Cybertron after "The Ultimate Doom"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Thundershot, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rewatching the shows on the Hub, I've been reminded that at the end of "The Ultimate Doom", Cybertron never went back to where it came from. Even the following episode, Starscream flies back and forth casually. Does this mean Cybertron is in our solar system? By the time of the movie, it's clearly not, because they'd be worried about Earth being eaten, too.

Just wondering, since I've never seen this discussed.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never thought of that, but it does make sense. However, it might have eventually drifted futher off, as after "Countdown to Extinction", they had to use the Space Bridge again to get there. The only other time Starscream flies there is after he leaves the asteroid in "Revenge of Bruticus", but that was after Blast-Off had towed it for a while. In any event, as much sense as any argument could make, i doubt the cartoon intended for any of it.

3. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh there's a lot of things in the cartoon that make no sense, but maybe it did drift off, but there's no way it found it's way back to it's original location.

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prior to "The Ultimate Doom", the cartoon pretty consistently depicts Cybertron as existing not outside of our solar system, but actually in an entirely different galaxy. It obviously couldn't have found its way back to its starting point after being pulled into the Milky Way in TUD, but yeah, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it must have drifted off out of the solar system in fairly short order. After all, Quintesson and Junkion are somewhere between it and Earth by 2005!

I also like to imagine that the massively reduced difference between the two planets is why space bridge travel was so stable afterwards - before TUD, there was that whole vehicle-with-a-driver concern when it came to using the bridge, but not after.

5. Slain

Slain Decepticon

I always figured it kept drifting away... so they could pop back and forth for a while, and later had to resort to using the space bridge again. By the time of THE Movie, it would be far away enough to not really threaten Earth yet. And at that point, it was far enough to warrant space ships to carry the 'bots back to Autobot city...

6. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I assumed the explosion cause what brought it there in the first place to return where it came from. The G1 cartoon, like all other 80s cartoons had a knack for returning things to the status quo. Starscream already had the capability to fly back and forth on his own back in Fire in the Sky so it was no coincidence he can fly back and forth from Cybertron in less the 8 Earth hours.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That was pretty much my view of things.

If that's true, now I'm wondering how the hell Starscream and Skyfire got to Earth way back when (given the relatively consistent-with-itself first season) in 'Fire in the Sky'

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Cybertron ended up wherever the writers needed it to be. By the Rebirth it was back in Earth orbit again, though granted that was Galvatron using planet sized engines to move the thing.

Point is, it couldn't have been that far away to get there.

9. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Heh, THAT's why I said only "pretty consistent", not "absolutely". :)  I like to think that it's because Cybertron isn't fixed in space, and was drifting through our solar system at the time, going on to leave the galaxy over the ensuing nine million years.

(For reference's sake, "Transport to Oblivion" calls the space bridge "intergalactic", "Roll For It" shows Cybertron existing outside of a spiral galaxy in a starless void, and "The Ultimate Doom" says the apex of the space pyramid lies "beyond this galaxy".)

10. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I alway beleived it was in the solarsystem because it was so easy for them to get to after that.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    According to the Marvel comics Cybertron was adrift through space, and passed through our solar systems asteroid belt, which is what made Prime put the Ark crew together in the first place.

So it's near here, on a cosmic scale.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's about as good an answer as I should expect. Makes sense that Cybertron was near-ish to our solar system somewhere around four million years ago, what with it only taking a seemingly short trip to crash on Earth (and one could assume that the cartoon matches with the comic and the rocks the Ark went through are from our asteroid belt) I suppose either Starscream & Jetfire were explorers not very long before then, or maybe Earth and Cybertron's paths intersected at more than one point. Gotta ignore that Starscream was somehow appearing as an F-15 at that time though. :) 

13. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    See, that's where it becomes a pain. Starscream and Skyfire were supposed to have done their exploring just before the war broke out ("before our final falling out with the Autobots"), which would put it at nine million years ago per "War Dawn". So if the planet was drifting by Earth then, it's weird that it'd still be nearby five million years later. I prefer to think the Ark and Nemesis might have just had FTL drives, or something. I enjoy how the modern reimaginings of the story involve space bridges being used to teleport the two ships across the galaxy rather than simply flying from planet to planet.

14. Slain

Slain Decepticon

I think I read somewhere (don't remember) that before the War there were a lot of space bridges, but that lack of energy / destruction ended that "golden" era.

Don't remember if that was in this continuity family or not...

15. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I figure it would have somehow drifted away, not to it's original point but wherever it wound up. Maybe on it's way out there it drifted by Lithone and stole a few moons. :D