Cybertron/ Galaxy Force

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by masterjetfire, Apr 14, 2008.

1. masterjetfire

masterjetfire Well-Known Member

Okay I'm new here so i dont know if this was started or not, but, what do you guys think of the series, I like it, it was the very first series i evere seen when it came on cartoon network at 6:30 am.

Just tell me your thoughts on this series

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I actually LOVED galaxy force. I never saw cybertron because I heard that the voices were done with horrible accents, and I had already watched superlink subtitled, so gf was a no brainer. the speedia planet races got monotonous because they went on for so long, but otherwise I thought it was great.

3. masterjetfire

The race was awesome

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought Cybertron was more consistently watchable than Armada or Energon, and the English dub was pretty decent too, if you can get past the silly accents.

5. masterjetfire

true, but the episode when thunder blast or chromia was gonna nab the omega lock she actually says the .F. word

I think it was episode escape

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

7. masterjetfire

thank you for sharing that with us

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I seriously doubt this. censors would never, ever allow it. neither would hasbro.

9. masterjetfire

I heard it loud and clear

watch it if u want

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    What scene exactly?

Besides, Galaxy Force suffered from a lot of things:
    - The strict "52 episodes" pattern. Clearly the writers only had stories for about 20-25 episodes at best, so they dragged it out endlessly. Just how many episodes did that damn race alone last?
    - As a result of the episode number, budget issues. I think Galaxy Force was the Transformers series with the longest, most frequently repeated and most excessively uses stock animation sequences. GALAXY CONVOY TRANSFORM! GALAXY CONVOY SUPER MODE! FORCE CHIP, IGNITION! GALAXY CANNON FULL BLAST! GALAXY CONVOY! LIGERJACK! LINKUP! LIGER... CONVOY!" Every battle with Megatron/Galvatron (except for the final battle) was exactly the same. Both activate their Hyper Overkill WeaponsTM, charge towards each other their fists collide in mid-air, a giant explosion occurs that causes a lot of collateral damage, but barely injures the two combatants. *yawn*
    - Bad writing. I mean, Starscream was AWESOME when he took down the Cybetrrons single-handedly. And then he got the power of Primus, grew Really Big... and then he started hurling ROCKS through the air. He was MORE effective BEFORE he grew large. Yikes.
    - The whole "Planet X" plot was a convoluted mess, and the explanation totally didn't explain Sideways' previous actions. It felt like the whole plot was made up along the way.
    - Stereotypical characters. I mean, Chromia. WTF? Does Japan really think that a female robot MUST totally be a stereotypical chick?

The only saving grace of the show was the English dub, which spiced up things a little and made the excessive use of stock footage almost bearable.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    great toys, meh cartoon.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Drawn-out" would be the best of way of putting it, but the show still achieved a better level of overall, consistent quality than Armada and Energon did (the former stinking at the start and rocking later, and the latter being wretched throughout). It had some really good ideas (Starscream betrays Megatron... and it STAYS that way, and he's a third force for the remainder of the show!), it's handling of power-ups was much better than previous shows (new toys, not repaints... 'cept for Galvatron), and it was always surprisingly good with it's handling of a very large cast of characters - given that it had such a large cast active later in the series, you might have expected that a lot of guys would get lost in the shuffle, but no, generally speaking, you honestly did get a feel for the personalities of all the characters. Well, except maybe Brimstone and Undermine. I don't know what those guys were about.

However, the painfully strung-out Veolictron arc, and the hoplessly insufficient handling of the Planet X story put black marks on both the early and late parts of the series. The notion that they actually thought it would be a good idea to fill fifteen solid episodes with non-plot-advancing car races is... unfathomable. And the battle scenes were insufferably predictable - if they didn't end with Prime and Megatron unleashing their CYBAA KEEEE POWAAAAHs, then they'd finish with the two combatants lunging at each other, striking, and ending up with their backs facing each other, standing still until one of them collapsed. Urrgh. And there were WAY to many fucking ridiculous Dragonball Z moments where characters grit their teeth, went "hrrunnngh!", and suddenly they were surrounded by a glowing energy aura. You can really see where the dub is working hard to try and explain this utter fucking Japanese-born *nonsense*, quickly slipping pseudo-explanations in where it can. Take the second-to-last episode, where the engine on the Jungle Planet needs to be righted, and everyone goes HRUNNNGH and glows golden with BURNING HEART-O I MUST SUCCEED power because they just DO because that's all the explanation you need in Japan. In the dub, a quick line is slipped in about how they're drawing on the power of Primus that exists within all of them. That's *brilliant* - it makes sense, it explains the silly shit that's going on, it's completely in line with what the show's done previously about the power of Primus increasing a being's power, and it exemplifies the concept of unity that the whole scene is about.

The final few episodes, though, are *really* good - Vector Prime's sacrifice, the battle between Prime and Galvatron, and especially the fact that they gave the whole final episode over to a prolonged goodbye that really made it feel more like the end of a trilogy than just the end of a series, were all highly enjoyable. The dub was well-handled and actually competently produced, with dialogue that actually made sense that actors doing a bit more than phoning it in. Amazingly, you know, Transformers have actually had accents before. It's shocking, I know!

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    One thing that annoys me about these (in theory) jointly-developed shows was that it was largely 'written for Japan, by Japan, and screw those Americans'.

That's why you have people bowing to elders even though they're both A. Caucasian and B. in the United States. I believe Coby and Bud's house even have japanese-style doors on the ground floor. Why is there a japanese-style bathhouse or spa when the kids and Dr. Suzuki go to the North pole?

I think people dislike the dub accents because they're used to Canadian anime dubs constantly having the same actors deliver the same voices with the same general, no-regional-dialect-in-particular North American accent.

14. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

That's explained throughout Galaxy Force; surprised you needed a line inserted to figure that out.

Only thing that bugged me about it was what appeared at the very last credits; Vector Prime fighting with Starscream?

15. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    He was fighting Galvatron in some other dimension. Landmine and Mudflap confronted Starscream somewhere.

The construction crew with Leobreaker and Menasor encountered the mysterious Initial T.

16. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I only watched the North American version, so I can only comment on that, but I though it pretty good. Way better that Energon, but there were a few things that turned me off.

1. The accents- they weren't necessary and didn't make any sense. Why would a Robot need an accent? (Especially since many of the recurring characters didn't have them in previous shows. example Jetfire in Armada and Energon vs Aussie Jetfire in Cybertron)

2. Continuity errors- The North American Version was supposed to be all connected, but they clearly were not.

3. The stock footage was cool at first, but like Nermore said, it was a complete waste of time, over and over again.

I did like the new worlds and the characters that were introduced though. Giant plant was really cool IMO.

So for me it was the best of the Unicron Trilogy, but not great overall.

17. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    One might question why if accents were good enough for G1 and Beast Wars, why aren't they good enough for Cybertron.

18. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Well-Known Member

1) The animation sucks. No facial expressions whatsoever, Beast Wars (especially in Season 2 and 3) totaly ownz it.
    2) the ABOMINATION of making the transformers Power Rangers... wth is that powerlink concept?? common!! totaly took the fun out of combiners.
    3) did I mention the animation?

19. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something is required to explain it because it's atypical Japanese nonsense. Through the show, the only characters who do it are the "special" characters - Prime, Megatron, Starscream-post-Primus-infusion, planet leaders, characters touched by Planet Keys. Nothing is made of it. They just go "hrrunngh," and they are glowing - for no reason other than the fact that they are special, and they are powerful, and apparently bursting with glowing energy is the way that you show that. Because no reason is needed for that sort of thing in Japan. And then suddenly everyone does it at the end of the show, because it's an important, climactic moment. The dub is constantly trying to make this nonsense MEAN something, even if it's just to make it seem incredible and strange - take episode 32, where Override, Evac and Leobreaker need to get through the black hole. They all go "hrrrnrnhgg," and suddenly they're glowing and towing the Omega Lock along on streams of electricity. Megatron and Scourge proceed to do the same, while the other Decepticons can't. In Galaxy Force? This is all delightfully normal stuff. Nobody reacts to it. Because this is Japan, and you don't need to explain why characters are experiencing BURNING HEART I MUST SUCCEED power boosts. In Cybertron? The Autobots are amazed when it begins to occur, unable to understand the strange, fantastic thing that's happening to them, and Megatron and Scourge talk about summoning up all their power to duplicate the effect. You know - actually trying to justify the entire ridiculous thing.

20. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Clearly you don't have enough imagination. Japanese people do.