Cybertron Optimus Prime - why??

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ruination04, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why does the monkey version have the Prime name and not the Primal name?? I haven't really watched Cybertron so I don't have a clue as to the storyline. Can anyone help? I am tempted to get him because he is Prime but I don't buy monkeys or Primals......just Primes. I don't know which side of the fence to be on!! LOL

2. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Did you read the back of the package? The explination would've been brilliant if they had used it in the cartoon for ALL the characters.

3. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No actually, I have just seen it on the shelf...I never have bothered to pick it up because I think, "meh it's a monkey." I will give it a look-see next time I see it! ;) 

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It was just another way for Hasbro to sell a 10th BW TF again. Never seen in the cartoon, Optimus Prime uses a Beast Planet Force Key and whamo, Monkey Prime. Anyway, in my collection this "Prime" is the leader of all the Primals. :D 

It does raise an interesting question as to what would happen to the other characters if they used the "wrong" key.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Get him. He's an amazing little figure. He can pull off some really impressive poses.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    technically, he shouldnt be Prime or Primal, he's an Apelinq homage. Similarly, the Beast Megs is an Armada Predacon homage

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The basic explanation for the Cybertron versions is Cyb. Op and Megs were temporarily mutated/adapted to the Beast Planet. Personally, I would've preferred they just made new Beast Planet characters out of them. While the Primal mold could be viewed as a new form for Cyb. Prime, I don't see much of one Megatron in the other Megatron. Probably just easier for the sake of trademarks and name recognition translating to sales.

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    And people wonder why Hasbro put those flip-up panels on Classics packaging.

Consumers can't be bothered picking things off pegs or shelves anymore if it doesn't immediately interest them.

9. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yea, and it's the same for the deluxe sized truck prime too, just to sell some more ugly armada toys. Somthing about him shrinking down on giant planet so he could navigate the tunnels better to gain the cyber planet key. Pure garbage though if you've seen the cartoon, none of that was done to get the key. Just more sales as Feralstorm has said above. :) 

10. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    THOSE types of people are the ones you'll see checking out all the ipods. :D 

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i still cant bring myself to buy munky prime :( 

except for his rm version.

12. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Optimus Primal's 10th and his Apelinq repaint in Cybertron are two of the greatest beast toys in my collection. I love 'em...

I was reading somewhere about a comic that explained his new body?

anyone know anything about this? said he found he was slowly dying from being exposed to unicron or some tripe... had to escape Unicron's taint.

Course I'd want to escape Unicron's taint too... :yuck  :eek: 

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was in the Club Comic so to speak. Well, it actually wasn't in the comic as BW 10th Primal only got a small blurb spoken of by Omega Prime, but they did have a bio in the following issue of the club comic that basically explained that he got his new body on Cybertron because all his dimension hopping and Unicron fighting caused him to become tainted by Unicron's essesence or some crap. And the reason he has a Cyber Planet Key is because he had the "ancient artifact" built into his hoover board when he went to a little trip into the Cybertron Universe and discovered the "Power of Ignition". Shame they never actually put any of that into the actual comic though.

14. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

why

Why do people constantly forget everything after Botcon, after we see something everyone forgets a month later.

The Monkey prime was originally designed as part of Cybertron, the story changed so they scrapped it for the line, then they decided to use it in the BW10, then they decided to repaint it for the Cybertron it was originally meant for, geez.

I love him, he is the only Primal I have ever had and is great I do not like the accessories though.

So if any one is interested in a big hover board lemme know.

15. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i still need to get this version (ape-linq) and the megatron (magmatron) to add to my cybertron collection...i just dont know where to display the actual 10th anniversary repaints...they dont go with my BW since i have the TRU megatron primal 2 pack....and they wont fit with cybertron either, since i will have ape-linq and magmatron....and since ive also got the RM versions of both, i just dont know where to put them...unless i rename them as well, and add them to cybertron....so, i dunno...they may just be off on their own somewhere...

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually display my BW 10th Primal and Megatron with my Classics figures... surprisingly they seem to fit right in design wise. As in, an updated version of the original that doesn't necessarily look exactly like it...

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this is a good figure, but don't let name symantics fool you- it's still a repaint of a Primal toy, so you have to decide if your bias against monkey primes is stronger then your need for new cybertron toys.

18. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

good question, i never even noticed..... nor cared much about munkyy prime

19. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually thats not what I have heard(and would tend to believe) and from what I understand, this is highly debated which way it goes. The other side of the coin is they were designed for BW 10th Ann. They were made with the Cyber Keys in case BW 10 bombed, that way they could still get money for the molds by shoehorning them into the Cybertron toyline.

Either way, both beasts are good molds, with megatron slightly edging Primal(sorry, the hoverboard doesnt thrill me in the least, as it makes a lousy, bulky weapon in bot mode.

20. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I do the same thing.

I was also confused by the Cybertron repaint being pegged as Prime instead of Primal. It seems unnecessarily confusing considering he's on shelves at the same time as no less than three other Cybertron Optimus Primes (the Armada repaint, the LOC one, and the Galaxy Force one), to say nothing of all the other Optimus Primes in other lines on the shelves. I feel bad for any parents looking for "Optimus Prime" on their kids Christmas list.