Cybertron Adventures review.

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Nerdicon, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

Ebay:
    I just spent some in depth time with cybertron adventures and I'm going to do a mini review.
    EDIT: Spent even MORE time with the game so I'm adding to the review.

Presentation 9/10

The menus are clean everything is easy to get into. I was miffed there's no brightness control but that's mostly my tv.

Graphics 9/10 (for the wii)

The character models rival the 360/ps3/pc counterpart. Seriously. Realized most of my previous issues were due to my TV. Level Graphics are amazing. When you fly you'll see what I mean. Some areas can be a little tron-ish (cyber-TRON lol) But they get the job done and the frame rate is really consistent.

Sound 11/10
    The sound really blows you away. The acting is spectacular and every VA fits the character. The dialog is also very deep and dark. Hearing starscream bitch about being given grunt work only to bemoan you over the radio is awesome. If you just sit back several characters just have banter and it's full of little character nods. Even the between level narration reminds me of the old narrator from g1.
    Music is also a treat. It's an epic booming score that is right at home in my ears. But then again transformers is supposed to sound good.In some levels its almost nonexsistant though. But when it's there oooooh man it's good stuff.

Side note; I've heard complaints about the new tf sound but I like it.

Story-10/10 Not going to spoil anything but suffice it to say It's new transformers fiction. It's good. This game takes place between the two campaigns from the next gen brethren. It starts right after the opening video we've all seen with a certain giant cityformer making a large crater in a certain cybernetic world. (not naming names) The two campaigns (yep there are two) take place at about the same time and they overlap some too. It's neat being able to play from 2 different perspectives. Bumblebee is himself! Always running ahead and getting caught! Nice. The Dialog between characters is so g1 with the little jokes and things left and right (especially the witty banter between AirRaid and Jet Fire)
    Character playable: In order of appearance
    Bots: SideSwipe, Bumblebee, Air Raid, Iron Hide, Jetfire, Optimus (you play as bee twice I think and air raid twice.)
    Cons:Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Thundercracker, Skywarp (only at 50 percent so.... I'll update later.)
    Gameplay 8/10 ah screw it 10/10
    First off... YES it's a rail shooter. And an old school arcade driving game.
    Some of you may be weirded out by the shift in gameplay style. But, if you take a step back and see what they are trying to do here it makes sense. The gameplay is still pretty interactive for a rail shooter. Kinda reminds me of Deadspace acctually (my fav wii game). The game auto walks/runs to each location and usually the enemies are already attacking someone else. You use the simple cover mechanic (time crisis anyone) to hide behind stuff. Popping out only to lay waste to your enemies. As you get combo's this little meter fills. Keep it high for 2 reasons. 1; You get more ammo in each gun and 2: You get more points.
    To keep it high you kill enemies To do this Each character has 4 weapons.

Machine gun-weak but high rate of fire and decent spread for taking out swarms of weak enemies. (very useful against the bugs)

Rocket Launcher- Powerful, Locks on to multiple enemies, Great for taking out seekers/aerialbots. (and the snake things that may as well be a rip straight from panzer dragoon)

Sniper Rifle-(personal favorite)Very powerful, great zoom, one hit kills(headshot),Only one shot before reload, takes forever to reload.

And the Character specific weapon-Set to each character. Megatron has a cannon that would be at home in Samus' or megaman's arsenal. Sideswipe has a blaster with moderate zoom and some auto fire. Optimus has his gun.

All in all I love the rail shooter aspect and it's pretty hard as you are defending one player while trying to stay alive yourself. It's pretty frantic when the action heats up. By itself I'd give gameplay 9.5 out of ten becuase all in all it's really fun.
    But then there's the driving... It's a 8/10
    It plays like a mix between DS animated's driving sequences and Spyhunter of all games...
    You have 2 weapons-
    The character weapon only fires straight and it's for killing cars and debris.
    Missiles for locking onto shooting Seekers/Aerialbots. (great fun when you lock on to a bunch)
    You can accelerate or slowdown at will by releasing Z but usually you are times so don't let go. Debris falls in your way so you'll need to shoot it. Luckily it feels more like a mini game and you do get bonus points for doing it fast. As the game progresses there's lots to shoot. And you have to avoid or shoot debris. Don't just avaoid all the time becuase it fills up that meter from before as well.
    But something makes up for the driving. FLYING MISSIONS!
    It's star fox with Panzer Dragoon's Lock on function. Again if you keep the meter high you can lock onto more enemies thus keeping the meter high and getting more points.
    Flying is a solid 10/10.
    The modes are all balanced so as to never make the game dull. Right when you feel like you've killed enough while walking the game transforms into the next type.

Overall 9.5/10
    All in all at the end of the day it's a great game. It's accessible it's pretty and it's, most importantly, FUN! At full price it's a bit much but this will be on the cheap soon and it's worth a pick up becuase it's a between campaigns side story. Certainly rent it. It's really too bad that this game will go forgotten. It's a great game. Please play it and tell me what you think. (just give it a few levels)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Thanks for the review! I've only go tthe Wii at home and I've been waiting for any kind of review on the game. I'd love to pick it up, but I still need some more recommendations before I go out and get it.

3. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

This is the best Transformers game ever made.

How's that?

4. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Good to hear that it's fun. My only gripe is that there seems to be absolutely no replay value, but whatever. I just have three questions-

Are there any BIG boss fights? (Trypticon, specifically)
    What Decepticons are playable?
    Who many levels are there?

5. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

Ebay:
    I've not yet completed it but there will be some big boss fights. As megs I had to fight ratchet. In the bot campaign I had to rescue ratchet after megs whips him. (nice consistency) So far I've only been megatron sideswipe and bumblebee. I promise to add more to this. I'll Even make a guide.

6. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool. I may pick up in the future.

7. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

Ebay:
    Updated the review. Way better than Even My first impressions.