Cybertron Armada Repaints: Optimus Prime & Demolishor

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Feralstorm, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This message assumes some familiarity with the Armada toys.

I never planned to get Demolishor, but when I saw him in the store, my "hey, new Cyber Key!" sense won out.

Both these Armada toys are not remolded in any way, but the companion minicons are gone, and replaced with a new/remolded cyber key, which has a minicon socket on the back to interact with the mini-activated features of the toys. It's basically a Cybertron planet key with the socket added and the molded faction symbol(s) removed and relpaced with printed versions. Optimus' key is clear with a red boder and Autobot symbol, and Demolishor's has a purple border and Devep symbol. This made them different enough for me to find interesting.

Demolishor:
    Not as brightly colored as some photos implied. I remember calling it "vegetable medley" earlier, but it's a bit duller and more military-looking in person, which works for Demmy. If you like green and "autumn" tones, you'll probably like it, though it's not necessarily worth it if you already have an earlier release of the mold.

Optimus:
    First off, the reversed elbows seen in test shots have been FIXED, or at least they have been on mine. It's basically Armada bendy Prime in the "Galaxy Force" Cybertron repaint colors. Red is a brighter shade, and most blue is now a dark gray. I'd like it better if the gray was black, or a cooler, bluer shade instead of the warm gray used. Several paint details were added to make the Armada toy look more like the Cybertron incarnation, but it doesn't quite pull it off. If you're a fan of the mold, it's a pretty good version. If not, this probably won't change anyone's mind. Besides, with the minicon gone, he's got no hand weapon.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That's two independent reports of the elbows being fixed now (that I'm aware of). Looks like the early test shots might have been done using the Magnus molds and that was ironed out before production. At any rate I don't recall proof positive that the elbows are backwards on any, either.
    I'll judge these two if I see them, which is admitidly unlikely to happen, but since I've got them both in their original versions I doubt I'll lose sleep over not having them. Thanks for the impressions though.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll admit, I bought these more because they had different-looking keys with them, than for the toys themselves. (Especially true in Demolishor's case). Thankfully they are not ugly repaints, at least IMO.

4. Deathy G1

Deathy G1 Such a trustworthy being!

I was never too worried about the elbows, as the Magnus fix wasn't that hard to do. How is the quality of the Prime? Is there mold degradation?

5. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    My Prime's arms are fixed too, right out of the package. As far as the mold degradation question, Nemesis Prime had a bad neck ball joint, so did the Magnus version. This version seems fixed in that regard. The shoulders seem a little more loose to transform than I remember on the previous versions of the mold but that's not too bad. The only flaw I see in mine is that his arm guns are on the wrong arms. Otherwise, he seems just fine.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The arm guns come off y'know.

7. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    If i just talked about mold degradation and previous versions of the mold one would assume I know this already. Yes? :D  I was just pointing out the only thing I saw that was odd or out of place. As I was replying here the first time I was switching them.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IMO that Demolishor is the worst version yet. I'd rank them Energon/SuperLink, Powerlinx, original, Cybertron.

The Prime is cool but seems a bit pointless to me. I'm sure there were cooler things they could've done.

9. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I'm in love with the C-Bendy. (yes, I'm going to marry it...:rolleyes2 )

The accents on his head sculpt bring out details heretofore unnoticed (by me, at any rate).

Here's a pic of him trying out different minicons to be his gun ( i was planning on repainting a spare Targetmaster Minicon to be his buddy... I ended up choosing the spare Leader-1, to be renamed Orion.)

Now, he will be complete... a great repaint, solid construction this time around, and his partner.

[​IMG]

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I just picked up C. Bendy Prime.

This is my first time with this mold, and I'm pretty happy with it. The arms were assembled properly, and I got the version with the Cyber Planet Key symbols on the truck... the symbols don't really look bad, but they are unnecessary.

I really want a minicon gun for him though. Even a G1 Targetmaster gun would work.

Key gimmick is lame, but at least the rest of the toy is entertaining enough that it's superfluous.

11. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Review of Cybertron Demolishor

[​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Cybertron Demolishor is, of course, a simple repaint of Armada Demolishor. But seeing as it's been five years since I've reviewed the original, this repaint scores a full review of its own.

Robot Mode: Demolishor is definitely one of the better molds created for the Armada series, though he does seem just the slightest bit archaic among the Cybertron figures. He doesn't really have any shortcomings in terms of detailing and his posability is, for the most part, quite good, except for one important thing: He lacks proper knees. His knees can only bend backwards (for the transformation), not forward, so posing him does look a bit awkward here and there.

Apart from that, though, I really dig Demolishor's robot mode. I especially like his gun barrel fingers and how he can convert his arms into an attack mode. The new coloring, green and beige, is a bit more military-like than the original red and beige, but I wouldn't call it particularly better or worse than the original version.

Unlike other Armada and Energon figures recycled for the Cybertron series, Demolishor did not receive a Cyberkey slot, but rather retains his original Minicon port. Instead of a Minicon he now has a Cyberkey with a Minicon knob sculpted onto its backside. A bit of a cop-out, but Demolishor's gimmick was never that great anyway, as it just causes his left missile launcher to extend a bit, nothing more. So all in all, still a good robot mode, neither better nor worse than it was in Armada.

Vehicle Mode: Of course Demolishor still transforms into that strange missile tank thing that he did in Armada days. Here is where the lack of a Minicon partner grates a bit more, seeing as there is no one to occupy the chair on the rear of the tank. You can, of course, twist the chair around in various positions so it doesn't quite look like a chair, but pretty much all the other configurations just look strange. No changes apart from that. The gimmick, what there is to it, works here as well, of course and the new paint job fits, too. So bottom line, a good military vehicle mode.

Remarks: Demolishor was a core member of the Decepticon cast in both Armada and Energon, but didn't return in the Cybertron series. His toy profile hints that he retired after the apparent death of Galvatron and only returned because Cybertron was in danger from the Scrapmetal vermin. Having apparently recovered from his dumbing-down in Energon, he's back in his original body. How? No idea, but it's kind of nice to see him again, as he was one of the most interesting Decepticons in the Unicron-Trilogy (at least until halfway through Energon). Now this figure is far from a must-have, but it's a good, solid Decepticon figure and seeing as it portrays one of the few important characters from the Unicron-Trilogy not inspired by older G1 characters, it's definitely worth getting. Also, you can probably pick up one of these relatively cheap.

Rating: B

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

One minor point, Phil: Demolishor's knees bend just fine. You've just forgotten to turn his waist around.
    Also, while I agree that lack of a Minicon to fill the chair (or more significantly, the launcher position) in his vehicle mode is a downside, you can at least flip the seat back so it's underneath, which reveals some pretty cool detailing which doesn't look out of place.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As Ramraider said, you forgot to rotate the waist (it does say to do that in the instructions and shows it on the back of the box picture)

he looks ok but the armada colouring just looked better IMO

14. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, my bad. Gonna have to fix that.

15. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I never knew this toy existed in this deco... Looks really good.

16. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, here are the promised pics with the correct hip configuration:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I feel all times they repaint Transformers Cybertron toys they should use the Planet keys with the Minicon slot as it's handy to have one that is storable.