Cybertron Primus Value Predictions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FortressMaximus1976, Aug 27, 2007.

1. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I picked up Cybertron Primus today at Wal Mart, on sale for $48, originally $80.

Just wondering what you all think the value of this guy will be down the road, as I recently read an article about TF toys increasing in value, yes even those in the Cybertron and Energon waves, etc,,with a statement that even the movie isnt entirely responsible for this..although Im sure its worked in there somehow :eek: )

At any rate, I purchased him due to the discounted price, plus he just looks cool cuz he so BIG...but any predications on future value? Thanks

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    *looks at location*

... buh?

no way dude, he was 50 in the US.

the only version of primus I can see getting more valuable is the japanese one with the sexy box, or the primus with the unicron head. supreme class figures have the bad habit of dropping in value as years go on, not increasing.

3. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

What part of the world are you from? $80?!?!?!!!!!!
    In the states he's about $50. I guess you got a bargain, I suppose. State-side, I guess that would make him.....$30?.......

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Connecticut? It was $80 in Connecticut????!!!!!!!!!! My brain just exploded!

5. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

I havn't seen him for $80 anywhere. :eek: 

6. Izzo01

Izzo01 Well-Known Member

maybe your thinking of 20th Prime thats the only $80 transformer since the days of fortress maximus ... or maybe he was looking at Hobby store and then saw it at walmart. there's a local CB store here that's sell a reissue comm. Soundwave for $80 bucks so i can believe the gouging.

7. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

He was $80 in Canada.

In fact, that discounted price seems pretty Canadian as well.

I paid $80CDN for mine :( 

8. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    yea but his location says Connecticut

it's 50 retail here in the states..

I hope you at least enjoy the bloke!

Maybe someone drew a diagonal line through the 5 and made it look like 8 (i keeed i keeed)

9. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    seeing as Unicron hasn't really skyrocketed in price...I've seen at most $90 for him, and i think he retailed for what? $50...I'm not quite sure, I bought mines for $25-30 clearance...so maybe in say 5-10 years, maybe 200-250? not that much of an increase...though I'm sure once you get a job that pays well, I don't think the value of transformers will mean anything anymore...

10. Ecmagee1984

Ecmagee1984 Big E

Ebay:
    I got Cybertron Primus for 20.00

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i predict it will balloon to...a meeeeeelion dollars! /dr evil

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I really don't see the value on anything from recent lines going up in value very much.

Back when G1 first started, there wasn't all this speculation about prices increasing, there weren't hardcore collectors (well there may have been, but nothing like today). Back then, most people (I'd assume) bought their TFs and opened them. The reason vintage figures go for so much (particularly sealed ones) is the fact that most of them were opened, handled, played with, and thus not in the best of condition (or gone/destroyed). So the vintage figures that are in good condition (or MIB, or MISB) are going to be worth more, espescially since so few people (compared to how many bought product) kept them like that.

Nowadays you have tons of hardcore collectors that keep a MISB collection. Many more people keep things in the kind of condition you can only dream of getting old product in. Couple that with the vast amount of figures produced compared to the 80's (again, assuming this)....the demand isn't going to be near the same, the price is not going to be near the same.

13. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

*looks at OP's location*

....Wonder what part of the state you're in, because I paid $50 when it first came out....

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    bah I hate all of you that paid $20! I bought him at TRU for $60 when he first came out :(  and I couldn't find the Unicron head one so I had to go with the regular version :cry 

15. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    $80.00 in the US? Weird.

16. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

80 in canada.... stupid markup... I hate getting a TF in Canada for 80 that a friend in the US can score me for 50 even after conversion its still cheaper... but then ahhh... the real kick in the gonads... shipping... shipping is bullshit.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Primus is one of tose toys who'll stay pretty low in value for a few years, then climb a bit like Unicron has once he's been gone from the shelves for a while. At that size, Hasbro might go for redecos or repaints later on, but it is likely to be the only huge Primus ever to be released. One day he might even be rivalling the citybots in value, say 20 years from now, although if people by them to sit on them in the hope that this will happen, they're going to be disappointed. Still, it's not unrealistic to think that he might eventually go for as much as twice his original retail value.

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

For the first few years after release, sure. But try getting ahold of an Omega Supreme from Energon. Unicron seems to be a bit of a fluke because they over-estimated demand for him so much in the original production run. Normally larger toys drop in value until they're pretty well sold out from retail stores, then slowly increase for the next few years.

Yeah, you won't see something like Primus be worth much more than retail for about five years or so, but somewhere around 2012 to 2015 it probably won't be unheard of to see him going for seventy or eighty dollars US.

I doubt he'll ever reach double retail price though. Certainly not in the next twenty years.

19. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Primus was originally $120 or so Australian, but I remember a thread which made me think we weren't doing too badly compared to some other countries.

Anyway, larger figures take up too much room. Probably the value rise wouldn't worth the space he'd occupy the next 10 years or so.

20. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The rise in value would come from new collectors such as those who started because of the movie and will be willing to pay a lot for the "King of the autobots"...A few years from now, I'd probably pay maybe $150....as I can see this guy going for about that much....not anytime soon though..