Minor/Repaint: Cybertron Metroplex Arm-Axe

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Abrogate, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    This is my first real custom (I've done a few minor things like removing the paint from Fireburst Prime's eyes or switching the eyes of Classics Bee and CJ, nothing I'd consider a big deal), though my brother did a lot of the work. It was inspired by Hal7300, who was himself inspired by the great deliciouspeter.

Basically, I saw Metroplex with his axe attached to his elbow and thought that was a great idea and I'd have to do it myself, because I always found the axe a bit of a pain to securely peg into his hand; the damn thing's just too heavy for such a tiny peg. But, this was not a straight part-swap like I assumed. It required some dremmeling.

First, I took apart the elbow and I took apart the 2nd joint of the axe handle. For those who've never seen how a ratchet joint works, inside the white part of the elbow, you've got a wheel of blue teeth, and another wheel rotates around it, and a spring inside the elbow holds the tension in the joint. The handle has a larger blue wheel than what the elbow has, so I set the elbow's wheel aside. For this project, you keep the handle's wheel with itself and you keep the inner-wheel with the white part of the elbow. It's a bit of a clumsy fit, but the joint still ratchets.

Hal told me he did this project with just sandpaper, but I found that to be a bit of an uphill climb, so my brother borrowed a dremel from his job and he did most of the work on this. The handle is actually thicker than the elbow, so we stacked them on top of each other and filed a line into the handle to know how much to hack off. In addition to decreasing the width of the handle, we also had to sand down the actual outside arch of the handle, because it too is thicker than the elbow and thus wouldn't fit inside the white part.

After you get the thing sized down to where you want it, you screw everything back together, but it is very difficult to hold all the pieces in place, they have to be held very tightly to get the screws to actually reach and the parts to stay aligned inside. As for the vehicle mode, it's still the "not exactly a real thing" that he was before the mod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Awesome!!!!

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    Thats how it shoulda been done in the first place. Wonderful

4. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    SUPREME CLASS ARMADA BUZZSAW. :lol 

It's a neat mod. If I has an extra Metroplex I'd probably want to try it.

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work! Looks great!

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've always been a fan of this modification. I really like when I see artists inspiring others as well. As stated, this work is a result of that :) 

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    looks awesome... if I didn't used this as a base for scorponoce and wrecked 2 mega-saws I would've made double blade arms :D 

8. Hyre

Hyre Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    How's it look in alt mode?

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    :p