Cybertron Galaxy Force Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sonscreen, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not a big repaint fan but something about him just made me want to buy him. He's one of my favorite Optimus molds but still $40 for a repaint is a bit much. However it's still a pretty cool looking repaint. I really like the gold cyber key. The only thing that's annoying is the lack of paint apps in the exposed mouth area. It looks a bit strange. Oh well, I like him in super mode anyway.

[​IMG]

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    He looks pretty good, too bad he's missing a few paint apps, like the silver on the end of the knee cannons.

3. Jetblast

Jetblast Powered by Honda

I'm still deciding on whether to get this version or the original blue and red Optimus. I like the red and black color scheme, but the lack of paint apps on the face is really turning me off to it.

4. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I'm not buying him, but when I saw him in the store I immediately decided to always refer to him as Blactimus Prime. He's one bad motha- *Shut yo mouth*

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally like this guys paint deco over the origional one. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick this guy up when I have the money for him, which shouldn't be long. I do have one pic request. Can somone take a picture of the Matrix that came with this guy, and maybe a pic of it in a size comparison to Cy. Armorhide? Thanks to anybody who can help. Peace out.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Can't anybody help me with this? I'll take a comparison shot of Cy. Prime's Matrix with Armorhide, it doesn't have to be the repaints one. I'm thinking of making Armorhide into a Prime, and I need to know if the Matrix that comes with Cy. Prime is the right size or not. Thanks to anybody that can help me with this. Peace out.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You might have better luck asking for things like that in the Toyark in future, as it gets more traffic, and also it won't take a thread like this off topic. But, since I'm a nice guy, here's what you're after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The Matrix is ever so slightly too large for the cavity, but you could easily trim it to make a snug fit once you remodel the internal mechanism)

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks. I posted a new thread about this in the Toyark. I was hoping that Cybertron Prime's would be the right size, because my only other option is to get a hold of either just 20th Prime's Matrix, or get him and make a mold and cast a new one from his. I'll have to see what if any other options other than to scratch build one. Thanks for the help. Peace out.

9. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could also try the matrix that comes with re-issue galavtron.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Here is my thread on this topic- http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=114052 - so that it doesn't distract this threads topic. I thought about the one that came with him, and it could be the right size, but the only problem would be getting a hold of one easily and cheaply. Thanks for the suggestion. Peace out.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I prefer the tiny version over the large version.

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    GF Prime looks unfinished, almost like a test shot.

13. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know this is a pretty old thread, but I enjoy giving my thoughts regarding the Transformers I own, and the Galaxy Force version of Optimus Prime seems to lack an in-depth, in-topic review.

For the uninitiated, Galaxy Force Optimus Prime is a repaint of the Leader-class Optimus Prime from the Cybertron line. The most striking change is that all of the blue and grey on the main body of the figure has been changed to black. Some of the weapons (such as the hip blasters and some parts on the larger cannons) are now red instead of grey. Beyond this, the changes in color are minimal, and there are no changes to the actual mold itself.

The figure comes packaged in Optimus Prime's Super Robot mode, though you will need to attach the wings to the backpack/trailer assembly. Warning: these suckers are VERY difficult to snap into place. I actually had to file them down a little, because I was honestly afraid I'd snap them if I tried to force them in.

So since we're already in Super Robot Mode, let's start with this. Wow. Prime stands about a foot tall at his wings, and has some impressive wingspan on him. This is one of the most visually impressive Primes I've ever seen. He's solid as a rock, but he doesn't play like a rock. Articulation here is great. Legs can bend forward and back, and out at the hip. They can bend and turn at the knee. There's no real articulation in the feet though, at least nothing that matters. The head turns, arms move around and out at the shoulder (though only slightly), and bend and turn at the elbows. The fists cannot turn at the wrist, but the hands open and close nicely to grasp Prime's blaster, or the Autobot Matrix of Leadership. That's right, the Matrix of Leadership. Open up the chest panels and pull down the armor plating inside to reveal a small, simple Matrix. Careful not to lose it!.

But Prime doesn't rely on the Matrix alone. He's armed to the teeth. Two hip-mounted blasters, two massive back-mounted cannons (which can be slung under the arms or over the shoulders), and a hand-held blaster (which can be mounted on the right cannon if desired) with a firing missile. The right cannon houses two additional missiles, while the left can open up to form a powerful energy cannon. These weapons can be revealed by using a Cyber Key, but it's not hard to simply pull the missiles or the cannon hinges out manually (and it doesn't seem to hurt the figure any.) If you have batteries inside, you'll be treated to some light and sound functions.

Prime is beefy here, but he doesn't need to be. Fold down the faceplate and close the side crests on the head. Detaching the extra leg armor, folding the bottom of the feet onto the back of the legs, and removing the backpack puts Optimus in standard Robot Mode. He's a few inches shorter and not quite as imposing, but the Autobot leader still stands tall and proud. His trailer need not go to waste. With a few simple folds, it can be converted into a powerful turret platform for Optimus to use.

But what good is Optimus if he can't transform? Prime's transformation is delightfully easy. The chest actually forms the rear of the cab, while the arms and shoulders fold into the back to form the front. The legs provide the bed of the fire truck itself. Fold the head into the body, and you're done. Aside from looking kinda neat, the basic vehicle mode has no gimmicks or features of its own, however..

It can be linked up with the trailer to form the Super Vehicle Mode. Optimus is supposed to resemble some sort of fire truck here, but it's a bit of a stretch. It's more like a battle truck! The cannons have pretty free range of motion here, and the Cyber Key gimmicks still work, as do the lights and sounds. Folding the cannons down and to the side, and folding the wings out and down allows you to assume the "flying truck" mode. It's pretty lame, but it's there if you want it.

Whether you get the Galaxy Force or Cybertron version of Optimus Prime, you can't go wrong. This is easily one of the best Primes ever made, likely to be second only to the Masterpiece Prime itself. I got mine from the remarkable sale at KBtoys.com, but Prime sold out quickly. With Cybertron having ended some years ago, your best bet is to lurk on the Junkion section or hit up Ebay. If you have to get any modern-day, non-G1 Prime, be sure it's this one. Great articulation, accessories, fun alt modes, and an amazing sculpt make this a masterpiece in its own right.

14. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Truth.

Easily one of the best Primes ever made.

15. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

16. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I actually saw the 2 pack (this and Crumplezone) the other day. I'd have picked it up instantly if I didn't already have Crumplezone - as it is I'm weighing up going back for it later this week.

17. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine's from the 2-Pack as well, got me an extra Crumplezone as a result.

18. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Galaxy Force Cybertron Optimus + TRU Wingblade + Universe Lio Convoy + Target Lio Convoy = 'Huge crazyness'.

19. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: In singular robot mode Galaxy Convoy is somewhere between Voyager and Ultra class in size, being a big, powerful looking guy. He’s got the classic Convoy/Optimus look down pat, with a bit of Anime-style influence visible here and there. His articulation is quite good, though a tiny bit hampered by his beefiness. Detailing is good, no complaints here.

Now for the gimmicks and extras. As was already quickly becoming the norm ten years ago, Galaxy Convoy’s chest compartment opens up to show a chamber containing the Matrix of Leadership. It is removable, too, and he can take it in his hand. You can also display Convoy either with or without mouthplate, as a tiny lever on the back of his head slides it up or down (it’s really meant to be ‘no-plate’ for this mode and ‘with-plate’ for the supermode, but do as you wish here).

In terms of armaments Convoy has a gray gun that fires a blue projectile, which he can take in either hand. It’s a far cry from the black rifle of yore, but still looking good. Additionally he can convert his trailer into a kind of artillery module, giving him stationary firepower if he needs it. So bottom line for the robot mode: very nice, but only the beginning of the fun to be had with this figure.

Alternate Mode: For only the second time (the first being RID Optimus Prime) a Convoy/Optimus does not simply become a red truck, but a red fire truck. Optimus folds himself together into a tractor with a very long bed, while the trailer itself does his merry best to look like a fire truck trailer while still having two giant cannons up on top. Okay, the cannons are supposed to be a ladder and a water gun here. Just go with it, still more believable than a Lamborghini fire car, right? Anyway, the truck mode as a whole looks pretty good and while the fire truck aspect might be a bit thin, there are not traces of a robot to be found here, either, so a good job overall.

The fire truck can also assume a flying mode by flipping out the wings that form the sides. Galaxy Convoy actually used this mode numerous times in the TV series, so it’s not a fan made idea. Just don’t spend too many thoughts on the aerodynamics of this and just enjoy the fact that you have a flying truck here.

SUUUUUPAAAMOOODE: Almost every single Optimus Prime / Convoy in the Unicron trilogy series was built to combine with his trailer into a larger super robot, loudly shouting “Super Mode!” in the process. Galaxy Convoy is no different. The trailer section of his vehicle mode becomes a big winged rucksack for him, while his lower legs extend to make him taller, a mouth plate covers his lower face and little wings flip out from the sides of his head to complete the ensemble, which in my not as humble as it should be opinion is the best Trailer-based Supermode ever.

Galaxy Convoy retains his full articulation here, naturally, so no complaints here, and the big wings he now sports can be folded backward if he needs freedom of arm movement. The big cannons can either be positioned pointing up behind his wings, so they’re out of the way, or point forward under his arms for firepower. Each of the two big cannons contains a slot where Convoy can enter his force chip (or Cyberkey for the Hasbro variant). The left cannon opens up, while the right one unfolds two missile launchers from the sides. For additional firepower Convoy can also bring the two big cannons on his legs to bear, just swivel from forward from where they rest against his lower legs.

Again, the bottom line here is quite simple: best Optimus/Convoy Trailer-Supermode ever. Not sure it can ever be topped.

Combiner Modes: In the age-old tradition of Japanese robots Galaxy Convoy is, of course, capable of combining with other robots into bigger robots. There are two robots in the Galaxy Force / Cybertron line that can combine with him, Ligerjack/Leobreaker and Sonic Bomber/Wing Sabre. Starting with Ligerjack, Galaxy Convoy simply folds back one of his arms (left or right, both sides work) and replaces it with Ligerjack. The result is a Convoy with a truly monstrous arm, no hand to speak of (in the series a hand was formed from light), but two giant three-pronged claws. Convoy keeps his Supermode rucksack on, so it’s theoretically possible for him to bring his cannons to bear in this mode as well (though the big arm kind of gets in the way). Bottom line for this combination mode: pretty far out there, but looking good.

My favorite combination mode is with Sonic Bomber, though. SB replaces the Supermode rucksack here, his own chest plate becoming Convoy’s while the rest of him hangs off Convoy’s back. This gives Convoy wings, two Gatling cannons peeking over his shoulders, and he can use Sonic Bomber’s swords, of course. Oh, and lest I forget, the two missile launchers from SB’s wings go onto Convoy’s feet. Not sure that was necessary, but it doesn’t hurt, either. The result looks fabulous in my opinion, possibly the best winged Optimus/Convoy ever. The only slight downside here is that Sonic Convoy is a bit back-heavy here, but he has big enough feet that he can compensate. Oh, and if you want you can leave Sonic Bomber’s head folded up, so he’s looking out from behind Convoy’s own noggin’. So bottom line here: probably my favorite mode of this great toy.

Remarks: Galaxy Force marked a singular occasion for me, as it was the first and only time I ever watched a Transformers TV series in the Japanese version before seeing it again in the English language. Not that there really were that many differences between the two (what’s a sex change here or there, after all?), but it does mean that, to me, Galaxy Convoy is his own character instead of being the latest upgraded version of the same Optimus Prime we’ve seen in Armada and Energon. And yes, I know that Galaxy Force was later retroactively inserted into the Japanese version of the Unicron Trilogy, but when it came out it was meant to be a stand-alone series and to me it still is.

As far as the toy goes, Galaxy Convoy is, to me, one of the most fun and playable toys of all time. There are better Optimus Prime robots, there are better combining robots, there are better truck robots, but there is not a single toy that so nicely combines a great robot mode with great combination fun, cool supermode, and overall great playability. So unless you’re absolutely not a fan of Optimus Prime figures or have no soul or sense of fun in general, this toy is fully recommended to you.

Rating: A

You own this figure? Rate it on TFU!

20. onslaught314

onslaught314 Saxobot

News Credits:
    Very random to see this thread revived.

But I'm glad it was. This is such a fantastic OP figure. Looks great, feels very heavy and chunky, but still articulated enough to look good. And the super mode just oozes with awesomeness. The only complaint I have with Cybertron OP is that there are no arm extensions for super mode. Aside from that, I love this mold. Fingers crossed they bring it back for some obscure repaint in the Generations line or something.