Minor/Repaint: Cybertron Metalhawk (wip)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Primevil, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I got around to painting this during the tail-end of Summer break but for whatever reason didn't get around to taking a picture until today.

[​IMG]

I used Krylon Fusion Patriotic Blue and Nickel Shimmer spray paints, which didn't obscure the details as much as I thought it would (I even wound up removing paint and spraying again when I added too much). I've found that the blue is almost as difficult to photograph as Alternators Shockblast's purple. Even without flash and just natural light (with overcast), it appears brighter than it really is. On a side note, Patriotic Blue seems to be close enough to G1 Dirge that I might use it for a Classics custom, assuming I ever get around to buying several Ramjets.

I'm planning on finishing this up in the next week, I just need to get some red and gold paints, as well as some sort of gray for the guns and engines. I'm pretty sure there's some red Testors lying around somewhere in the house, but I probably need to go out and buy some gold. I might use it as an excuse to try out Tamiya if they have a shade of gold that resembles Metalhawk's gold.

In the meantime, here's a color map of what the finished product will resemble since I haven't really learned how to digibash. And I still haven't decided what kind of paint apps to add in vehicle mode to break up the blue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice, picture looks like a seeker prime lol

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like him.

4. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats exactly what I was thinking.

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Can't wait to see him, Hawk is one of my favs. Wish I had one :p 

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Its about time! :p 

7. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I have an update on my progress. Yes, one is actually happening in a relatively timely manner, Redline. I like customizing, but I'm not as hardcore about it as most people.

For those "Seeker Prime" comments, yeah the red, blue, and silver may make him look a bit like Prime, but he's not Prime. He's better. :D  :p 

And Metalhawk is one of my favs too, ILoveDinobot, mostly for the design (I consider him one of the better Pretenders in and out of shell). The fact that I can't afford an original and his bottom-rung standing on the homage priority ladder is the reason why I'm making this.

No Tamiya for me. It turns out the closest retailer apparently just went out of business/is up for sale. So I decided to go with Testors, which we have in the house. Oddly enough, I had gold, but needed red. I figured it was the other way around. Oh well, it allowed me to pick Testors Dark Red over Red, which my sister (who went with me to Michaels) said looked too cartoony.

Again, I was trying to get the actual shade of the blue and red by not using the flash. It seems to have worked better than I expected, but my camera seems to make all my pictures blurry whenever I don't use the flash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm in the touch-up phase right now with the gold and dark red, which is just reaffirming my hate for gold paint. It feels like it always goes on too thin (which is also true of yellow paint) and winds up becoming thick and messy-looking once the surface is colored. Looking back, priming might have been a good idea.

I've made a few changes since the color map I posted in this thread in an effort to break up the blue in jet mode, mostly by adding gold, but I feel there still needs to be something else on the arms and inner legs/jet body. Incidentally, in the process of painting his legs, I realized that no Hasbro/Takara release of Cyb/GF Starscream has the pipes on his shins painted. Score one for original color layouts, I guess.

I'm not sure how noticeable it is, but I attempted (not done yet) to paint his eyes with Citadel Colours Ice Blue using a sewing pin. It's not easy. Speaking of which...

I've hit a slight snag with painting the cockpit guns and engines as my Citadel Colours Boltgun Metal has dried out. Now I'm afraid to look at the rest of my paints. But since I'm not in the mood to go out and buy any sort of paint for those spots, I think I'll dust off my Color Theory skills and mix some white and black that shouldn't have dried out yet.

More to come soon, probably end of the week.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Interesting, looking forward to the final product.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Actually LOC Sunstorm has those pipes painted. Its looking pretty nice so far. Will look better when you're finished touching it all up. I like the gold helmet.

10. RyakinX

RyakinX Well-Known Member

How dried out? Like a gelatinous cube or hard as a rock dried out. If its gelatinous cube you can resurrect Citadel Paints by adding some water to the pot, covering the closed pot with a paper towel and shaking like mad. the paper towel is necessary, because the Citadel pots weren't designed to hold just water and it will squirt out of the seems until it mixes with the paint and thickens up.

Hope this helps with the Gunmetal, oh and if you used citadel paints you might want to try out Vallejo Paints they are VERY similar to Citadel, but they are thinner, so you get a more even coat, without the headache of thinning down Citadel, and 220 colors helps too :)