Cybertron Brakedown

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Grimlock_13, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Once again, I don't really want to go into an in depth review of the toy, so if someone wants to provide that please feel free to do so. I just wanted to share my feelings on it.

I got Brakedown last Monday and have had a few chances to mess around with it. The vehicle mode is pretty strange, reminds me of astetics of the Vehicon basics from BM. It definitely looks like it could tear up a racetrack, so of course it fits right in with the other Speed Planet Autobots. (Also, I need to take pictures of a 'rototiller/ wheelbarrow mode' attained by taking off the engine/ weapon and flipping the front end of the vehicle back:lol )

The main disappointment for me in vehicle mode is the fact the planet key has to be set aside after activating the spike gimmick to be placed back on the toy, and couple be easily lost.

In robot mode, Brakedown looks, IMO like a renegade from the ill fated Transtech line (Cheetor maybe? Its been awhile since I've looked at the design art), mainly based on the way the body is shaped with the thin waist and legs. Brakedown's tiny little arms are a little ridiculous, but aren't near as bad as Energon Arcee's flippers:lol 
    The articulation in robot mode isn't bad, I do with the shoulders could rotate out, but they do have a full up and down range of motion.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with Brakedown. I'd give it a B+. Now I only with I could find Armorhide :( 

2. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

cant wait to get this wave of figures

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Detail-wise, he looks similar to some of the Transtech designs. But in reality, he's War Within Kup in disguise :p .

Seriously, check it out. He's Kup, simply "retooled" so that he's a bare racing frame in vehicle mode, and a more techy looking 'bot. Only difference in transformation is that Kup keeps his vehicle mode front hanging off his butt like a skirt, ala Alternators Sideswipe, whereas Breakdown's folds up.

4. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    Sweet I've never seen WW Kup...know of any site that had pics, I'd love to see them!

5. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
  6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My only problem with him is tiny little arms... Otherwise a cool figure...

7. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i picked up Armorhide instead of Brakedown and honestly i kind of regret it now...

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You don't like Armorhide?? He is the best scout yet! Scattershot is second IMO.

9. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Just got Armorhide. He is cool but a little stumpy.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ive been meaning to get him for the cool colors and nice bot mode but i dont like the alt mode. too BMish.

11. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I just got him today (well him and Undermine) and soo far I think he's cool. I lose the alt mode and the robot mode is pretty cool. Im glad Im not the only one who got a Kup vibe from him.

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only thing I don't like about Brakedown is the weapon. Other than that, he's a cool little bot. The face is better than the toon's too.

13. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

i like breakdown alot, not the best scout but i like him. I have nothing wrong with his shor forearms. The wheels at the front annoy me a bit though as they neve spin and their tiny

14. artiepants

News Credits:
    Got him last night @ the Target sale.

totaly rocks, i really love his inventive transsformation and exagerated proportions. nice articulation for his size (the Cyb basics do seem smaller to me than the energon basics, and the deluxes larger...)

nice deco, great head sculpt (tons of personality) sweet details ~ alt mode is a little to "futuristic' for my tastes, but still plausible enough and radically differnt from his bot mode: i.e. he doesn't just look like a folded up bot...

My favorite basic of the ones i've picked up so far...

15. artiepants

News Credits:
    Too chunky and short, kinda lame gimmick, and the lack of clear windows on the front panel really kills his alt mode... he's "ok", but has a lot of little niggling things that bu me out...

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I figured that, since I already had all of the other spedia guys (save for Dirt Boss, who is really repulsively ugly), I'd pick this guy up. I wish I had saved my money.

Don't get me wrong, he's a cool little guy. I don't think he's a bad figure by any means. But I don't think he's all that great either. I give him a C+. He's a little better than average. Just a little.

17. Rodr-Onslaught

Rodr-Onslaught Well-Known Member

I buy it last week and is very cool, love the alt mode, very well done, it's like a cybertronian minicar or something, very very cool. Bot mode is almost perfect, love the head and details. 8.5/10

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I like him on a lot of levels, but he's also got problems and like most of the Cyb Basics, those faults lie at the heart of the toyline.

The good - I really like the vehicle mode. A cybertronian dragster with big honking energon wheels. I like it even better with the blade deployed.

Robot mode has some very dramatic lines, and I really like the head sculpt. Pulling off character in a basic sized head sculpt is pretty difficult, but I think they did an admirable job. Articulation is as good as can be expected. The only flaw for me is the stubby forearms. Given their position in alt mode, I don't see why they couldn't have been made a couple of mm longer.

The real flaw here is the key gimmick. I think it fair to say mechanical gimmicks just don't work well in small toys. That was true of the throttlebots, the auto-transforming beasts, and now the Cyb basics. The keys are much too large for the figures, and the mechanics take up too much space. We often end up with clunky, oversized blocks that are supposed to be weapons, if you use some imagination (see Clocker and Ransack as well as Brakedown). Here, the key won't even fit in the weapon while it is in vehicle mode, so you need to disassemble it to pop out the blade. In robot mode, there is no way for Brakedown to hold the weapon while key is in it. This design compromise certainly allowed for a better vehicle mode, but it doesn't stop it from being annoying.

If not for the key problems,I would have given the figure a B+, maybe even an A-, but the problem is so obvious and detrimental to the feature that is supposed to be the line's selling point, that I'd knock him down to a B-.

19. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Key problems aside, the basics have really appealed to me in Cybertron, much more than they did in Energon.

Brakedown has a great vehicle mode, which like some others have said, looks like it wouldn't be out of place in Beast Machines. The robot mode is another matter. The face would be too 'humanized' for a Vehicon.

I think the color scheme is very nice, particularly the bronze on the dark brown. And the bio really finished the sale as well. Rolls well, and has good articulation for the size.

20. Grimlock_13

News Credits:
    He actually can hold the weapon in robot mode w/ the key activated, but it looks really awkward...

I totally the agree 100% about the key gimmick annoyance though