Cybertron Downshift

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gears, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahh Cybertron Downshift. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Your alt mode: A fabulous looking green muscle car. Silver and black racing stripes on the side, black hood and black textured roof. Yes you read right. The roof is textured, and it looks great-- I think this may be a first for a transformer. Downshift sports a pair of "heavy magnum force blasters w/ firing projectiles" that can be mounted to the sides of the car in attack mode. The cyber key activates a "sneak attack capture claw" from the front grill. The gimmick is kind of neat, and I myself imagine the claw as a sort of hidden laser weapon by the way it's sculpted in the center.

Your bot mode: The transformation is quite fun and fairly unique for a deluxe. Everything moves smoothly, not really that hard to do at all. The head pops up from the hood and even the trademark "wheeljack ears" pop out from the sides of the head after it is raised. I thought this was a really nice touch. There is a downside however: the head doesn't raise high enough to allow the range of turning that it could have been given. Thusly Wheeljack, er I mean Downshift can only slightly turn his head. The force blasters can be either used in his hands, or can be clipped to his shoulders, akin to the way G1 Wheeljack had his shoulder blasters mounted. I thought this again was a great homage to the original G1 character. The robot is very well articulated with hips, knees, elbows...aside from the head's blocked movements I really love his posability. The claw can still pop from his chest using the cyber key, but like I said I prefer to think of it as a claw / secret blaster. :)  The robot mode looks mean, rugged and he definitely means business on the battlefield. It's just such an all around solid toy.

All things considered, Downshift is pure love from Hasbro/ Takara and he gets my highest recommendation! :thumb 

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

NorCal---> :Gouki:  <---SoCal

3. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

4. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got one yesterday... great figure... just fantastic. But I have one QC issue... he has two right legs. That's right, his left leg is a turned around right leg which means that only his right leg can bend at the knee... very frustrating.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 
    :cry  :cry  :cry 

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

Good review. Man I cant wait to get my hands on this guy, will probably have to wait a wile though as he makes his way North :( 

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    AND east :mad 

Andy

8. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Ohh the ear thing popping out sounds fun, *imagins happening in transformation sequence* coooolllll

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Just found him in WalMart in PA. We just upgraded to a SuperWM yesterday, which may be why he arrived so fast.

A very sweet vehicle mode, and a decent robot mode, hampered by shouder articulation. Not nearly as good as Crosswise, but still very solid.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    :lol :lol :lol 

I can't wait to find Downshift...it'll probably be another week or two for it to make it here though unfortunately:( 

11. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

DO the shoulders rotate where they attach to the torso, cause the pictures seem to indicate that they dont. So, any info there would be appreciated.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

They do rotate at the shoulder. What the arm's are missing is lateral swivel.

13. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Man, I really want this guy. I love his alt mode. It is right up there with Crosswise's alt mode, if you ask me.

Can't wait till he arrives in Texas!

14. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

He's a great mold that shines through that nasty green.

15. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Err..Runamuck...he's already hit Texas. One of the first sightings. In fact the first iirc.

16. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Well, the North Dallas area(Frisco, Plano, etc.), to be more specific. :D 

17. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Huh. Now that you mention it, maybe I should wait and see if Hasbro does a repaint of him before buying it.

18. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A repaint of him in G1 Wheeljack colors would kick MAJOR arse!

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Found it today and I gotta say I'm a fan. The green doesn't look bad in person, in fact I really like it, the amber translucent plastic, the silver and the black color scheme. The vehicle mode is SWEET. Totally unique. I love it...total A+ from that aspect.

The only thing keeping it from having an overall A+ is the lack of head rotation and lateral arm movement. The arms are very easily forgivable, but the head would have been extremely simple to engineer.

Still, that leaves the overall grade as a B+ GREAT toy, one of the very best Cybertron has to offer.

*edit: I forgot to add that the folding down key port has got to be the COOLEST feature I've seen in Cybertron thus far.*

20. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    I'll start off by saying I've really been looking forward to this guy since the first pics. He's everything I could have hoped for. Awesome vehicle mode, great G1 homage, intuitive transformation, only the limited range of motion on head and arms go in the negative column. I love the fact that his key gimmick can be hidden away. Nice touch. I hope they repaint this mold as much as possible. I'll buy them all, it's that good. He's a toss-up with Crosswise IMO, he'd be above him if he had arm swivels. Awesome deluxe. Get him if you see him.