Cybertron - Distance from Earth?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AllSpark Shard, Aug 21, 2009.

1. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

Hi. I dont know if this has been discussed, if so, i apologize. But i have wondered quite often...how far away was Cybertron from Earth?

I think there is no definitive data on this, although i think i heard someone say that in the Marvel Comics it was mentioned that Cybertron was in one of the galaxies nearest to Earth. But even that, would be very far away, Andromeda is 2.5 million years away. I think it was Alpha Centauri system, but it is 4.37 light years away, so although it is the closest, it would take almost five years to reach it.

I mean, in the first episode of More than meets the eye, in G1, the Autobots and the Decepticons leave Cybertron and a few minutes later they crash land on Earth.

Now, obviously the whole situation, the invasion of the Ark, the battle, all this had to last at least a few hours, it clearly couldnt last the 5 min it is on screen, its condensed. Taking in consideration they were traveling through space, its very likely they were traveling at lightspeed. Cybertron is always said to be "very far away" from Earth. Also, i dont think they entered the solar system from its far ends, i mean Pluto, they may have done so bypassing most of the planets by entering Earth's orbit from another direction.

In Bay's movies, Starscream is shown returning to Cybertron. Two years have passed in ROTF, and Starscream had been there already for some time, then Megatron is revived and returns to the Fallen's side. He just, stands up and runs away, xD...All that in the same year, i think not months, not even weeks pass between his resurrection and his return to Earth.

So, it seems there is something the writers overlooked in the script, right? If Starscream and Megatron returned so quickly, that would mean theyre capable of lightspeed travel, or something. Unless they could teleport, or be able to bend time and space. But considering distances in space, it would always take a long time to reach Cybertron, at least a few months. Only place in the universe that takes days to reach is the moon, you can be there in 3 days. But another planet? Thats another matter.

So i guess there's nothing conclusive about this, right? All we know for sure is that Cybertron is really far away from Earth, but this doesnt seem to be taken in consideration, obviously because of the needs of the stories, and is understandable.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I'm not really sure on exact distances, but I was under the impression that Cybertron is alot closer to Earth following the events of The Ultimate Doom in G1.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I thought the Transformers guide says that Cybertron was located in the Alpha Centauri star system?

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Hey I get to play science guy.

The closest star to our own would be Proxima Centauri at 4.2 light years from Earth. It's a red dwarf though and a flare star that acts a bit weird so it doesn't seem like a very good place to find Cybertron.

Next out would be Centauri A and B at 4.4 light years. Once again not a good place to put Cybertron because it's a binary star system so it would be heck to get an orbit around that.

Then we have Barnard's Star at about 6 light years from Earth another red dwarf but there is some healthy debate about possible planets in that system.

Wolf 359 is 7.8 light years from Earth but once again the problems of being both a red dwarf and a flare star.

The nearest stars we've found with planets so far are Epsilon Eridani at 10.5 light years and Gliese 876 at 15.3 light years.

At light speed or even double light speed it is still a very long trip between Earth and any other stars so unless they have some way to fold space it's going to take a while to cover that much space.

My guess is that like a lot of science fiction the writers never sit down with a pile of research to figure out where things would likely be at or how long it would really take to get there at the speeds they have worked out for their alien races. I think only a few series like Stargate actually sat down and figured up if subspace travel is at X rate and the planets are Y distance apart then it would take Z time to get there. But that was mostly as a method to show why the Stargates were so important.

Sort of hard to fault the writers on miscalculations on space travel when so many other stories also suffer from the same problem. It seems writers just put in how ever long they feel they need to get from point A to point B to be covenant.

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    honestly when they made G1 I don't think any one every thought they would end up with people trying to place it in real life so I'm not going to stress out over a kids show.

Now that Gobot planet... that's real I swear

6. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In the Baymovieverse comics Starscream only flew back to Mars where the Decepticon's ship was waiting, then took a ship back to Cybertron. That ship had whatever passes as Transwarp drive, so it could go anywhere in one jump. Most of that travel time between the two movies was just him traveling conventionally from Earth to Mars. I don't think Starscream has any Transwarp or FTL abilities himself, and couldn't return to Cybertron unaided.

7. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Isn't Planet X really Cybertron? Lol.

8. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

I remember in armada last episode optimus said

"So next time you look up in to space and see a peacefull star far far away it just might be Cybertron"

so obviously the distance is "far far away"

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

In Bays Movie they never said that Starscream returned to Cybertron.

I do believe they said so in the follow up comic to the first film but the comics arent always canon with the film.

And Megatron went to the Fallens side....but that wasnt on Cybertron either.

10. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This has been discussed to death.
    The fallen was on mars...which is where starscream and megatron flew to.
    They did NOT return to cybertron.
    /thread

11. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Wasn't Cybertron sort of drifting through space anyway? And if Starscream and The Fallen were on Mars, then there's a nebula and another gas giant somewhere in our solar system.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the Marvel Comics, Cybertron originated in Alpha Centauri (that's within our galaxy, the Milky Way, just for reference), but was shaken from its orbit and drifted throughout the galaxy forevermore. It eventually came to pass through our solar system, and threatened to collide with the asteroid belt, so the Ark was launched to blast the asteroids out of its way. The Ark proceeded to crash on nearby Earth, and Cybertron drifted off over the ensuing millennia.

In the Generation 1 cartoon, Cybertron's initial location is generally shown to be outside of the Milky Way galaxy: "Transport to Oblivion" notes that the space bridge between Earth and Cybertron is inter-galactic, "Roll For It" shows the planet outside a galaxy, and "The Ultimate Doom" notes that the apex of the Space Pyramid that will pull Cybertron into Earth orbit is beyond the Milky Way Galaxy. The notion that Skyfire and Starscream could fly between the planets under their own power in "Fire in the Sky", then, is fairly ridiculous, and as the OP says, you would have to assume unspoken light-speed travel to account for the journey-time to Earth in "More Than Meets the Eye"; quite possibly, G1 cartoon Cybertron is not fixed in space, and drifts as in the Marvel Comics, pasing through our system to allow those two travels. Its placed in the universe was, of course, forcibly altered in "The Ultimate Doom," when it was brought into the Milky Way.

In Dreamwave's comics, Cybertron never left Alpha Centauri.

13. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    one tank of gas the omega supreme rocket flies...there was an episode where omega was flying autobots to cybertron and got close but ran out of fuel and crash landed on a near by asteroid....

14. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

You'll likely find that, similarly to spaceships in Babylon 5 which "travel at the speed of plot", Cybertron is, perhaps, a plot's length from Earth.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
  16. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

That's actually where I checked for my B5 quote (and got very sidetracked looking up other tropes... I liked that they use Optimus Prime / The Touch as the example for the Theme Music Power Up :)  )