Cybertron Override

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Grimlock_13, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fun figure, neat Alt. mode, for $10 its worth it.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like Override. Her alt mode looks right out of season 3 of G1. She'd look perfectly at home hanging out with Hot Rod, Kup, and Blurr.

The balance issue is a bit annoying. For the first time I can remember, I actually wish they still used die-cast to make Transformers. A good pair of metal feet would probably solve her tendency to tip over. If I had any sort of skill in any sort of sculpting, I'd be tempted to make a pair of metal feet, complete with glass headlights like the animation version.

Did anyone else notice some sloppy paintwork on their Override? Some of the silver on her left shoulder bled over onto the black, a tiny spot of red on her right leg got onto the white, and there's a single dot of gold on the top of her windshield. Nothing too bad, just mildly irksome. :( 

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

am i the only one that things the robot mode bears a slight resemblance to g1 jetfire? possibly.

i dont know what everyone is complaining about regarding making it stand, ive never had any problems, if its falling backward maybe take the gun off the back? or make sure the heel has been flipped out?

i agree the shoulders are a bit dodgy, but they're not that bad - and the auto -transform works really well on mine.

4. G.warrior

G.warrior Member

I just got mine today. She's really cool. No problems with her car mode either.

5. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to get her, but when I finally saw both her and Red Alert sitting on the shelves Friday afternoon, I broke down and bought them both. I regret it, just like I suspected I would.

In addition to the complaints about loose shoulders and poor balance (which I won't go on about because it's been pretty well covered by others), I noticed on close inspection of the car mode, there are too many hollow areas where parts don't sit flush. The car mode still looks cool from a distance, but on closer inspection looks kinda meh.

The auto-transform on mine seems to not release the arms correctly, meaning I usually have to flip the torso back up, move out the arms, and then move the torso back in, pretty much negating most of the point of the auto-transform. Maybe it's just mine that does it, but it's certainly something to watch out for.

I hate her "gun." It's just this enormous square thing that happens to have barrels if you flip them out with the key. She looks silly holding it but she won't balance if she's not holding it.

Overall, the toy is pretty good looking (other than the gun), but poorly engineered. I recommend only if you've got some extra money burning a hole in your pocket. For me, I can't help thinking that $10 I spent could have been better applied towards part of the funds for pre-ordering GF Soundwave or picking up Energon Scorponok or Megatron on clearance (I just got back into collecting with Cybertron after quitting during Armada and have been picking up figs from the last set on sale).

6. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I dunno about Cybertron but I got the GF and he/she stands perfect. The arms sometimes pop out and the gun suffers the inward slant.

7. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

:lol 
    I didn't follow GF so when I saw her on Cybertron I automatically thought it was Arcee. Sadly I was let down but I still liked the character and the alt mode looked a little like Arcee. So Gary bought it for me but after reading the reviews I'll keep it sealed. I like the alt mode better anyway.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I have no problems with my Override. She's awesome. Very nice alt mode. Gott love the trigger gun action with the force chip. Wish Override looked more like a girl. B+ on a solid figure.

9. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Shoulders flop around a lot, and 'her' back doesn't like to stay pegged together... but as a display piece, she looks cool enough.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Finally opened my Override. Have to say the figure is an extreme dissappointment. The knees are way too stiff, the feet provide almost no support for the figure, the shoulders were super floppy, the arms too short and the shoulders too broad. The vehicle mode looks good, but suffers from the peek-a-boo head syndrome plaguing most of this line.

Overall C-

11. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

I took one look at it in the packaging and decided no way.. it looks like crap in just the packaging.

12. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I picked up Override today. As my second Cybertron figure, s/he is pretty cool.

I have no problem with the fact that Override doesn't look feminine because as an avid viewer of Galaxy Force, I see the toy as Nitro Convoy.

Having finally seen the auto-transformation in action, I'm not only surprised how well it works (though one arm will get caught in the back section occasionally), but by the fact that the entire transformation isn't automatic.

As far as stability, I had some problems at first. Then I just bent Override at the waist about 2-4 degrees. With the heels out and the feet forward as far as they'll go, Override will stand even with the gun on his/her back, though a slight disturbance will knock him/her over.

I've only noticed two problems, but they aren't very significant. The back section doesn't peg together properly. If I had some clear nail polish, that might help make it a little more snug. Also, the arms swing forward a little too far, but that's probably because of the spring-loaded hinges.

I give Override a B. I like the toy, but part of me wishes I chose Red Alert. Then again, I want to get both eventually, so part of me would be wishing I chose Override if I got RA. :D 

13. pollux_prime77

pollux_prime77 Earth 2 Comics & Games!!!

I finally picked up Overide, I give it D+ It just feels like a KO. The plastic seems very cheep.

14. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Received Override yesterday, and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Vehicle mode is spectacular; if you absolutely despise the robot mode, leaving it as a speedster is a fine choice.

Robot mode suffers particularly from the stupid auto-transformation gimmick (which works surprisingly well, and is actually fun to fiddle with). All previously mentioned problems (broadness of shoulders/torso, shortness of arms) are a result of forcing the gimmick onto the figure. There are SEVERAL places where "fat" could have been trimmed from the figure to make it look far less badly proportioned, but these areas are all, you guessed it, where elements critical to the auto-TF reside.

I'd give Override a C+. Vehicle mode is stellar, auto-TF is novel and fun, but it really detracts from what would have been a nice robot mode. Oh, and the Force Chip/Cyber Key gimmick is also pretty lame, but nice in that it's unobtrusive.