Cybertron on earth - no tidal waves nor earthquakes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by hound88, Jul 10, 2011.

1. hound88

hound88 Well-Known Member

Hey, Cybertron came to close to earth, not a gust of wind is detected in DOTM!

WOOOOWW!!!!!

We would have thought another big planet in earth's orbit would cause tectonic plates to shift and seas to rise... but no, just robots fighting.!

2. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wasn't all the way through, so of course it isn't going to fuck up the Earth. If it had gotten all the way through, shit would have hit the fan.

3. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    It's conceivable that until it's fully emerged it's mass is still 'in-transit'.

Of course, that doesn't stop the idea of transporting it and hoping the planet survives making sense, so I think a more likely explanation is that Kreuger didn't think about it that deeply.

4. Funnymerc

Funnymerc Well-Known Member

what he said, just watch the film for the film

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    No even if it was half transported as it was it's mass is still a LOOOOOOT bigger than the mass of Earth, I mean did you look at how big that monstrosity was?

It most definately would affect Earth, trust me I've done my graduation essay on black holes and the gravity of stellar stellar object so I know these things.

I just ignored it here. It's a silly Michael Bay action movie, physics flew out of the window a long time ago...

6. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^
    The idea of someone who understands physics whilst having a Gurren Lagann signature is amusing.

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Gurren Lagann is too manly to obey the laws of physics :D 

8. Funnymerc

Funnymerc Well-Known Member

its only a movie, no need to go on a rampage about the whole thing,what else is silly is that there are giant robots in the movie to

9. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:

The space bridge hadn't finished it's transportation. Although visibly in orbit, it could be that it's simply visible in both locations, and the actual physical particles are 'between space'. We don't know how space bridges work. So even if it 'looks' half transported, it's technically nowhere. Which would explain why when the spacebridge is destroyed it collapses - at that point it technically doesn't exist at all.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime flat-out stated that space bridge technology violated the laws of physics. Given that, it's not too much of a jump to assume that an object needs to be fully transported in order for it's mass to have any impact on surrounding objects.

11. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I think that the space bridge either works as opening a tunel thought space-time allowing the Cybetron to be pulled thought it, or it's deconstructing the particles and reconstrucking them on the way here, which would explain why it collaped on itself one the space bridge malfunctioned. Either way I think it would have affected Earth, but I'm still figuring out quantum physics myself so I can't be sure. Either way we're thinking waaaaaaay to deep into this.

12. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Far more than the film-makers, that's for sure. ;) 

13. omegamagnus

omegamagnus Well-Known Member

In G1 toon, Cybertron was a full bodied planet, rough the size of Saturn (that's written in "Transformers: More than meets the eye", the Dreamwave bible on TF universe); in Dark of the Moon, Cybertron looked like an orbital industrial plant, or a factory, just like some space ship building factories in Star Wars universe (although Star Wars orbital factories are needed 'cause it's very difficult build a Star Destroyer or a Mon Calamari cruiser on surface, then putting it in orbit). Point is, Cybertron's volume is really inferior to Earth's volume; maybe the mass was different, too.

14. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well given the consensus that what we saw in TF1 is the surface and lowest level the honeycomb structure is some orbital structure covering the planet akin to a orbital elevator.

Or Cybertron has different polar regions like Orbital Torus States in Dreamwave.

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I love how people have no trouble buying the teleportation of a planet, but that the line is drawn at no tidalwaves and earthquakes.

16. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    If two planets get as close as Earth and Cyberton have there would a lot more fucked up shit going on than just waves and warthquakes.

Like I said watch it as silly SCI FI movie. I had no problem the Gallifrey was teleported near Earth in Doctor Who nor do I have a problem now. Heck in Gurren Lagann giant robots throw planets at eachother and use glaxies as shurikens. Sometime science takes a back seat in big budget Hollywood movies. It's nothing new, I just learned to accept it.

Now once character development and plot takes a backset to explosions and CGI that's where I have a problem :) 

17. captain america

captain america Active Member

I wonder if maybe the fact that Cybertron only materialized (or at least 2/5 of it did) for only a few minutes in total had something to do with it? It's likely that there WERE effects felt on earth because of it, but they probably just didn't affect the vicinity of Chicago (the areas seen in the film) until a few hours later. That's my best uneducated guess.

18. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    That's the magic of movies for me. It defies the laws that govern our existence, and for a few hours, allows viewers to suspend their beliefs and go with their imagination.

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This.

20. KingStyle

KingStyle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes and the movie was about robots that talked and transformed. Whats the problem again?