Cybertron looked better in the first film

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jan 30, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The first film had only one scene of Cybertron, but there it looked really epic: a landscape of towering, transforming spires reaching out into space. I realize what was seen in DOTM was probably a different area of the planet, but it looked like something seen in the recent WAR FOR CYBERTRON videogame: a kind of geormetric sector filled with honeycomb arches, like a marketplace or courtyard. DOTM's Cybertron was good, but I expected something more epic and landscapy in the style of the first film, that's all.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never thought the towers were actually transforming, so much as that was the movie's way of showing Prime's reenactment coming into view.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Of course it looked better, it was in one piece and not imploded at all.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :lolol  OH SNAP!

5. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I actually rather liked them both.

6. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

looked better? ITS A PLANET RAVAGED BY WAR!!!!!

7. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DOTM's Cybertron was superior in every way. TF1 Cybertron looked like Hell, quite literally.

8. Megatron1

Megatron1 Decepticon LEADER

It was SUPPOSED to look like a planet ravaged by war. Because it was at the time. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be stranded with you humans.

9. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

*facepalm* this is not a roleplaying site......

10. Stockade187

Stockade187 Decepticon Junkie

Lmao dude does it in every thread haha. He must really be Megatron

11. Megatron1

But what about the part when I said "It's SUPPOSED to look like a ravaged war zone?"

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    You should make more posts like that and less like "HEY LOOK AT ME IM MEGATRON LOOK LOOK GUYS DID I MENTION IM MEGATRON HEY"

I actually was kind of disappointed by what little we saw of Cybertron in both films. I mean, yes, its a burned out cinder of a world, essentially, but I was expecting sprawling ruins and cratered landscapes and sad reminders of what ONCE was there, and we just got a couple dendritic towers and some metallic fields, mainly.

13. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah. I liked the way they made it look in DOTM. Especially in the concept art posted in the other thread.

14. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Fixed :p 

15. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Well, let's also not forget that the "flashback"/optical-illusion footage of Cybertron from the first film was from a completely unknown time period and/or location (as you said). Could've been anywhere or anywhen along Cybertron's path to destruction, so a little variation in appearance is forgivable.

And, honestly, I thought the metallic-yet-honeycombed structure of Cybertron in this film represents yet another stroke of GENIUS regarding general design schemes for these movies.

Given Cyberton's traditionally hi-tech landscape, it was a supremely awesome and inspired touch to ALSO imbue the planet a sense of the same techno-organic biology for which its known, instilled and suggested solely by the familiar, natural "honeycombed" and latticework structure with which it's presented in TF:D otM.

Especially considering what little we're able to infer about the Transformers from the previous films. While the Decepticons use the term "insect" quite derisively, it's obvious that Cybertronians themselves have insect-like qualities, too. Such as their "nests" (both for the hatchlings on the Nemesis and, more symbolically, the Autobots at *ahem* NEST HQ and Diego Garcia), the little "insecticon" Sam decapitates, the Doctor, the Driller, etc.

Also, interestingly, The Fallen refers to "citizens of the human hive."

Having seen the hints of their own insectoid reproduction in that same film I was already wondering if that was the inspiration for his "hive" frame of reference (perhaps more than their general "insect" insults for humanity, that is)...seeing that they live on a honeycombed, "beehive-esque" planet only helps continue that line of thought.

Strange that you should mention it seemed more like the Cybertron of the TF:WFC video game, though. I actually wished it had been WAAAAY more along those lines. I've never seen much of the actual gameplay but I have seen the (unbelievably awesome) cut-scenes on YouTube, and the Cybertron of this movie was seemingly completely devoid of the "transformable" landscape-articulation the game established so well. But, hell...we didn't even get any actual transformations AT ALL in the battle we see we see on Cybertron! (ONE turret and ONE missile...WTF?!?) If anything, the "transforming spires" of the first film seemed MUCH more in synch with what I've seen of TF:D otM's Cybertron.

Oh, well.

Just more stuff for the FOURTH film to expand upon, right?

:D 

THIS I agree with 10,000%.

The landscape seen there had spires stretching up like parts of TF:D otM's Cybertron also had a bit of in the distance, but if you look SUPER closely you'll notice there's also a lava-like liquid flowing there behind Megatron. It's theoretically not the magma of the planet's core or mantle (so close to the surface), so I've always liked to think of that as simply being a more war-torn part of Cybertron held by the Decepticons.

And one of the coolest contributions to the TF franchise ever made by the G1 comics, imho, was the concept of the Smelting Pool, which was basically an allegory representing an Auschwitz and/or Hell for Autobots overseen by the Decepticons, just like Megatron's first active, establishing shot in the movies was seemingly trying to depict. So awesome to hear them mention Smelting Pools on TF:p rime, too...can't wait for them to SHOW one!

And I also really like the detail of the Autobot corpses hanging upside down in pieces over the Smelting Pool in the first movie, while we're at it. VERY reminiscent of the scene from the original Marvel Comics run where Shockwave has all the Autobot corpses strung up on the ceiling of the Ark.

So, anyway, I like to think that's just a different part of Cybertron seen in the first movie.

Which would possibly be reminiscent of the original, classic view of Cybertron from the G1 comics and cartoon...with a surface level crust or shell in some parts but also deeper, internal chasms and tunnels and stuff exposed at other points around the planet, too.

I guess any parts which weren't honeycombed could simply have been on the OTHER side of Cybertron we never really got a look at.

Or some such.

16. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This.
    Everyone's opinion has a chance to be heard, I for one enjoyed the aesthetics behind both.

17. Megatron1

Agreed.

18. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honeycombs big yeah yeah yeah

19. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

I just think that the scene in movie 1 was the lowest level of Cybertron, and the honeycomb parts are up high in the sky and stretch out. Besides, it was very cloudy in the movie 1 scene so its possible.

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    They weren't small, no no no.

I can get behind the idea of Honeycomb for Cybertron's basic structure, but even then, we should have seen a shift in that architecture during the war. Stuff like towers bolted into the cells to allow for recon or tactical advantage, entire cells caved into themselves or burnt out because of war, cells that had been stripped or repurposed for resources, etc. etc. The landscape just didn't look, I don't know... "lived in"?