, even if it doesn't give him a lot of character. Overall, I like him.

EDIT: Thanks again payres! My cement mixer does turn!
    I don't engage that clip in vehicle mode. I prefer the bucket platform to be level.

18. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    has anyone used stripmine as a targetmaster? I do and he leeks awsome! G1 Homage all the way!

19. spyderbytez

spyderbytez ALTERNATOR FANATIC TFW2005 Supporter

Thats not true... Metroplex has a real Alternate mode..

hes a "Bucket Wheel Excavator" - Google it! :D 

here a real pic of one:

[​IMG]

20. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    I know, but the core of his vehicle mode is mess. They could at least have tried to make it look like a perfect box on threads, but no, I looks like a robot sitting.