Cybertron Excellion

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by rherk, Mar 28, 2006.

1. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
  2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's so beautiful. :cry  I want one!

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    seconded!

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Meh to Excellion. At the very least, he wasn't worth the premium I got mine for, and I might reconsider him when he's on the shelves en masse, but for now I'm kinda glad mine will be leaving.

I don't really have any problem with the colors or paint apps at all (aside from the different shade of red on windows... Hasbro really ought to find a solution for that constant problem). It's moreso the simplicity of the mold itself that gets to me, and the wobbly backpack that just hangs off him. The arms are unusual as well, looking out of proportion and displaying odd choices in articulation.

Still, he is worth it for the colors, just not really above retail IMO unless you're into the homage.

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Found him today. He rules.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Looks like one of the few TF's coming out this year that I'm actually interested in.

7. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Having not experienced the Hot Shot mold before now, I must agree with you. Didn't G1 Hot Rod have some bit in his backpack that ensured that it clicked into place?

The arms don't bother me much, but the hips kinda bug me. The crotchplate only lets the legs swing outward, rather than forward, so that limits his posing options.

Despite all that though, he's a nice update to the G1 Hot Rod design :thumbs2: 

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i'm actually meh on the mold (despite the cool alt mode) but the colors and bio make him pretty snazzy.

9. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Picked him up yesterday.

So uh...anybody want to buy my blue Hot Shot? :p  Between the superior Excellion and CD Hot Shot, he's completely superfluous to me now.

10. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Having had the original Hot Rod (then losing him and having to pick up the re-issue), I can tell you no. Hot Rod had nothing special to hold the back kibble in place. You just lined it up and it had enough friction to keep it that way.

Having just gotten Excellion today, I can tell you that this figure does things pretty much exactly the same way.

It's not exactly the perfect Hot Rod update (translucent blue wings instead of yellow, gun pipes inside arm cowling instead on exterior), but it's damn good. Coming from someone who's picky about which TFs he buys, I consider Excellion a good buy.

EDIT: That second semi-paragraph of mine is wrong. I'm leaving it there so people will see the reason for the edit. Excellion does in fact have a tab and slot to hold the backpack in proper alignment. I missed it until I flipped up the driver compartment and examined the rotating post closely. If the backpack is floppy on your Excellion there is most likely a problem with that tab system and you should do an examination. If you can see something wrong and purchased it from a store, take the usual return measures.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do I want this??? Really??? It would violate my NO REPAINT rule... And if I got it, I'd be inclined to swap the gun and wings with GF Exillion...

Do I??? Hmmm...

But first of all I got to FIND the little bastard...:banghead: 

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm in love with this bot! Good buy, nothing breaks off when you transform him either! Wonderful homeage! Just love it!!

13. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I investigated this a little further, and you're right, there's that tiny bit of plastic that theoretically should keep the backpack in place, but it's not.

I'm not sure if returning the figure would do any good though. It's not an assembly error, just that after rotating the piece so many times, it loosens enough that the two pieces can't make contact. All you can do is lift the cockpit up, and push the post back down.

I might try removing the backpack and coating the post with nail polish, hoping that friction will keep the thing in place better.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

i got him yesterday...other then the painted red not matching the plastic red at all...he is pretty cool.

15. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Found him today and he is gorgeous! Amazing what a new paint-job can do for a mold I was beginning to forget about. Love the homage.:thumb  I like him so much I made a lil' picture with him:

[​IMG]
    :) 

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Holy crap, Cataclism. While I don't think the picture is characteristic of Hot Rod... it's still freakin' awesome.

Personally, I plan to grab this guy if I see him and swap the bluish wings on him for Hot Shot's yellow wings.

17. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was trying to show Excellion leading a group of soldiers forward through the flames of battle. :) 

18. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I love Excellion. I already really liked this mold before, but the Hot Rod-themed colors just blow poor Hot Shot away (well, so does CDF Hot Shot, for that matter). I don't really care that much about the door colors not quite matching the plastic--yes, they should fix it on future releases, but it's a $10 toy, not a $4000 statue.

As for the poseability issues, well, they didn't bother me before, and they don't bother me now. It's still not that hard to come up with good poses with Excellion.

Now I'm just tempted to pick up one of those Target 2-packs, just to give Excellion yellow wings.... :D 

19. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Thoughts (also at the review page linked below)

Pics:

Excellion: http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act402/
    DVD Exillion: http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act399/
    Red Exillion: http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act368/ (someone tell me the difference between these 2 ?)
    Exillion (Hot Shot): http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act292/

Excellion is the long awaited Hot Rod redeco of the Cybertron Hot Shot car which I reviewed the Galaxy Force version of at http://uk.geocities.com/philip_ayres@btopenworld.com/GFESSVP.html . This then got recoloured for the DVD release of V1 of Galaxy Force and was on the more vertical side of expensive. A similar but non identical version was then solicited for Cybertron which we have here. Hot Shot was also redeco'ed for both Armada and Energon, and Armada went down the Hot Rod route too.

A quick guide to repainting the toy - the blue is now red, the red is now orange, the dark blue is grey and the orange clear plastic is now blue. The red is a bit of a problem - for a start the paint on the doors and the roof is a much brighter red than that of the cast red plastic parts. Said plastic parts are an almost peachy salmon colour in places.... (goes and fetches Energon Rodimus) Right Rodimus' red is darker. There's not much in it but the difference is enough that it just doesn't look right on Excellion. The clear blue plastic works fine on the windows and weapon, however same plastic is used for the little pop out wings what emerge when you insert the force chip. Here it falls down as these need to be yellow. A simple paint job would have fixed this, and indeed the plastic in the headlights has been painted silver, and there are gold flame details added on the bonnet next to them.

To TF - pull back on the legs and flip the feet down. Pull out on the doors. Pull the windscreen up and turn the entire windscreen and top rear section through 180 degrees. Pull down on the doors - now the forearms - to separate the bonnet in 2, and turn the head.

The robot mode shows a lot more of the orange than was visible before which is good. On the downside the chest is mainly grey - perhaps a red paint application would have helped to reinforce the Hot Rod likeness here. There's some orange - which you can now see is slightly duller than that used for E Rodimus, gold and silver paint apps visible on the chest, and the inner panels on the front of the shoulders are painted silver - when they were red on Hot Shot, though unfortunately the paint doesn't extend over onto the body sections of the shoulders leaving a defined panel over 2 pieces only half painted. Like E Rodimus he has a painted crest on his head, only this time it's gold which contrasts well with the grey of the head and the silver of the face plate. The orange mass of the backpack is a little distracting behind the head, as are the blue fins - something inside you says that both aught to be yellow. As for articulation - obviously the same as Hot Shot - knees that bend backward, ball jointed hips, a neck, shoulders that move back and forth and shrug (due to the TF), and ball jointed elbows. Hands have a standard size hole which can hold the likes of the minicon weapons.

Overall: Well this is a repaint where we know what it aught to look like. And it just misses that mark in several places. Excellent toy still, and good repaint, but just not quite there in such a small way that it's quite annoying !

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Good looking toy, not good looking enough to buy since I already have the show-accurate deco.

*goes back to reenacting Speedia Cup races on his couch*