Cybertron Episode Discussion - Critical

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Forgive me if someone already made this topic but since this aired last night and I don't see anyone talking about it...

It's great to have Cybertron back. I know some people got to download this episode early, but for those who got to see it for the first time like me, I am really liking this show!

Spoilers follow

Poor Hot Shot, Red Alert, and Scattershot. I know they weren't going to die, but those scenes were still pretty emotional. Good voice acting from all of them, but Brian Dobson in particular. It must have been so much fun to play a "death" scene. I always love shows that afirm the never give up message. It may be sound simplistic, but it's a message I don't think people take to heart as much as they should in this cynical world and it's a good one for kids to hear. And of course it makes the CDT payback at Megatron all the sweeter.

Gary's voice acting skills continue to impress me. While he will always be Primal in my mind, I've had a hard time accepting him as Prime. Something just didn't seem right in Armada and Energon (a lot of it were the scripts I'm sure). But Cybertron is the first series where I can really see Gary as Prime. For the first time his Op feels in the mold of Cullen yet with Gary's own unique touch. It's hard to explain, but during this eps Op/Megs battle I was having flashbacks to not just some of the great BW Op/Megs battles but moments like where Op is yelling at Megs when he leaves on the shuttle in MTMTE when Megs was about the go through the warp gate.

The battles are exciting, unlike Energon which never really gave us many good long one on one battle sequences, this series keep up the excitement. I really care about what happens to the characters, and enjoy seeing new Cyber key powers being revealed. It not just "new gimick time" although Op's savage claw mode does get boring after the upteenth time.

I liked Thunderblast taunting the navy. It's little scenes like that that add some character and fun to an episode.

So next week we get more CDT vs. Megs and Op and crew going after Screamer (who is great btw, back to his devious self after being a zombie in Energon). I know we still have a long way to go, but I really like this show. I only pray it doesn't "do an Energon" and fall apart in the last ten episodes. But so far this show is much better. Now if only CN can keep it on Saturday night for the rest of the season. Only 28 more eps to go. Do you think CN can last that long before pulling it into crack of dawn reruns again?

2. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

This episode was the corniest yet. I wish TV had an option to watch the Japanese version with subtutles, because Dubbed sucks moon pies. I'm starting to hate Bud, Koby, and Lori....and I LOVE Bud, Koby, and Lori! :thumbdown 

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    as I said on a different critical thread here yesterday I love when Red Alert said "Say hello to my little friend" they made him say it so weird but it so CUTE! also I like the whole dying scene, almost shed a tear.

As for Gary I love his voice, I agree I think of him as Primal and can't really see him as prime, but damn I LOVE that voice!

I like this episode Cybertron is really growing on me alot! also I don't think of it as a continuaty to the other series especially because I chose not to watch them after seeing one episode. lol

4. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

As a aspiring voice actor myself I have a great respect and admiration for the North American cast. I can completely understand how someone can prefer the Japanese cast, but please people don't bash the English one. The English cast works just as hard at their craft as the Japanese one and they are just talented as anyone who has had a chance to see some of them in person at BotCon knows.

Sorry about the rant. I know everyone has their prsonal preference and that's fine. I don't want to start a subbed vs. dubbed arguement. I just want to give the English cast a little love.

Oh, and I loved the "Say hello to my little friend" line too.

5. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    http://tvnihon.com/

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I loved the additional dialogue in Prime and Leobreaker's stock combination footage. It added some nice character moments and made the scene less boring and repetitive.

7. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pok├ęcon

I felt bad for Hotshot when he couldn't see. Sure he got better, but an war injury like that is a pretty realisitc one, regardless if the victim is a giant robot.

Also, nice to see Scattershot characterized as a pessimist according to his tech specs, something he hasn't really been shown as being much of, from what I remember.

On the downsides, I know it's been complained about over and over, but man, those kids. It's not so much that they were annoying in this one, but that actual military engineers seemed less competant than a kid with a socket wrench.

And Optimus Prime's quickchange transformation was real lame. At least when Beast Machines had morphing it was an intentional artistic choice. This just looked cheap. It's either a minute long transformration sequance or a blink-of-the-eye morph, no happy medium.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I enjoyed this Cybertron episode as well. I'll be interested to see the Japanese subtitles some day to compare the differences. (I'll wait for the DVD set). I think the English cast did a great performance. :thumbs2: 

9. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I've seen this episode a while back when Dark Prime first encoded the Canadian version.
    This episode was, well, a little different, but then again transition episodes usually are.

Just wait until you see Dark Crumplezone in episode 34.

10. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Normally I approve of the added dialogue during the stock footage and other times when there was obviously no talking in GF, but I think the part where the three got their new bodies had the big dramatic moment spoiled by the talking.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Am I the only one who wants to see camoflage repaints of the Cyber Defense Team based on the earth military vehicles they scanned?

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ummm. No, you're not.

13. Hot-Shot!!!

Hot-Shot!!! Transform and rise up!

Ebay:
    as usual I liked this episode but it does have a few downers

-for the first time ever, I was annoyed at the savage calw mode sequence o_O ...oh wait..it was because they wouldn't shut up...I undertsand it helps spice things up but the thought of the bad guys sitting and watching all of this makes it kinda lame
    -also, there really shouldn't have been any talking during the reformatting...made it seem as if they were controlling it with just chepened the whole scene

but...on the good side CDHS and CHSS's transformation sequnces=ultimate pwnage
    Scattorshot looks way better and I loved his cyber key footage!

"say 'ello to my l'il friend!" XDDDDD

Lugnutz=hippie XD