Minor/Repaint: Cybertron Drift

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lucs, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Here's my latest custom. As soon as I saw the new IDW character Drift I was super excited to see him in action, plus they claim that Hasbro is going to make a toy out of him, awesome! I've always liked the Cybertron Hot Shot mold and this was my chance to stick him in my classics line as a G1ish character since he's in the G1 IDWverse.

I used testers and citadel acrylics. He's made from Hot Shot's red limbs and Breakdown's body. After taking pics I can see there's some touching up to do and I'm still trying to figure out what weapons to give him. I have shot of him with some swords from a power ranger set I bought for the swords and the other shot is him with Energon Starscream's gun and sword. Let me know what you think

[att]19144[/att]
    [att]19145[/att]
    [att]19146[/att]
    [att]19147[/att]
    [att]19148[/att]
    [att]19149[/att]
    [att]19150[/att]
    [att]19151[/att]
    [att]19152[/att]
    Here's one with my custom Frenzy with an Energon combiner jet's head
    [att]19153[/att]

Attached Files:

2. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

looks cool.

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks good, if the hasbro version comes out looking half as good as this repaint then it'll be a buy.

4. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

one word for ya SWEET

5. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Very slick.
    I've always like this mold, one of the VERY VERY FEW from the Cybertron line I could stand to own.

6. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    That's really nicely done. The head sculpt is a great match for Drift.

7. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Dude, I like. The color layout in alt mode is very slick!

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very impressed with the painting. No smudges or clumps at all. Nice job

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Very cool work Lucs, I like them both :thumb 

That Scion in the background is pretty cool looking too

10. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Sweet! I'm really diggin' on Starscream's big a$$ sword for him! Looks like he's ready to joust!:thumbs2: 

11. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I don't really know about the character, Drift. I should research about him soon..but as this custom goes it looks wicked. I think I like both katanas and the energon SS sword/blaster the best, they go really well together. So awesome job on it, Lucs.

12. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Very nicely done! Great paint job especially! White is hard to do so nicely.

13. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this is the first radicon for Drift. Very cool, you did an impressive job!

Needs more swords though... :p 

14. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

really nice job on this piece. i dig it

15. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Good repaint, shame the character's so lame.

Good job getting rid of all the "ricer car" elements from his deco, that definitely earns you a plus. Especially ditching that stupid "writing his own name in katakana on his car doors" bit.

I'm happy to see that "shoulder" mod to give his arms more outwards range look so good in car mode. Now if I ever decide to make a custom out of the Hot Shot mold, I can safely dremel away without worrying how this will affect his car mode. Thanks.

16. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    First of all, thanks to everyone for their comments. I really appreciate hearing back from you guys and I'm glad most of you like it so far :D 

Thanks man! I love these types of comments

That's what I thought. I've always like this type of head so I was pretty excited to see it used for Drift

I'm glad you like my Frenzy too, not really sure he deserves his own thread since all I did was swap out his head. Oh and that Scion was just a prize for something, don't go getting any ideas

Yeah he looks like he could to some crazy damage with the sword on top of the car like that kinda like street racing meets Speed Racer

Yeah I think I'm gonna try to find a way to get the katanas to mount to his waist or thighs

Sorry to disappoint but the car started off white with blue strips I just painted over the blue with red

Yeah I think this is one of my more original ideas. I'm not that into being super original but it's kind of cool to be the first to make one, that I know of anyway.

I'd really like to wait to pass judgement on this guy before we see his personality and see him in action. Just cuz he's a "ricer car" doesn't make him lame to me. I mean it may very well fit the story he's gonna be a part of. Honestly I've never been a fan of tons of decals, seems kind of like free advertising or showing off but I still like Alt Smokscreen and Decepticharge the way they are

17. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Very awesome redeco, its clean and u couldn't have picked a better mold. Is it just me or is the red, white, and black color scheme losing its appeal?

18. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    man great job.

19. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Cool, katana holsters...clever I would like to see that.

20. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Smokescreen and Decepticharge aren't "ricer cars". They're professional racing cars with sponsorship labels. Drift, on the other hand, has just a few labels and an atrociously ugly "rising sun" deco complete with the Japanese flag on either side of his giant ricer spoiler... and his freakin' name written in Japanese characters on his car mode doors. Oi.

I would've given him a chance, but IDW's been showing him off so much and telling so many things that make alarm bells go off in my head... First he's introduced at SDCC complete with swords, I see the robot mode and think "Cool design, but swords? Isn't that a bit overplayed, all things considered?". I see the car mode and I think "JESUS TAP-DANCING ON A TAR PIT CHRIST what the hell did that poor Silvia ever do to you???". Then come the interviews. McCarthy calls him a "heavy hitter". That smells of overpowered fan character. Ryall considers him like Wolverine. That makes it sound like not only will they force him to be super-awesome, but they'll force him down our throats whether we like him or not (and really, they are, seeing how they're already working on Spotlight: Drift). McCarthy says Drift isn't necessary to the stories he's writing, which makes it seem more like he's doing it just for the purpose of showing off his super-awesome-badass fancharacter than any narrative purpose (like the ones filled out by Jhiaxus, Straxus, Impactor, Emirate Xaaron, Scrounge, and all those hi-then-die characters we've enjoyed during the Marvel and Marvel UK runs). McCarthy starts aping Bruce Lee quotes to describe his personality, I'm just thinking "Aw crap...". And finally, thus far it seems like McCarthy will make it a point that even when he isn't the focus of a scene, Drift will still be the best. When Mirage revealed himself as Jazz's hidden sentry in AHM #5... Drift was the only one not surprised in the least. He knew Mirage was there.
    All this coupled with the fact that Drift just reeks of "Weeaboo fancreation" makes me very critical of the character.
    Now if I'm proven wrong, believe me I'll admit it. But considering how much of a bore All Hail Megatron is turning out to be (almost halfways into the book and nothing has happened), I have little doubt.

But as I've said... that doesn't take away from the greatness of your custom. The mere fact that you got rid of everything I hated about the deco makes you a pretty spiffy guy in my book. :thumbs2: