Cybertron Dark Crumplezone

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Jan 31, 2006.

1. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haven't seen a thread on him yet so I thought I'd start one.

I got him this weekend and he is absolutely fantastic. This is a case of taking an average mold with an average paint app and just improving it a thousand times.

He's the most extensive remold I can remember with his head, chest, back, feet, and arms all having been redone. He has added accessories in the new wings that work as sort of stabilizers over his rear tires. The fold out wings he previously had are much tighter than before and stay folded in on his arms when he is in bot mode.

His head remold looks great and with the green face and now darker helmet and mouth he really looks like the bastard child of MOTU Trap Jaw.

A great figure and a definite buy even if you already have Crumplezone. Fans in Japan are kicking themselves over Takara not releasing this one.

In an interesting bit his vehicle mode now really reminds me of the new Batman Begins Batmobile design. It's as if AA went to see it and said to himself... "heck, we could make Crumplezone look like that!"

2. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

I agree, Armbullet is pretty cool. The fact that Takara didn't release him makes him that much more special, especially since I only collected GF. Sure, his colours aren't 100% accurate to the show, but it's good enough for me!

[​IMG]

3. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I dare say he is a completely new mold. I think it was said that if a toy is more than 50% changed, it needs a new mold to produce. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the figure I heard.

Just got him last night and I love 'im. The only thing that bothers me is that the wings on his arm are the same color as his body and not maroon, but I can live with it, no need to go all Star Wars on Hasbro for this.

4. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if there is a difference of 50%, but what is done was done cleverly. Many of the most noticable pieces were completely redone, while parts that tend to be hidden in one mode or both are frequently the same. This gives the illusion that the changes are more extensive than they are (and they are pretty extensive to begin with).

Overall I like the redeco. The shape of the vehicle mode is radically altered, and the color scheme so different that there's barely a trace of the old CZ left - it can easily pass as a new character if you're so inclined. A nice touch is the addition of a minicon port on his back. My one complaint here is that the new guns on the cockpit can't swivel foward in robot mode, so DCZ has them constantly pointing at his kneecaps. Of course, if there is one transformer that I can see blowing off his own kneecaps, it'd be Crumplezone.

In the end, what you have here is more of the same, only different. Any design aspects you took issue with in the original are likely carried over here, so don't let the new package fool you. If you loved CZ, the toy's a safe bet. If you found CZ mediocre, I doubt this will change your opinion unless you absolutely hated the colors in the first one. And if you hated CZ, I don't see much point in grabbing the repaint.

Quick rundown of the parts as I can see them:

Cyberkey - the same, of course
    Face - different
    Jaw - same
    Back of head - same
    Eyes/light piping - same
    Head hinge - same
    Torso hinges - same
    missiles - different
    launchers - same
    launcher collar - different
    trigger/internal mechanisms - assume to be the same
    shoulder - same
    upper arm - same
    elbow joint - same
    forarm - different
    arm wings - slightly different (essentially the same wing with a modified hinge to fit the new arm)
    fists - same
    cockpit/front torso - different
    front torso, right and left side - same
    upper back/sound box - different
    lower back/key hole - same
    hips - same
    hip joint - same
    thigh - same
    lower leg - different
    knee joint - same
    wheels and axels - same
    feet - different

5. Mexi-Con

Mexi-Con ...Stop Me When I'm Lying

Ebay:
    Thanks for the review! I didn't bother getting the Green one, so I doubt I'll bother with getting the Dark one. Unless of course I find one cheap or on clearence. lol.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

LOL, I completely agree with you on both. In fact, when I first saw it on the shelf, the Tumbler from BB is all I could think of. I also agree with your review.

I'm very pleased with this purchase; it was well worth it, and almost makes me feel like I wasted the money by buying Crumplezone.

He's already got a home in my shelves, as part of Universe Nemesis Primes task force, and partnered with E Dreadwing, both have a kind of tribal tattooing/paint job and look sharp next to each other, IMHO.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I got him today, and I have crumplezone too... he's about 4 steps above regular crumps, but I have one BIG gripe: his freakin' arm articulation! :mad  his elbows bend what, ten degrees?? no excuse for that, there's a hunk molded on the back of them that prevents their full range that serves no purpose, WTF?? I'd honestly have given him a huge A, but that drops him down to a B, bypassing A- and B+, it REALLY hurts his posability.

-Andy

8. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

Mine's like that too

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I noticed the arm articulation gripe, but I still haven't gotten around to checking Crumplezone to see if it had been my imagination or not at work, so I didn't comment on it.

I should also note that I freaked out after I opened it, becuse I couldn't find the wing fenders, though eventually I did (on the bottom).

10. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Just got him. I never got the green guy. He just didn't sit well with me. I got to say that I like this repaint and slight remold. His arm articulation may not be all that but I still like him.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you're saying he's LESS posable than regular Crumps?

12. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

He is, but only just a sliver less. If it bugs you that he can't stand at attention, then it's no big deal. :) 

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    surely you could just sand or file off that lump, therefore returning his posability to him.

14. Hot-Shot!!!

Hot-Shot!!! Transform and rise up!

Ebay:
    got him a while ago and passed up the orginal for it. the color scheme is very well done. My nephew got the original CZ and brought it over so i got to compare the two. DCZ is completley better except for the sfx. that CZ's only advantage

but hey, now I got the dastardly duo and it's all good :D 

15. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

Just got the figure, and love his color scheme and everything. I do have one question though, does anyone else's have uneven cannons?

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd love to answer that, but mine is still boxed up. Which cannons are you referring to, the massive hyper-bazookas or the ones on the hood? I'll take a look at my boxed one and see what I can see.

17. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I mean the big cannons. Sorry I wasn't specific enough.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Can't see anything on mine, but then since he's boxed they're probably supported by the packaging. I'm likely saving him for my birthday week after next (hey, a guy's got to give himself a gift or two, right? ;) )
    Odds are, though, it might just be a one off thing due to the way the cannon mechanism works.

19. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    Looks good... I´m thinking in grab one.