Cybertron Downshift - 1st married transformer?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijubot-uk, Apr 3, 2006.

1. kaijubot-uk

kaijubot-uk Keep Running

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Appologies if this has been brought up before.

I was looking at the unlockable material on the Hasbro transformers website, and found Downshift's to be quite interesting. It describes him being separated from his fem-bot lifebond partner. "They had just been joined together under the covenant of Primus" and were splity up during the evacuation of Cybertron.

Would this make him an his "Lifebond Partner" (who isn't named) the first married transformers?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Someone brought this up before, and he decided that the toy was stupid because of it. It doesn't bother me any. In fact, I find it kind of refreshing to add little bits like that to the fiction.

As far as you question, he's the first I know of.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, I didn't know that! Wasn't Orion Pax and Elita-1 like "partners?"

4. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Oh yes, here we go. That last thread was AWEOME. I'm gonna get a lawn chair and a bucket of popcorn and just watch the failure parade.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    *sits, steals popcorn*

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Soundwave beat Downshift (Robot Chicken & Family Guy) :D 

7. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Hrm...........If there are fem-bot lifebond partners for male TFs that brings up other interesting questions. Like, what about the TFs with 'alternative' lifestyles. :) 

YOU CAN'T MARRY A MINICON!

You know that's not what I meant...!

8. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Hey, now, some of my best friends are minicons, but...you know...I wouldn't let my daughter date one. Not that I'm a racist or anything...

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    "cries a little"

10. Matt Nelson

Matt Nelson Sinner

Wait, this is the guy who turns into the old muscle car, right?

Crap, that makes him SUPAH-cool.

Matt

11. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wait, some guy decided he DIDN'T like Downshift cause of that? What a maroon!

-LB seeks lifebond partner. Robosoms a must.

12. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow.... just wow.

I wonder if Hasbro is hiring writers, cause after seeing that, I think they need a couple of new ones.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    after reading fan reactions like these, cyb downshift will be the 1st divorced TF.

hopefully the pre-nup was iron clad.

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Downshift loses half his energon, his second shuttle, and his house in Iacon, but he gets custody of the two stasis pods.

I'm actually really interested to see if Hasbro throws us his lifebond partner as a Chromia/Thunderblast repaint... probably not but it would be interesting at least.

As for the character aspect of it... it's pretty cool I think, it's kind of an untouched area of Transformers society, and yeah you have to wonder about alternative lifestyle TFs... you know, Rumble and Frenzy did spend a lot of time crammed against each other inside Soundwave... till season 2 when Rumble was outside of Soundwave most of the time, they had a spat when Frenzy made eyes at Buzzsaw.

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Eh, it's kind of refreshing to be honest and the hints of this have been around since Orion Pax and Aerial. And why is it that it's not cool for a modern day TF story to incorporate someting like that, but I don't remember any of this kind of whining (granted the internet wasn't quite as big yet) when Tigatron and Airazor were getting all romantic or when Silverbolt and Blackarachnia were doing the same? So, it's okay for the BW guys, but not for the new generation?

Seriously people. I'd like a real explanation as to why it's alright for the BW couplings, but it isn't okay for Downshift to have a female lifebond partner? Give me a break please.

Oh and I'm with you Omegas. I'd like to see them bring out a repaint of Thunderblast as Downshift's lifebond partner. I think that'd be cool. But you know no parent will than by both for their kid, because in today's redneck american society... they'd be all like "I'm not buying you that female lifebond partner so you can go play house with you TFs!"

16. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Rednecks are more concerned with Nascar than TFs. They probably wouldn't know how to transform a Minicon with instructions.

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Good point. Or maybe they'd pass some law in Alabama about how robots can't have lifebond partners... :D 

18. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Hey how are ya? Maroon here. I didn't like the idea of transformers getting married and having fembot life partners. I felt that, for kids, the idea that Downshift is a family-bot is boring and such a cool toy could have a really exciting, cool, whatever bio. Contrary to what people think, I do not think that the toy sucks, or should be scrapped or whatever, I was just stating an opinion, something that apparently is frowned upon here.

19. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

Well his main Bio is cool, Presenting Downshift as a bot who uses cunning to beat stronger opponents, the "Life partner" stuff is only on the bonus website link

While I tend to agree that the "Life Partner" stuff is crappy (Hasbro does seem to have an urge to over-Humanise the Transformers sometimes, as evidenced by the existance of TF Fembots in the first place) at least this was actaully kept low key. Unlike the BW relationships, which raised all sorts of strange questions.

This whole thread reminds me of a Line from Futuarma:

20. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yes, but the problem wasn't with what you said so much as how you said it. I remember the original thread and you came off like you were dissing both Hasbro for doing it and I believe you said something about not wanting the toy now because of it.

Here's what you wrote:

I think you got a little worked up over something really silly.