Cybertron Brimstone

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Cloudraker, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Cloudraker

Cloudraker on auto-pilot

I thought I would start a new feedback thread for Brimstone since I just got one and am really excited!
    I hope I am not stepping on anyones toes here. Anyways here goes.
    I'll start by posting what noticable paint apps are different then his Japanese counterpart since so many fans seem to want to know that the most.
    All I can really say is that The colors all around seem to be slightly subdued compared to Terrashaver, But that could just be the camera or computer screen. You be the judge.
    There are those air intakes on his chest that are painted red on Terrashaver and on Cybertron Brimstone they are indeed black. I like this better personally.
    in addition the blades that fold out of the wings have more of an off green paint then bright yellow. Again I like the change.
    Thats all I have noticed off hand.
    The transformation is a bit simple but very effective. Brimstone looks fantastic in both modes. I love the transluscent wings and head sculpts of this figure.
    My only complaint is that it will be quite some time before I make up my mind on which mode to keep him in!
    3 stars,A very cool figure,recommended.
    I am a sucker for most Dinosaur Transformers so this was a no brainer purchase for me and I have no regrets.

2. Queen Dork

Queen Dork Banned

want him badly but havent seen him anywhere yet:( 

3. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

cant wait to grab this fig

4. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I would have Terrashaver right now if it wasn't for a certain bunch of screw ups.

5. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the clarification on Terrashaver VS Brimstone.

I'll sit tight for the later.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Brimstone seems to follow a similar design school as Backstop, in that it looks lame on the surface, but the strange design makes it oddly fascinating.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not nearly the same. Brimstone/Tera Shaver looks good :p .

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you say so dude. :p 

I could do without the clunky color scheme, wasp-sized waist, arm/legs attached to the wings, and undisguised head sticking out of the dino back, personally.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I love the translucent wings and the claw details halfway down the wing. Jungle Planet TFs really stand out among the other Cybertron toys, don't they? They remind me of TMs and TM2s during Beast Wars, not necessarily earth animals, not necessarily symmetrical. Robot modes wouldn't be based on human proportions on a planet without bipeds, now would they? I do appreciate the occasional tiny waist or thin arms and legs, especially on a flyer. It would only make sense.

Brimstone needs some kind of handheld weapon. I wish he had a removable tail/dagger/pistol, like Snarl's only smaller. And I do wish his robot head was better concealed, either able to sink down a bit more or more yellow and purple on his beast mode back to blend the robot head into the beast spine.

And his bio's very well written!

10. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I'm going out on a limb and saying he's the best Jungle Planet mold so far. I am a little suprised to read that his colors have been toned down from Terrashaver (nominee for most rediculous name ever), as his are a bit on the garish side. Actually, the metallic purple is really sweet, and the gold and brown and gray are OK, but the yellow green is a bit too much. Doesn't kill the figure by any stretch, but I wouldn't mind seeing a repaint either.

Love the pterodactyl mode a great deal. Different than what we've seen before in Swoop, Terrorsaur and Skydive. His head is huge, which provides some sweet detail, and the sculpt has real character (I think he's watching me right now!). His wings are just sweet looking - two layers of smokey, translucent plastic, sculpted with lots of detail, with the key gimmick blades visible between them. Gives them a lot of depth and complexity, so you can almost buy him as a real machine.

His legs work well for standing, and his toes are articulated (always a plus). Though there are many joints, there aren't many ways to get the legs to look right, so there may be some fiddling, but all in all it's the best pterosaur I think we've had so far.

Key gimmick works fine, and doesn't interfere with anything, so bonus points. I can see him ripping out of the sky, impaling his prey, and swooping away with them (maybe to drop them again later).

I'd have to say the only drawback to the alt mode is his head, which is very visible. Had it been molded from the same plastic as the rest of the torso it would probably blend well enough, but as is it's an eyesore.

Transformation is unique, with his head becoming a leg. I don't know how, but this detail completely escaped me earlier. Articulation of arms and legs is fine thanks to ball joints, and the hinged digits (fingers now) add some extra dynamics.

The debate here will be with his wings. If I didn't know better, I'd say he's Jetfire in Beast Mode. Very wide and horizontal, there's little to be done with them (though they can still flap up and down). If the look doesn't bother you, then you'll be happy with the bot mode. If you don't like the wings, you may want to pass on the toy (or keep him in alt mode).

At this point I'd recommend the toy with a B, and say most people will enjoy the toy. There are those that won't like its design aesthetics, but they'll probably steer well clear of the figure anyway. Those on a limited budget may want to wait on a better recolor, but Lord knows if or when such a thing will come.

11. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

OF the newest wave, brimstone might be the most interesting, just cause he looks great in alt mode, he looks good in bot mode, has a transformation scheme that hasnt been seen anywhere else, an interesting collor palet, and oh yeah, hes fun to zoom around the room as a pterodactyl.

12. misterd

I'd certainly say he's my favorite of the 3. Crosswise is more impressive on many fronts (and all around a very good figure), but Brimstone is just more fun to fiddle with, and feels more unique.

13. Cloudraker

Cloudraker on auto-pilot

I couldn't agree with you all more.
    Sure, alot of fans are getting tired of repaints,But this TF would look allright with Energon Swoops colors and possibly as an Autobot

14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's a fair bit spiffier than I expected. Originally I was going to pass him up, and just bought him for the name. (Come on... Brimstone, has there ever been a bot with a cooler name than that?) The claws/hands are really quite nice with the extra joint that I wasn't expecting. His balance is kinda screwy from the non-flat feet though. He could do with a weapon, I'm thinking an E-Cruellock sword would go wonderfull with his wing blades. Though even a tail->peashooter kinda thing would be cool. Not sure yellow was the best idea for a bird, but it's so bad.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Found a lone Brinstone tonight...I couldn;t wait to get home and crack it open.

Based on the inital pics from the internet of the GF version I would have sworn the Cybertron version would be named Skywarp due to the colors and the face resembling Armada Skywarp but I was happy to see a new name being used, and a cool one at that.

Brimstone's alt mode is a little stranger then I originally thought...the pteranodon head looks way to big for the body and the legs are pretty stumpy...but I mean it's a Dinosaur so I cant complain much!

The robot mode is very simple but effective...the waist is super skinny but it looks like it's athletically toned and ready to kick a butt or three. The articulation is fairly top-notch to boot.

The colors actually blend fairly well surprisinly enough and the key gimmick works well in both modes.

Brimstone easily made it to my top 10 fav Cybertron toys to date. Easy A.

16. misterd

Technically he's not. Pterosaurs and dinosaurs are kissin' cousins, but dinos are pretty much limited to the land-living, non-flying "reptiles" of Triassic-Cretaceou age.

17. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I thought I'd add my 2-cents worth. Out of all the Cybertron figures so far (and I've got 'em all), I have to say this is the worst one for one major reason. Now, maybe it's just mine, but his arms WILL NOT STAY ON! They constantly pop off their ball joints whenever I touch them. Hell, sometimes I just have to look at the fig. and they fall off and then it takes a lot of strength to pop them back into their sockets and it foten takes 2-3 tries to get it right.....am I alone here? Is my figure the crappy-arm variant? Help! Other than this defect, it's not such a bad figure, but I like to swing his wings up, so they're vertical when he's in robot mode, he just looks cooler that way (and it's a slight extra step in an otherwise uninspired and simplistic transformation).

18. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i got him and he freaken walks

19. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

rocks not walks

20. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The arms on mine stay on pretty well. Havn't popped off yet. This figure is pretty cool. Kinda simplistic, but OK. I'd love to see a anime-accurate BW Terrorsaur-inspired repaint of this guy.