Customs: Cybertron Downshift waist fix!!!!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    RW just pointed me to this thanks to you DC :D  thanks! I noticed they mentioned the head mod, and outta curiosity searched the site (I don't go there really) and found they had posted a link to my thread here with credit... I was surprised at how cool that felt :lol  I'm doing this waist mod tomorrow! wooot!

Andy

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I'm not as cool over there as I am here...

4. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Cool. First the head fix via RL and now a waist mod. Downshift truelly is a small Alternator.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I was able to do it without taking the pin out. All it took was a bit of twisting once I got the center screw out. I also didn't sand down the center clipping bits, I just left the screw a tad bit loose.

Overall I'd say its not really much of a difference since his legs were pretty damn poseable to begin with. Now only if I could get a set of headlights to fix mine.

6. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Just did the mod and it looks great. However, I poped out the legs from their balljoint sockets just so I would have more room to work with and upon snapping the legs back in, the joints are really loose now.

The plastic is so soft that it widened the socket to the point where the legs are floppy. Bah. Nothing a little epoxy can't fix :D 

7. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I just did the mod... I must say that its probably a good idea to keep that screw tightened for support, if you just loosen the screw instead of shaving down those notches, then lower half has no contact with the upperhalf of the body sans that screw which means you'll either warp the screw or wallow-out the hole since the plastic is so soft.

Hook, I did the same thing, same results, I've got Downshift upside down drying as we speak. sucks that I can't enjoy the fruits of my labors till tomorrow :lol 

Andy

8. Hook

Facebook:
    Actually, I just found out the problem once I put back the legs and transformed him back in vehicle mode; the balljoints actually go in much deeper than you'd expect. The initial snap makes you think that the legs are popped back in and seem very loose, but getting him back in alt mode made me realize that I didn't push hard enough on the hip balljoints.

I only applied a light coat of epoxy, so it's already dry. Now the hip joints are *really* stiff, which isn't a bad thing :lol 

Damn I love this mold.

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    hmm.. you're right :redface2:  oh well, they're not LOOSE :lol  the only thing this guy is missing now is arm rotation.. which is pretty damned awesome considering both modes look like they do and its a mainline TF!!

Andy

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Since I've done so much moding to this guy I got brave and broke out my silver paintpen for some highlights... I got a tiny lil bit on the green when I did the mirrors... damnit. he looks really sweet otherwise.

Andy

11. Hook

Facebook:
    Heeeey... The almighty silver pen. I might try that!

What about that chrome foil Cheebs used on his Downshift? Where can I get that?

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Just google chrome foil, you'll get the company that makes it within the first 5 hits... its a tad expensive, but the sweet thing is you can get it in about 10+ colors.

Andy

13. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    I believe it is called bare-metal.com. Also the link on the first page for the waist mod isn't working.

14. REDLINE

News Credits:
    that's because the allspark is in transition thanks to all the hackings they've gone through recently.

15. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I'm interested in doing the mod myself.
    Since the thread it was in over at allspark is down for the time being, could someone familiar with it please explain how it is done, so I can try it on mine?
    Thanks!